Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 06:44 PM

52 posts, read 39,825 times

Advertisements

How?

Its got a vynil modern floor and thats it
There is a latch under it to access under the house for electric work which probably will never be needed to be used
Its a period 1900 house with big storm doors and beautiful art nouveau stained glassed window front door
Inside
what do i do?

Change the floor to tiles? Or is there art nouveau vinyl?
Ive got spare good dark wood laminate left over from doing my living room so could use that i suppose

Add tiles to the walls inside the porch?
Its not a major priority but it would be nice to do like the usa house doctors advice of kerb appeal....like putting nice planters on your entrance
The big storm doors are open all the time

The space is 6 foot wide by 3 foot deep and id like it to be more than an entering and wiping your feet on the mat space

Or maybe i should get a life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 07:35 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
You should look at pictures of restored houses from then ( NOT on HGTV) and go based on them.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:38 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
If the space is really only 6x3 that is more of a vestibule / airlock than a porch. Outdoor grade wood flooring would be the "norm" though it is possible to use a durable tile or perhaps even authentic linoleum.

Installing Linoleum Flooring from Armstrong Flooring

or

Marmoleum flooring | Forbo Flooring Systems

Old 08-16-2016, 08:53 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Have you tried removing the modern vinyl flooring to see if there is original wood flooring underneath that you could refinish? That would be your optimal solution. After that you could get a real linoleum "rug" or remnant (eBay is your best source) or possibly put down an Oriental rug runner.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:57 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I have an enclosed porch also in my 1890's house. I have used a rattan settee, with sweet pillows that look like they are made from quilt blocks, and some are cross stitched, lace etc. I have used fake bamboo shades...But I don't have the elaborate stained glass that you have, so if I did, I'd not want to cover those up. I have a rattan stand alone shelf that holds lots of little stuff.

I also used a fake oriental rug, for my setting area and matching runner, from my front porch door to my entrance door. You could do a runner in your space, over a wood floor it would look great.

You might want to use an old rocker, or two older chairs for a smaller conversation area, with a tiny table in between instead of a settee which might take too much room in your space.

For your front entrance....I've seen lovely old rattan plant stands, if you can find them, placed on either side of the front door. Any raised pedestal urns would do, and you seem to have a good eye for older pieces, so you'll find something perfect.

I'd do wood flooring, ours is the original painted wood flooring. It is scuffed and the walls are alligator cracked looking paint, in a soft pinky beige color...which I haven't been able to make myself sand and repaint because I love the old imperfect look. ETA....I saw someone posted to peel up the new flooring to check for original wood flooring...GREAT idea!

Mine is larger, what was known as a "sleeping porch" It is about 20x8ft and I have my old Hoosier and an old enamel farm table and chairs at the opposite end from my sitting area. It is full right now with things I've been compiling all year for a yard sale. We are trying to get rid of our hoard of old stuff....retirement is only few years away.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...idea&FORM=IGRE

Old 08-16-2016, 04:04 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
With those dimensions it really is an entrance foyer than a porch. I would put up a few period hooks for clothing and if you can find a storage box system for hats, gloves, etc. I am thinking like the post office mail sorting boxes. The space is really too small to be more of an entrance. You might be able to get a bench seat to pull boots or shoes off in that space.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:07 PM

52 posts, read 39,825 times
Hey all, thank you for all the ideas will check them all out!

Sorry, Im from UK, we call a covered entrance before the main front door a porch, and yes its a small area, somethg big enough to do something with but nothng major, i never thought to take the vinyl up, will do
I think Im taking this period thing a bit too seriously
Sometimes you just wish you hadnt started a thread n middle of the night after a few baileys, eeeek

Old 08-22-2016, 08:32 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
Late night Bailey's and staring at the project has given me some great ideas in restoring a 1920s house. I also want to keep as original as possible with modern touches in the bath and kitchen.
Taking up the vinyl and hoping the wood floor under is salvageable is the best idea. Wood would have been the material of the period.
Keep us posted.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:04 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Yes. There likely is wood under that vinyl. I have even seen painted wood floors that look very sweet if the wood you find isn't in great shape. Even stenciling.

Here the style is to add a strip of rustic old wooden baseboard molding for your cloak/coat/hat rack....Instead of reg. knobs, use old time door knobs screwed into that molding, or even cupboard door pulls, random designs. I have a couple of these, the molding is painted but looks like it is cracked and chipping with all sorts of old fashioned looking knobs....and one has door knobs and I love them.

I painted a landing at the top of my stairs a dark reddish purple once, I loved it.

Since it is an entry size, painting a fake oriental rug, or something from that era might look terrific. Just poly seal it to keep it long wearing.

I can's wait for more pics....

rug ideas
Painted Faux Rugs: Salvaging Old Floors & Your Budget | Apartment Therapy
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/paint-r...ors-33944.html

coat rack baseboard molding ideas
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...rack&FORM=IGRE
Tips for Saving and Reusing Old Baseboard Trim - The Ugly Duckling House
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating