Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 02:54 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times

Advertisements

Since parting with your stuff seems impossible just be aware that anything you store in an outside area, no matter where you live will eventually get ruined. The salt air and sand can beat things up as the storage shed is not air tight. There is always dampness to deal with too. IF it is something I valued, I personally would not put it in an outdoor storage shed. Maybe, you need to reconsider a larger space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 03:09 PM

762 posts, read 611,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here are some techniques and ideas how to deal with small storage spaces:
How to Organize A Lot of Clothing in Very Little Closet Space
https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliegerste...Yd#.oxWAGyVxmW
Bedroom Storage Solutions - IKEA
Best Storage Secrets for Clothes

Or you could get few of those:
Clothes Storage Cabinet Furniture | Best Images Collections HD For Gadget windows Mac Android
Or this:
Clothes Storage Systems In Bedrooms | AllenRanch

CA weather is always nice, so maybe you could buy all-weather storage and place on your patio?
Not sure how much space you have, but check this:
Suncast 20 cu. ft. Vertical Storage Shed (BMS1250) - Storage Sheds & Deck Boxes - Ace Hardware
Sears.com

Have fun organizing!!
LOL that shed you showed me was the one I saved on Amazon. Was exactly the same one I figured I would get.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:11 PM

No you guys are right. I should go through all my stuff and try to get rid of 30% of it. I think that's realistic whether I go to a 1b1b or 2 bedroom. Last night I started to go through boxes to see what to take to work, what to keep, and what to recycle, what to donate, and want to throw out. I have to keep all my clothing. I already downsized them earlier this year!

Old 08-18-2016, 03:14 PM

I also actually posted back on the San Diego board that in my current area there's a 2b2b that will become available around the same time. Storage wouldn't be an issue but it's suburban and not by the beach. Decisions decisions =(

Old 08-18-2016, 03:17 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times
You need to ask strangers on the internet for advice on how to get rid of some of your stuff?

Really?

This thread title is perfectly named.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
You need to ask strangers on the internet for advice on how to get rid of some of your stuff?

Really?

This thread title is perfectly named.
Like I said on another forum, please stop City Data stalking me. I'm trying to be nice to you so I won't have to report you. This has become excessive.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
LOL that shed you showed me was the one I saved on Amazon. Was exactly the same one I figured I would get.
If it's outside on a patio, you run the risk of people jumping the patio fence and breaking it open, figuring you have something valuable inside. Even if you put a padlock on, they'll just break the shed.

This time of year there are a lot of first-time teachers setting up their classrooms. I bet some of the stuff you're storing would really help them out, and it would probably be cheaper to replace it if you ever need it again than to store it for years.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If it's outside on a patio, you run the risk of people jumping the patio fence and breaking it open, figuring you have something valuable inside. Even if you put a padlock on, they'll just break the shed.

This time of year there are a lot of first-time teachers setting up their classrooms. I bet some of the stuff you're storing would really help them out, and it would probably be cheaper to replace it if you ever need it again than to store it for years.
The stuff I would put in there wouldn't be valuable as far as $$$$ goes.

I don't think I would need to take out a storage unit. A lot of the links on here were pretty helpful. I think I would probably end up having to spend maybe $500 for stuff and strong guys to pick it up and deliver decent used pieces off Craigslist. Some of the Ikea stuff is on Craigslist for less than $100.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:45 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
I went from a large 3 bedroom house to a small two bedroom house. Then from the two bedroom house to a two bedroom apartment. I had to downsize a few times. I do have the hoarder gene so I know how difficult it is letting go of things. You just have to make the decision of what to keep and what to get rid of. Sometimes it is not easy but it can be done-and don't let ANYONE tell you what you HAVE to get rid of. Only you can make that choice.

In my two bedroom apartment, I was lucky enough to have closets in each of the bedrooms and a big walk-in closet off the living room. That was my main storage. You couldn't get in there with all the boxes I had. Every now and again, I would try to reorganized. I also had a storage bin in the basement (each apartment had one).

I'm sure you will figure out a way to make it work for you. Good-luck.

Cat

Old 08-18-2016, 04:15 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
The raised bed idea is perfect as it gives you much more storage options. The same can go for living room furniture. Ottomans are perfect storage options. Instead of a coffee table, you could do an oversized ottoman and use it to store some of your things. Rolling shelving with drawers in your bathroom to give more storage.

If the school stuff you are keeping is sentimental stuff, take pictures of the items and make a photo album. That way you can get rid of the actual stuff, but have something to remember the stuff.

Also, go through all your stuff and make 3 piles (keep, toss, donate). This way you can take inventory and decide if the items are things you use often, daily or not at all and if they are worth losing space to store them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating