Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 2,107 times

Advertisements

So we are buying a new house and I am going to be turning this bedroom into a loft/entertainment room.

Here are pictures from all different angles. The room itself is 15x12. [url=http://imgur.com/a/QGVKa]Loft - Album on Imgur[/url]

Here is the design ideas I have so far.

1.) When you walk in the room on the left hand side I want the TV mounted on the wall (not on a desk or something). It would take the place of the two pictures seen on the wall.
http://i.imgur.com/fMyBY6S.jpg

2.) I also want the wall that the bed is backing up to in this picture to be brick. I was gonna do a quick DIY thin brick layer for that effect.
http://i.imgur.com/SnFGWsi.jpg

3.) I need an area for about a 3 foot long by 2 feet deep fish tank. Not sure where I wanna fit this in.

4.) I want a desk area where I can put my laptop and work/play games. I was thinking about doing a 90 degree desk and putting in the back left corner in this picture.
http://i.imgur.com/wMhPYHb.jpg

5.) I need some sort of couch, I'm thinking a smaller couch to keep the feeling of the room being more "open."

Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 02:14 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Sounds like you already have the room planned out... except for the loft part.
How are you opening it up to the area below?

Old 08-26-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sounds like you already have the room planned out... except for the loft part.
How are you opening it up to the area below?
Maybe I worded it poorly. By loft, I meant like extra room that I can work, watch tv etc. It's a Jack and Jill bedroom. It's not a loft in a traditional New York sense. It's the wording we use around here haha. It's more just a conversion of a bedroom that leads out to a hallway.

I just can't find the right placement for where I want the couch/desk and what size of each that I am looking for.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:05 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Given the # of doors and openings and the size of the room, I sounds like a lot of furniture in a small space. If you didn't have the doorways, I would think differently, but is there no other place for the fish tank?

Old 08-26-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Given the # of doors and openings and the size of the room, I sounds like a lot of furniture in a small space. If you didn't have the doorways, I would think differently, but is there no other place for the fish tank?
There is other places. One door is a closet, one leads to the jill bedroom and one leads to the hallway.

[url]https://www.richmondamerican.com/California/Inland-Empire-new-homes/Wildomar/Chaparral-at-The-Ranch/Zephyr/23510000-001-S382-A[/url]

Old 08-27-2016, 07:11 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Why not use the bonus room or the study for your office? They give you better possibilities for furniture layout.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:15 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padres1234 View Post
There is other places. One door is a closet, one leads to the jill bedroom and one leads to the hallway.

https://www.richmondamerican.com/Cal...000-001-S382-A
Then I would move the fish tank to another room or as has been suggested use another room all together.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:49 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
if you plan on actually watching the tv then a loveseat or small sofa would have to go in front of the screen at a viewing distance. to save space put a long narrow sofa back table behind the sofa and use that as your desk. put the fish tank under the window.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:19 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Why not use the bonus room? The size and layout is much more suited to a large TV. That bedroom isn't really large enough for all the uses you are trying to incorporate.

And "loft" is not synonymous with den, etc. The bonus room could be considered a loft, if you have it constructed with the wall down next to the stairwell. I have a room like that in my newer construction home - I could have had a wall put up and they would have added a closet and it would have been a 4th bedroom, but I left it open and we have a tv and comfy sofa and a table to play games and do puzzles, etc.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:24 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
Sounds like you have it all planned out. I would draw kit out either on paper or computer one inch equals one foot, then measure the furniture you want in it and draw that and play with it till you like it.msee where things fit. Can anything go under the tv, the fish tank, the desk?

Other than that I just want to say that you have a beautiful room as is, great look. Hope you can reuse the items in there elsewhere as effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating