Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:06 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have - still can't see through them! I promise. Only vague shapes. I'm OK with that.
Good that you've tried. I'm reminded of a story of a woman who exercised naked at night in front of sheer curtains in her living room. Afterwards she'd go for a jog and noticed there were always adolescent boys hanging around across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 03:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
We used to live in the woods. No need for privacy curtains. We did have them but seldom drew them, even at night. And it was lovely waking up in the morning and seeing a massive tree limb and all the other green stuff right outside our window.

Now, in a closely packed subdivision, we do need privacy. In our bedroom I have wonderful, insulated shades that can draw from the bottom or top. I love them. So simple. In the dining/great room, we have dark brown bamboo type blinds. These blinds work well, although they do not insulate from the cold. They look great--very tailored. I can't put drapes on one of the windows, because the windows run almost to the adjacent, angled walls. There is no place to put a curtain rod.

We have wooden blinds in a large window in our office room.

I do think that over dressed windows are a bit out of style. However, I've recently seen pics of a very traditional room that had beautiful valanced and draped windows, as well as priceless antique furniture. So, I suppose, there is always a room that could use a nice valance.

But not in my house.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:26 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In our previous Atlanta home we had a long bank of outdated windows in our sunroom. This was the room we used the most in a huge house. And below the windows you could see our 2 beautiful koi ponds. These windows were the feature point of the entire house, as far as I was concerned.

I did a lot of research when we decided it was time to replace those windows. They were extremely expensive but we bought windows which had double panes and sandwiched in between those panes were micro blinds with wands /cords outside. Oh those were so wonderful! No need for any window treatments at all. Just a flick of those wands to open or shut the blinds. The subsequent owners told me it was those windows which sold her on our house.

Our current house in N.C. is basically in the woods so we have NO window treatments on the main floor and only plantation shutters on upstairs bedroom windows.

We have pets- 2 cats and 2 dogs and curtains, drapes, blinds, etc just don't work for us. They collect pet hair really badly. Privacy is a non issue and I really like the look of clean windows.
I love the clean window look too. My windows are beautiful and I don't want to cover them up. And I think curtains tend to be dust catchers, even light curtains and sheers.
And as for heavy drapery, well, it looks ok in my grandmother's house.

I see amazing sunrises and sunsets from my windows. And clouds, and rainbows. Even rain tapping against the windows is somehow relaxing.

I have bird feeders all around and we enjoy nature. The trees and flowers are more attractive to view than curtains.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post

I don't understand not having either shades or blinds or curtains or a combination of any of that on the windows. How does one get ready for bed at night.... or come out of the shower and dry off and dress... or maybe not dress and wander out to the kitchen first for a snack (DH does this). I notice Joanna Ganes does this in all her shows. Big windows, never a covering.
I get dressed and undressed in the master bathroom, which had a walk-in closet. And my bathroom does have a window covering. My kids get dressed and undressed in their bathrooms. Window coverings there also.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:22 PM

7 posts, read 7,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
... I'm reminded of a story of a woman who exercised naked at night in front of sheer curtains in her living room....
I ask my teenage boy to draw the curtains before he goes to bed, his response is who cares. I guess the curtain is there not only for privacy but also for decor and habit keeping. Closing and opening the curtain gets into the daily routine, marking the time to bed or to rise.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:28 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
I think those vessel sinks (that became so trendy about 10 years ago) that sit on top of the bathroom countertops are going to look extremely dated in a few decades.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:31 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'm amused at the comments about draperies blocking the view of the outdoors. Have we never heard of opening the drapes?

Same with the comments about dust and pet hair. Do we not have washing machines and vacuum cleaners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taska View Post
I ask my teenage boy to draw the curtains before he goes to bed, his response is who cares. I guess the curtain is there not only for privacy but also for decor and habit keeping. Closing and opening the curtain gets into the daily routine, marking the time to bed or to rise.
The rule in our house was: Lights on, drapes closed. Or blinds or shades, depending on which type of window covering we had at the moment.

I don't want anyone looking in my windows at night, no matter what I'm doing!

Old 09-13-2016, 07:42 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I think those vessel sinks (that became so trendy about 10 years ago) that sit on top of the bathroom countertops are going to look extremely dated in a few decades.
Gosh, I think it was even longer ago. I remember joining a new gym in NYC in 1998 and they had vessel sinks in the locker room. I thought that was the height of chic at the time.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:44 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Sign that says
Built in 1869.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm amused at the comments about draperies blocking the view of the outdoors. Have we never heard of opening the drapes?

Same with the comments about dust and pet hair. Do we not have washing machines and vacuum cleaners?

The rule in our house was: Lights on, drapes closed. Or blinds or shades, depending on which type of window covering we had at the moment.

I don't want anyone looking in my windows at night, no matter what I'm doing!
We have simplified our life as much as possible. We replaced all the carpet with hard surfaces. Not having blinds, drapes, shades or any type of window treatment is just that much less to wash or dust, although that is not the reason I eliminated them. It's a nice benefit though.

I decided to eliminate all the window treatments because I started noticing that most model homes in the area had no window treatments, and I loved the look. Then several of my friends ditched their window treatments, and I liked the appearance of their homes.

Yes, you can open the drapes, but even when opened the drapes hanging at the side of the window is still a different look. Blinds and shades can be raised, but they still clutter up the clean look I like. But that is just me. I like the clean lines and open spaces of uncluttered windows.

It is kind of like how my older relatives always had doilies (spelling?) on every end table. Every lamp sat on a doily. Every table had a tablecloth, even a Formica kitchen table was covered with a tablecloth. But then people started ditching the doilies and tablecloths in favor of the clean, uncluttered look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating