Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 11:21 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

For me, if something is extremely functional, I don't think of it as dated.

We always had apartments that didn't have a ceiling fan or any sort of ceiling lights, so when we bought our house, we were happy to be able to install ceiling fans with lights in the living room and bedrooms. I have this one in the living room: Hampton Bay Brookedale II 60 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan-AL101-BN - The Home Depot It took hours to put it together and we went with simpler fans for the bedrooms.

About electric stoves with coil burners, I still have one. Why? Because I have a cast iron pan that I use often and everything I've read says that glass top stoves and cast iron don't get along well. I care less about having a modern-looking stove top than about being able to use my tortilla pan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 11:26 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
How do ceiling fans make a house look dated? Here in FL, ceiling fans are in every home.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:54 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default This ought to be obvious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
How do ceiling fans make a house look dated? Here in FL, ceiling fans are in every home.
Just like light fixtures and furniture change styles much faster than building materials the various trends that drive the ceiling fans shift quite quickly. A fan with blades that have wood edges and a fake wicker middle are going to scream "installed when Jimmy Carter was President", those with the super glossy blades will similarly say "going for a Miami Vice look", there are styles that are more industrial and other types that better match current trends but when it comes to attracting buyers it is often better to eliminate anything that will be a distraction.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:15 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I think dated ceiling fans look dated, but not the general concept. I don't love them but they serve a valuable function.

Some of my offerings:

plaid furniture
too much furniture
accent walls of faux textured paint
overly themed rooms
popcorn ceilings
wallpaper borders

Old 09-08-2016, 01:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love ceiling fans in rooms because 1) we live in Texas and it's often very hot, and 2) I like the feeling of air circulating in a room, even in the winter time, and 3) I love to sleep under a fan.

I don't have ceiling fans for their looks, but rather for their function. In fact, I prefer that they are not noticeable.

I definitely agree with most of the stuff people are mentioning.

That being said, there is so much brass in my house that it would take five years to replace it all (not to mention the expense) and I have bigger fish to fry, such as the outdoor living area we're working on now. So we've embraced the brass so to speak, and now I'm happy with it - and besides that, brass is back in style anyway! LOL
Me too on the brass. Most of it has to stay.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Really? Now you have me wondering about our house! lol Even though we have more modern/contemporary fans in all the rooms.
As I said, if you love them, keep them! But I do think having multiple ceiling fans in a house is an old trend. The question was, what things made a house look dated.

I had several ceiling fans in a house at one time. We took most of them out over time. We installed a really nice one with a remote in our bedroom about 15 years ago. We enjoyed it.

My opinion is just an opinion.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
For me, if something is extremely functional, I don't think of it as dated.

We always had apartments that didn't have a ceiling fan or any sort of ceiling lights, so when we bought our house, we were happy to be able to install ceiling fans with lights in the living room and bedrooms. I have this one in the living room: Hampton Bay Brookedale II 60 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan-AL101-BN - The Home Depot It took hours to put it together and we went with simpler fans for the bedrooms.

About electric stoves with coil burners, I still have one. Why? Because I have a cast iron pan that I use often and everything I've read says that glass top stoves and cast iron don't get along well. I care less about having a modern-looking stove top than about being able to use my tortilla pan.
I used cast iron pans successfully on two glass topped cooktops, beginning in 1999 through 2013. I upgraded to a new induction glass top cooktop in 2013, and I have continued to use cast iron on it.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:23 PM

497 posts, read 571,206 times
I also hate too much furniture. Please no theme rooms! Heavy drapes....haven't had drapes in the last four houses.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:25 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
-Shag carpeting
-Linoleum

BTW, I happen to like my Laz-Y-Boy. But, it was wearing out and it was too expensive to reupholster so I moved that it to our library and got a new one that I use when we watch tv (not a Laz-y-Boy. They are too expensive).

Cat

Old 09-09-2016, 07:36 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Me too on the brass. Most of it has to stay.
I was at HomeGoods yesterday and there was a lot more gold/brass on the newer item shelves than nickel/silver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating