Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 09:05 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times

Advertisements

Actually, the sink in the island makes for easier cleanup of flour or any other prep messes. Just sweep the stuff into the sink that has the disposal and your cleanup is a breeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 09:08 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
I am starting to get sold on the idea. especially if it gives me more counter and cabinet space. I have a slightly larger than average kitchen but it is laid out in such a way that the cabinets and counters are lacking.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
I am starting to get sold on the idea. especially if it gives me more counter and cabinet space. I have a slightly larger than average kitchen but it is laid out in such a way that the cabinets and counters are lacking.
You will also get a lot of storage in the island. If it is going to be custom built, maybe think about shelving in the base at one end. I kind of wish I had something like that for all my cookbooks.

Please post pictures of what you have done.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:37 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
My first preference would be having a sink in front of a window. To me, that just seems right and makes me feel comfortable in a kitchen. If putting it in an island, just make sure you have something to look at. I've seen many kitchens where the sink is against a back wall and there's nothing to look at but the backsplash. That would drive me crazy. Our current house has no outside walls so our sink is in a long curved island that overlooks the great room and has a direct view of the TV. Since I don't mind washing dishes and use the sink more than the dishwasher, I need something to look at. We also have a smaller (3'x4') island that is only countertop and that's where our prep is done. I would never want to give that up.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:52 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
I value a large amount of uninterrupted counter space in my kitchen. I love to cook from scratch and bake also, and I spent too many years dealing with a small amount of countertop space. So I truly appreciate large open uncluttered counters.

I love to bake large batches of cookies, for example. It is so nice to be able to spread out multiple cookie sheets and several large cooling racks, a mixing bowl, mixer and everything else I need without having to stack and rearrange during the baking process.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:30 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
This layout came about from open-concept designs- as previously mentioned.
A lack of a window within the kitchen area made placing the sink in an outward facing position ideal.

The other sink option was the "prep sink" in the island- with the regular "kitchen sink" in a more traditional placement. A big consideration is the overall size of the island- your minimum is a 30-36" base for the sink and 24" for the D/W. So you're looking at about a 5' minimum- and that's not a lot of "counter space".

Old 09-10-2016, 10:56 AM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
OT - make sure you have ample outlets installed in the island.

I have a cutting board with. for lack of better word wedges to keep it from moving to cover the larger side of the sink. Perfect for limes, olives, ... and the other side holds ice. One button clean up at happy hours.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:31 AM

524 posts, read 574,698 times
When I was looking for a house, I wanted the sink in the island. I like to watch TV while I cook and do dishes. In my last house the sink was under the window. I never looked out the window, but turned my head to watch the news as I did dishes. Now the sink has a straight view to the TV in the family room. The island also has seating, so all the crumbs get easily brushed into the sink.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:36 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
To me a sink in the island negates the advantages of being able to spread food out either during prep, baking, serving appetizers or setting up food buffet style because of the "ick" factor.

I don't want to be eating or serving food around a sink that's in use for food prep, dirty or prep dish staging, washing of raw food prior to cooking etc.

Here have a splash of raw chicken juice with that cracker. Umm, no thanks.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:40 AM

Clorox wipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating