Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 11:41 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
I agree with you but stainless steel has been much debated on this forum, as well as granite.
There will always be people who don't like what is in style, but I'm willing to bet that majority of people will still gravitate to stone and stainless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 11:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
I was looking for more specifics in this thread. You could've just put chair on the list and of course, a chair will never go out of style. If you would have stated wingback or chesterfield chair/sofa, then I would agree that they're timeless. As far as artwork, you might state reproductions of artists from the Renaissance, etc and I would agree. It might not be my style, but I would say they're timeless.
But I didn't put "any" chair on the list. I specified LEATHER seating.

I didn't put just "any" artwork on the list either. I specified FRAMED artwork.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:47 AM

1,011 posts, read 977,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
There will always be people who don't like what is in style, but I'm willing to bet that majority of people will still gravitate to stone and stainless.
Yes, I agree.... But, as a decor, will they stand the test of time? I would argue that a butcher block island is more timeless than one of granite...although I prefer granite.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
But I didn't put "any" chair on the list. I specified LEATHER seating.

I didn't put just "any" artwork on the list either. I specified FRAMED artwork.
That abstract art from the 90s that I described earlier, even if framed, would not be considered timeless. That leather couch layered with puffy inserts is not timeless. That's what I'm getting at.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:08 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Although artwork, chandeliers and leather chairs/sofas are timeless, they are so style specific that they can go out of style. For example, who remembers those abstract pieces of art that when you stare at them long enough, the object appears before you?
Quote:
I was looking for more specifics in this thread. You could've just put chair on the list and of course, a chair will never go out of style. If you would have stated wingback or chesterfield chair/sofa, then I would agree that they're timeless. As far as artwork, you might state reproductions of artists from the Renaissance, etc and I would agree. It might not be my style, but I would say they're timeless.
Quote:
I agree with you but stainless steel has been much debated on this forum, as well as granite.
Why ask for peoples' opinions if you are just going to argue their choices?

No sense me adding mine, as they will be discounted anyway....

Old 09-14-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Why ask for peoples' opinions if you are just going to argue their choices?

No sense me adding mine, as they will be discounted anyway....
This thread is about timeless decor. I'm not disputing Kathryn's list. I'm asking her to be more specific. There's no arguing about her choice. Where did I state that a chandelier or a nonspecific framed artwork is not timeless? If you add chandelier, specify which kind, whether it be crystal vs Sputnik.

If you choose not to participate, then don't. Simple. Why the snark? Maybe at least comprehend what I'm asking.

Last edited by 3shipguy; 09-14-2016 at 12:38 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 12:30 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I doubt that any of our decor or furnishings will ever be out of style since we have an unmatched furnishings home with something from many eras.
It's good to be non traditional and non trendy sometimes.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:36 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I doubt that any of our decor or furnishings will ever be out of style since we have an unmatched furnishings home with something from many eras.
It's good to be non traditional and non trendy sometimes.
Same here.
Not one room in our house screams any trend or era.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
That abstract art from the 90s that I described earlier, even if framed, would not be considered timeless. That leather couch layered with puffy inserts is not timeless. That's what I'm getting at.

I gotcha but I'm still saying that leather as a covering for seats, and artwork that is framed are both elements of timeless decor. Styles may differ but that's not what I'm discussing.

For instance, you mentioned:

Quote:
Solid wood flooring
Crown moulding
Coffered ceiling
Block wood paneling
Functional storm shutters
Oriental rugs
Carrara or calacatta marble
Bamboo is a sort of wood floor, but I don't think it has the same staying power as oak or pine flooring.

Crown molding comes in many different styles - and some of it (think Louis XIV for instance) is obviously dated. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...b8b0850269.jpg

Same with coffered ceilings - some "age" more timelessly than others:
Pretty but not "timeless:"
http://www.dinterni-interiordesign.c...ro_storico.jpg
Timeless:
http://irastar.com/wp-content/upload...g-credenza.jpg

And block wood paneling:

Timeless:
http://st.hzcdn.com/fimgs/2d71de6504...ome-office.jpg

Not so timeless:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...2b882e20d1.jpg

Oriental rugs:

Timeless:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...s_J-CdIM0AD-Qr

Not so timeless:
http://www.vancouverrug.com/gallery-contemporary.php

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 09-14-2016 at 12:57 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 12:42 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Antiques, vases of fresh flowers, books on shelves even if you read electronically now.
In the area where I live antiques are considered to be out of style. Literally no one is buying them. All the antique dealers are complaining about it and either not buying any antiques or paying only pennies on the dollar. You can find antiques at garage sales or listed in free ads.

We hauled some of my parents antiques to Goodwill earlier this year because we couldn't give them away.

So if you like antiques I can tell you where you can get them dirt cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating