Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 03:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Ahh, you meant the framing of art. Gotcha. Semantics.

In regards to Oriental rugs, I meant typical, traditional patterns such as ones from Kashan, Tabriz, etc--not the contemporary designs.
I know - that was my point. When I said "leather used in seating" (or something like that) I didn't mean "every single style of leather sofa or chair." I just meant "leather used in seating." Same with "framed art." That's it - not "Framed pictures of dogs playing poker," or "Framed pictures of matadors painted on velvet."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 03:39 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Quote:
Not every framed art is timeless. A painting of a bunch of dogs playing cards can be surrounded by the most expensive, baroque frame and it still wouldn't be timeless.
I actually know the guy that has the Original painting of that piece. Massive picture and ornate framing. Paid major $$$'s for that. At first when I first saw it, I was then when I was told it was the Original.... Still don't know if I liked it any better but was impressed that it was the Original.

Guy had more money than he knew what to do with. Can't complain too much though, we had access from our 3 floor apartment (he was LL) to his private rooftop pool. He never used it.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:30 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I actually know the guy that has the Original painting of that piece. Massive picture and ornate framing. Paid major $$$'s for that. At first when I first saw it, I was then when I was told it was the Original.... Still don't know if I liked it any better but was impressed that it was the Original.

Guy had more money than he knew what to do with. Can't complain too much though, we had access from our 3 floor apartment (he was LL) to his private rooftop pool. He never used it.
Someone's gotta have the original, right? I get a chuckle when I see it in a mancave.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:49 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I guess we need to back up and start with a definition of timeless. Some things might be present in old homes and have stood the test of time in that sense, but they aren't necessarily timeless in the sense of large numbers of people choosing to have those features in their homes now.

For instance, while block paneling may be timeless, it's certainly not "in style" as in being popular and people choosing to install it in their homes. It's not that they look at it in some 100 year old house and say "oh, that's so dated looking" but the reality is they aren't building new homes with it either.

And many of these are very generic - sure, displaying decorative items will remain in style, but what they actually look like changes over time. Even when you say "framed art" - well, if you have it in some extremely ornate style frame, that's not necessarily "in style" regardless of the subject matter of the painting.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I guess we need to back up and start with a definition of timeless. Some things might be present in old homes and have stood the test of time in that sense, but they aren't necessarily timeless in the sense of large numbers of people choosing to have those features in their homes now.

For instance, while block paneling may be timeless, it's certainly not "in style" as in being popular and people choosing to install it in their homes. It's not that they look at it in some 100 year old house and say "oh, that's so dated looking" but the reality is they aren't building new homes with it either.

And many of these are very generic - sure, displaying decorative items will remain in style, but what they actually look like changes over time. Even when you say "framed art" - well, if you have it in some extremely ornate style frame, that's not necessarily "in style" regardless of the subject matter of the painting.

I knew what you meant. I was thinking of styles that are timeless, not items. I'll try to add photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Timeless decor that will not go out of style-screenshot_20160914-165535.jpg  

Old 09-14-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:

I wasn't even talking about style though - the concept of PUTTING A FRAME AROUND A PIECE OF ART is what I was talking about. Regardless of the style of the frame, or the art, the idea of framing art is pretty timeless. And it's not like most art NEEDS a frame - it's just what we do. So it's pretty timeless.

That's what I mean.

Same with patios, porches, decks, etc. The styles vary, but throughout history and cultures, the concept of a place just outside the door built specifically to sit outdoors is common. Not necessary, but for some reason people throughout the centuries have enjoyed what is often a little luxury. Once again, I'm not talking about the style or the material - just the idea of a space set aside specifically to relax outdoors, just outside the house.

Same with plants in planters near doorways -once again, nothing necessary, and yet regardless of the style of home, or the era, or the terrain (except maybe in the most extreme weather conditions) plants in planters near the front door are very, very common and have been throughout history.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:25 PM

In fact, here's my list again - and remember, I am not talking about particular STYLES at all:

Blue and white pottery or porcelain pieces - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Shutters - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Travertine flooring - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Front doors with glass inserts or side lights - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Fireplace as focal point of a living area - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Work triangle in a kitchen/food prep area - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Private bathroom for adult homeowners - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures - I've even seen this in castle ruins from the 1500s.
Transom windows - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Candlelight accents - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Chandeliers - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Leather sofas or chairs - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Framed artwork - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures

These elements have been in many homes - in all sorts of styles, eras, cultures, etc - for centuries. Styles vary over the centuries, but these same elements, in various styles, tend to have a lot of staying power.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 09-14-2016 at 06:49 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 06:34 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Is it passé then? Or do you still see it from time to time as well as 100 years ago?
Perhaps a definition of butcher block is necessary. In my world, butcher block didn't exist 100 years ago and it does not exist today, as in people clamoring to put in a BB island. Once again, I may be wrong as I am basing this on a ton of new homes that I looked at, as well as those of friends who have updated their homes. I am not an Interior Designer or even close to being one, but BB is not timeless in my mind and well past its' prime in my little world.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
In fact, here's my list again - and remember, I am not talking about particular STYLES at all:

Blue and white pottery or porcelain pieces - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Shutters - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Travertine flooring - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Front doors with glass inserts or side lights - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Fireplace as focal point of a living area - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Work triangle in a kitchen/food prep area - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Private bathroom for adult homeowners - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures - I've even seen this in castle ruins from the 1500s.
Transom windows - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Candlelight accents - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Chandeliers - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Leather sofas or chairs - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures
Framed artwork - in a wide range of styles - popular for centuries and in all sorts of cultures

These elements have been in many homes - in all sorts of styles, eras, cultures, etc - for centuries. Styles vary over the centuries, but these same elements, in various styles, tend to have a lot of staying power.
But I think styles are what the OP was looking for. That's how I interpreted his question, anyway. If you have a over-stuffed leather couch from the 1980's, it has gone out of style, for example. I was thinking of actual items or styles you could have in your home for decades and not feel the need to change it because it has become dated. Like the furniture photo I posted.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:38 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
But I think styles are what the OP was looking for. That's how I interpreted his question, anyway. If you have a over-stuffed leather couch from the 1980's, it has gone out of style, for example. I was thinking of actual items or styles you could have in your home for decades and not feel the need to change it because it has become dated. Like the furniture photo I posted.
Yes, this I what I meant in the OP. But I also understand what Kathryn is saying. I wanted more specific styling. Perhaps my OP wasn't clear enough.

Quote:

Block paneling isn't popular because it is expensive. You'll see it in high end homes, restaurants, and hotels nowadays. It's a shame that the craftsmanship has been lost with many builders. Same with coffered ceilings--and we're not talking about tray ceilings that some list as being coffered. This thread isn't about what is popular. Like you said, when you see it, you wouldn't say it's so dated (like the wood paneling from the 60s/70s). That's what makes it timeless. That's why I included the butcher block. Some here have disagreed. But no one has said that it's so dated. You won't see butcher block islands very often since all the rage now is with stone countertops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating