Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:05 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times

Advertisements

I like Valspar. I've noticed no change since they renamed it from American Tradition.
Ralph Lauren has some great colors. However some of the textured and "tech" applications are -- ok, at best. Not really worth the expense and work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:21 PM

11 posts, read 34,902 times
These days it is easy to find excellent quality paint that is also eco-friendly. Why subject yourself, your painters, or the environment to unnecessary toxins?

In our recent remodel we used Benjamin Moore's low VOC Aura line. Aura is the top of the line eco paint. It was sprayed on by professional painters and did put out a sweetish smell for a couple of hours, then it dissipated. For a zero VOC paint try Benjamin Moore's Natura line. Either of these paints can be mixed to your favorite Ralph Lauren color.

For a great textured look American Clay is a neat eco option. The clay is colored and goes directly on the walls.

For more info on eco paints visit: Best Eco Paints « eco-modpod

Old 02-04-2009, 11:32 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
Pretty much any designer of worth will recommend Benjamin Moore. Other than BM, another great line is Farrow and Ball. If you're going to buy Sherwin Williams, get Pratt and Lambert (SW owns Pratt and Lambert, Dutch Boy, Duron, and some others).

Also, ICI Dulux is great. The Ellen Kennon paints are mixed in Dulux paint. Ellen Kennon is full spectrum paint.

In the battle of big box strores, Valspar is the winner. Valspar is probably the best option for those without access to BM or Dulux.

It's pretty hard to beat Benjamin Moore's Aura paint though.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:52 AM

9 posts, read 58,152 times
I used Behr in my house and the quality was great, but I know many builders in the DC area, and they build million + homes, and they love Duron & Sherwin Williams.

I have not used textured paint, but tried texture/stucco look in our kitchen, I would not do it again!

Jen
primed4design.blogspot.com

Old 02-13-2009, 03:16 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
We like Behr also, a professional painter recommended it when we remodeled. It gets great reviews in Consumer Reports (it's a Best Buy I believe) - it's reasonably priced and holds up well. We are changing some colors in some rooms but when w/Behr again.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I'm partial to Sears paints as well. They go on easily, and are incredibly durable.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:07 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
We just had 5 rooms professionally painted.....the painter used Sherwin Williams.....I loved the SW web site to help me select colors.... Color Selection Tools - Sherwin-Williams

We used a flat finish....no kids in this household....and it gives a really beautiful finish...the walls look soft and the color seems to be in the air/ambiance....lovely effect. The painter did 2 coats....he had said because we chose some darker colors....it might take a third coat....but the two coats were really adequate and the walls look wonderful.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:26 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Yes, I have used the Ralph Laurent River Rock paint for my apartment. After 4 coats at 36.00 a gallon the walls came out great and I am very happy with the look. However the first 2 coats I painted the walls the regular way with up and down rolls. The seams kept comming through with the overlay of paint. So finally I looked on the computer and saw the website and the video of painting with arc motions at random heights on the wall, I got it !!!! Luckily that was only for the Living Room and by the time I got to the Bedroom I had mastered it. I used the brownish gold and moss green for bedroom. I like the look of the speckles throughout the paint. It does give the walls a nice texture and does hide small cracks. The only thing I did do was match the paint color to regular paint as to have the mouldings around the floors and doors the same color, I did not want textured moulding I didn't think that would look to good.
the color match was perfect (amen) so now the walls are textured and the moulding is a eggshell. I am happy with the look, but damn it was an expensive paint job. The behr paint is very good, I used that for the Kitchen.
Ok just my 2 cents if its worth anything....

Old 02-19-2009, 11:04 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Farrow & Ball, Citron, C2, Ellen Kennon, Donald Kaufman, they're all very nice paint. For that price though, I think that I should be able to eat them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Pretty much any designer of worth will recommend Benjamin Moore. Other than BM, another great line is Farrow and Ball. If you're going to buy Sherwin Williams, get Pratt and Lambert (SW owns Pratt and Lambert, Dutch Boy, Duron, and some others).

Also, ICI Dulux is great. The Ellen Kennon paints are mixed in Dulux paint. Ellen Kennon is full spectrum paint.

In the battle of big box strores, Valspar is the winner. Valspar is probably the best option for those without access to BM or Dulux.

It's pretty hard to beat Benjamin Moore's Aura paint though.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Seriously - paint should not cost that much! If it holds up well, goes on well, etc. - price should be the driving point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating