Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:04 AM

5,321 posts, read 3,204,475 times

Advertisements

I have an open floor plan on my first floor. The kitchen and living room share the same wall which runs the length of the house, about 30 feet. I would like to repaint the living room but I'm wondering what I can do to "separate" those walls. Right now my entire downstairs is the same color and when I re-do my kitchen I'd like it to have its own color. It may end up being a similar color to the living room but I'd like a "boundary" for lack of better word.

My question is, what can I do to create this boundary? Should it be as simple as a thin piece of wood that runs from the ceiling to the floor (painted white?), or something more elaborate like a 3 +/- inch square "column" that runs from the ceiling to the floor?

The downstairs is "L" shaped so there is already a boundary on one wall (the corner of the L), the kitchen is tiled and the living room carpeted, I am just trying to figure out what to do with that one shared wall.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 09:08 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
How about a section of stripes in the two colors or if the colors are very similar stripes in different shades. Some manufacturers offer tiny pots for little money.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:18 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I would not paint a shared wall different colors. Use a different color where there is a corner or other natural break, if you want to bring in another wall color. Personally I like having the same color on the walls and using different accent colors to emphasize the different areas.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:32 AM

997 posts, read 936,291 times
I personally would want the different colors, even though the previous poster made a good point.

I like color and I want what I want. I assume the OP does too....I liked the suggestion of stripes or decorative decal type thing that would create the illusion of a boundary. I don't know what they have available but there are things like that.

I would look into it. The wood piece would work. They have names for those things but I don't know what they are called. They come in different styles.

A lot of that depends on your personal style and colors and the environment you want to create.

This is your house and you don't have to conform to what is expected or traditional unless you want to. I don't do that anymore. I set my house up in the way that I like and suits my needs. I used to think there were rules, but there really aren't. Maybe it took me longer to figure that out.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:58 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I would not paint a shared wall different colors. Use a different color where there is a corner or other natural break, if you want to bring in another wall color. Personally I like having the same color on the walls and using different accent colors to emphasize the different areas.
This.

I cant envision any way to separate a shared wall that would look good.

Are there other walls in the kitchen where you can transition to a different but compatible color?

That would look better imo.

The only way I can envision different colors in this scenario is if you put up some kind of semi-wall.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:56 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
I wouldn't do it, I would leave the walls the same color. It will make the rooms appear smaller by having 2 colors, I would add throw rugs, pictures, pillows to make the changes in color.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:04 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I have seen it done numerous ways, and for the life of me, I cannot find examples on the internet.

You can use an architectural column on the wall, which will define the space along with separating the colors.
If the colors are off the same strip. you can do a vertical ombre.
A neighbor has a wall where instead of a straight vertical line, she zig zagged the two colors.
Another had a wall where the two colors were broken up with a third. The 2 main colors butted each other. The third color was in squares that were spaced from floor to ceiling (I think she had five) and overlapped each color evenly.
You can even use wall decals to straddle the line of demarcation.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:53 AM

5,321 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Great points everyone. I am not 100% on painting two different colors, just looking for ideas for whatever I end up doing.

There is a lot of work to do in both rooms so I don't need to make a decision right away. Maybe in the interim I will find a color that I like for both rooms and just do that one color with perhaps an accent wall in the living room.

Thanks for the advice and opinions!

Old 09-26-2016, 09:49 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I wouldn't do it but I have seen it where they blended the two together in sort of an ombre look so it faded from one into the other. The colors were close enough that this worked well.

Old 01-17-2023, 05:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,530 times
There are several ways to create a visual boundary between two rooms that share a wall, such as the kitchen and living room in your home.

One option is to use color to create a separation. You could paint the wall that separates the kitchen and living room in a different color than the surrounding walls, or use a contrasting paint color to create a visual divide.

Another option is to install a chair rail or picture rail on the wall that separates the two rooms. This is a thin strip of wood that is installed at the mid-point of the wall, usually around 32 inches from the floor. You could paint this a contrasting color to the wall, or use a different finish such as a glossy or matte finish to create a visual separation.

Another option is to create an accent wall. You can create a focal point by painting a section of the shared wall with a different color, pattern, or texture. This will create a visual divide, but it will also add a design element to the room and make it interesting.

Another option could be installing a cabinet or shelving unit along the shared wall, which will separate the two rooms and also provide a functional storage space.

Finally, you could also use a combination of these methods, or come up with your own unique solution. The key is to create a visual boundary that works well with the overall design of your home, and that you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating