Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 08:21 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Now that a bit of time has passed since these posts, I'd like to hear updates on how you feel about your LVP floors.

Are you glad to had them put in, or do you wish you had done ceramic tile, instead? Do you still like the "wood plank" look, or if you had the choice to do it over would you have chosen the "tile" look instead?

I am considering putting this product in two guest bathrooms, if you have any opinions on LVP in a bathroom.
I was told by several flooring places that the LVP or LVT are fine on bathroom floors. After much hand wringing I went with travertine tile, because as one firm said to me, honestly, if you have a leak and it is of any consequence you will eventually have a problem with them. Sure, they can be replaced but if it looks a lot different than the surrounding area that would bother me. I am still with sheet vinyl on the kitchen floor almost 5 years after moving in. I love the look of tile, but, not the feel and the rest of this house is manufactured hardwood and I don't want to deal with the grooves in the kitchen. I want real hardwood, but I just keep thinking I may not like the transition form real to manufactured, so I keep the old vinyl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 11:00 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times
Quote:
Now that a bit of time has passed since these posts, I'd like to hear updates on how you feel about your LVP floors.

Are you glad to had them put in, or do you wish you had done ceramic tile, instead? Do you still like the "wood plank" look, or if you had the choice to do it over would you have chosen the "tile" look instead?

I am considering putting this product in two guest bathrooms, if you have any opinions on LVP in a bathroom.

So far so good. They are holding up fine, not a scratch on them. The only thing is, in hindsight, I should have gone with a darker floor in the kitchen. The almost white Coventry oak that I used is holding up well, but it shows dirt like dog hair something fierce. Have to Swiffer it all the time to look it's best.

As for bathrooms, I used the tile look LVP from Allure in the upstairs bathroom that gets a lot of use and it's holding up great, as well, since 2014:

Old 01-26-2018, 09:04 AM

779 posts, read 876,821 times
I was VERY reluctant about putting LVP in one of our bathrooms. I hated everything about it--I thought it looked cheap, I hate materials that are trying to be something else (you aren't wood, LVP, stop trying to be!). I thought it would look stupid next to our 250-year-old wide-plank pine floors. I was not having it.

Long story short, LVP ended up being our best option until a bigger bath remodel in about 5 years. And you know what? I like it much more than I thought I would. So much so that we put it in our downstairs bath as well. We have tile in our master bath and it's always freezing cold in the mornings. The LVP in the other bathrooms stays fairly warm, even in cold new england winters. And it's not as slippery as the tile we have in our master bath or the old linoleum. When our kids get out of the bath, I don't have to hold their hand as they walk across the floor anymore.

I'm still going to use a different material when we do a bigger remodel, but for the price of the LVP (which I think was just over $2/PSF), I'm impressed!

I don't have a good pic of it finished, but have this pic when it was still being installed.
Attached Thumbnails
LVP (luxury vinyl planks)-lvp-bath-floor.jpg  

Old 01-26-2018, 10:17 AM

20,028 posts, read 20,835,571 times
I was a skeptic at first.
Now I love the vinyl plank.
You get what you pay for. Cheap stuff will look cheap.
When I first looked at my house I didn't realize the floors were vinyl plank until I looked closer.
Holding up great with kids and dog. I live in a rural area so we are all constantly tracking in the outdoors.

Nothing worse than "real" wood floor snobs.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:45 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
I'm thinking about putting it in our laundry room. It really does look nice.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:06 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,113,205 times
Thanks everyone. After researching for a few days, I have to say this product is really starting to grow on me. I'm now also considering using it in our basement. The only challenge there would be stairs.

Have any of you put LVP on a flight of stairs? Did you like the result?

Old 01-27-2018, 10:05 AM

Wood flooring, while pretty, does have some cons. While there are people who have no issue, pets can easily mar a wood floor with their nails. "Just refinish it" folks say. Well refinishing isn't cheap at all. Water can be an issue. We've had leaks in the kitchen and had to replace planks. the replacement wood isn't the same tone as the wood on the floor, so you can see where the replacement had been made. (Our wood is photosensitive). The thing about "imitators" such as LVP and laminate is that they allow you to have the look while being used in such wood unfriendly areas like basements, laundry rooms, and baths. If you don't like the grid look of tile, then LVP and laminate are the way to go.

High quality laminates that are thick look very much like wood, but without a lot of the hassle.

LVP is probably the most durable because unlike laminate, water is not a problem.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I was told by several flooring places that the LVP or LVT are fine on bathroom floors. After much hand wringing I went with travertine tile, because as one firm said to me, honestly, if you have a leak and it is of any consequence you will eventually have a problem with them. Sure, they can be replaced but if it looks a lot different than the surrounding area that would bother me. I am still with sheet vinyl on the kitchen floor almost 5 years after moving in. I love the look of tile, but, not the feel and the rest of this house is manufactured hardwood and I don't want to deal with the grooves in the kitchen. I want real hardwood, but I just keep thinking I may not like the transition form real to manufactured, so I keep the old vinyl.
I have "solid" hardwood in two rooms and "engineered" in other areas of the house. There's no discernable transition other than two different species of wood and solid is a little thicker (3/4 in for the solid vs. 1/2 in for the engineered). Engineered is "real", it's just not solid throughout. engineered can be refinished at least once or twice too.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:52 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I have "solid" hardwood in two rooms and "engineered" in other areas of the house. There's no discernable transition other than two different species of wood and solid is a little thicker (3/4 in for the solid vs. 1/2 in for the engineered). Engineered is "real", it's just not solid throughout. engineered can be refinished at least once or twice too.
Every manufactured one I have looked into has a thin "groove" between the slats when together and is not flat. I am thinking of crumbs on the kitchen floor.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:37 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. After researching for a few days, I have to say this product is really starting to grow on me. I'm now also considering using it in our basement. The only challenge there would be stairs.

Have any of you put LVP on a flight of stairs? Did you like the result?
We are putting LVP in our basement right now. For the stairs, we bought wood treads and we're going to bleach then to match the floor. We weren't impressed with the options for putting LVP on the stairs.

I'll post a picture once we get that done... We're doing everything in our basement ourselves so it's taking a long time. Doors and trim are the current project, stairs are next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating