Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:45 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times

Advertisements

Personally, I do not think that I'd sand what I suspected was lead paint. I'd peel it like you are doing, then use a very good primer specific to sealing walls for bathrooms, then paint over with my color choice.

I would sure appreciate an update of your bathroom. It has a ton of potential imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 01:49 AM

252 posts, read 580,576 times
Use proper proportion of primer then use Good quality paint to re-paint the entire wall.you can also try to cover the wall with the fancy tiles.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:06 AM

131 posts, read 160,429 times
Sorry, I've been MIA here for awhile. Well, we got the paint all peeled away and have since prepped and painted and it looks better. For now anyway. Now I have to face my 2 real headaches, those wonderful 1950's pink bathrooms I have. Pink sink, toilet, tub, walls in two of my bathrooms. One is pink and maroon and the other pink and brown. I don't know what I was thinking buying an older home. What a pain.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:24 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Perhaps you can just embrace them, as authentic to the house? Or, it would not be too expensive to replace the toilet and sink, and deglaze the tub.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnsleepy View Post
Sorry, I've been MIA here for awhile. Well, we got the paint all peeled away and have since prepped and painted and it looks better. For now anyway. Now I have to face my 2 real headaches, those wonderful 1950's pink bathrooms I have. Pink sink, toilet, tub, walls in two of my bathrooms. One is pink and maroon and the other pink and brown. I don't know what I was thinking buying an older home. What a pain.
If the pink, maroon and brown tiles are still in good condition, you could "embrace" them as authentic, as a previous poster suggested. What color did you paint the walls? The right colors on the walls could really help.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:45 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,672,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnsleepy View Post
I love the retro look but I agree with you about too much pink. I'd change out the toilet to white, have the tub re-glazed (@ a cost of $600-$700) and go from there. You can live with the pink sink, as long as it's in good condition. I wouldn't recommend having it re-glazed as refinished sinks don't last as long as tubs. More abuse, I suppose.

There are plenty of inspirational photos online posted by people who have redone their vintage bathrooms. If you can believe it, there's even a website dedicated to saving the pink bathroom. That one gave me a giggle. 10 facts about pink bathrooms | Save The Pink Bathrooms

I know you probably don't think so but there are a lot of people who would love to have a vintage bathroom. Unique is in. Let your imagination go and just have fun with it.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:57 PM

6 posts, read 29,183 times
I think this is something to do with moisture in the room. I think the lath plaster was applied in good condition. Don’t change the tile or it may result in your having to pay for more work. Just paint it flat rather than apply a shiny color reflecting all the flaws.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:28 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,418,607 times
As another poster mentioned, "embrace those pink bathrooms"!

Here are some decorating ideas for the pink and maroon/burgundy bath from the folks at the Retro Renovation website (a companion to the "Save the Pink Bathrooms" site). Hope this helps.

11 ideas to decorate a burgundy and pink bathroom - Retro Renovation

Jodi saves her 1949 maroon and pink bathroom with amazing vintage tile - Retro Renovation

Last edited by LibraGirl123; 01-17-2017 at 08:06 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 4,264 times
Prepping your bathroom is important. Before you start painting put a painter's tape on the door and window trims to avoid dripping paint on those areas. You can place drop cloths on the floor and over the tubs and the counters. If you want your bathroom to look brighter it is always better to prime the walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating