Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 11:27 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Next week a home remodeling contractor will come to take measurements of my kitchen. At this time I will be required to signa contract and make a payment towards plans for a remodel. If you have gone through this do you have any advise as to what types of questions to ask and what to look out for in the contract?
You should get estimates and references from more than one contractor. They should submit a bid to you, with a list of what they expect supplies to cost, and an estimate of the final cost. This will vary depending on your choice of materials...and sometimes time varies on finishing, depending if they run into snags....like a water pipe breaks, or your counter top isn't ready.

References from his previous jobs, he should be willing to give you several references....and possibly before and after pics of his work.

But, I do not think you should pay anything yet if the guy is just starting to look at measurements, he can't possibly have an estimate ready yet.

I'd be concerned. Another thing you want to do, is look up his contractor license and make sure he is insured and bonded....to cover any errors he might make. Do not hire anyone that is not licensed, bonded and insured.

This info should be readily available on your states web page. I put a link below for the U.S.

Be very wary of someone who is asking for money up front who has not even written you an estimate....there are plenty of scam artists.

Here's a Nat'l link to look up his license....any state.

Contractor's License Reference Site

Here are contractor scam stories/link
Contractor Scams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I must not have been clear.....the remodeler is coming to take measurements.....which they will use to to draw up blueprints and design ideas which I may like or I may not. They are not going to do any physical remodeling work. Trust me if a contract for simple drawings included wording to begin any type of construction to commence I am savvy enough to tell them to take a hike.
But, you are paying money down....and signing a contract....for what? His plans/estimate? Watch these, it will be helpful to understand the process. The first guy is very helpful.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...ctor&FORM=VDRE

Old 10-08-2016, 11:38 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
But, you are paying money down....and signing a contract....for what? His plans/estimate? Watch these, it will be helpful to understand the process.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...ctor&FORM=VDRE
Good question. I have emailed the company and asked what the contract is for and why they need a payment of any kind at this point....answer is forthcoming.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Good question. I have emailed the company and asked what the contract is for and why they need a payment of any kind at this point....answer is forthcoming.
I would watch these videos, that I just posted above....You shouldn't be paying anything yet. Be prepared, they could come up with some stupid answer......Also, check that link with the contractor license info.

Be very proactive.....This is someone who is going to be working for you....in your home. You could always use a reference website like Angie's list....but they do charge a fee. If you aren't comfortable being assertive, it might be worth it.....all the leg work, references, license etc. is already verified.

Keep us posted plz.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:26 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
Next week a home remodeling contractor will come to take measurements of my kitchen. At this time I will be required to signa contract and make a payment towards plans for a remodel. If you have gone through this do you have any advise as to what types of questions to ask and what to look out for in the contract?
Take time (3-7 days) to review the filled-out contract before signing it and before making any sort of payment.

Be sure to read it with the hypothetical assumption the contractor will try to do something wrong (this will put you in the frame of mind to notice clauses that work against you). The contract will be worded more to his benefit than yours so be sure you can accept those terms. If something bothers you talk, to him about it and be prepared to have that clause stricken from the contract.

If he offers something that isn't in the contract add a page that states that offer. Nothing spoken will be part of the contract unless it's written as part of the contract. You may add pages to a contract just be sure to notate "see addendum, p.#" prominently on the first page.

Be sure the contract includes "Dates of Completion" for the various stages of the job (including design work).

Be sure the contract requires many small payments for each stage of the project; withhold 10% of each of these payments (a retainer) until the final stage is completed and you've inspected the work thoroughly and are satisfied. Note: 10% retainage is usually just for labour costs; not materials) Be sure these payment terms are in the contract; use "see addendum, p.#" if necessary.

It is normal for the price of cabinetry (not incl. labour) to be broken down into three equal payments (10% retainage isn't usually taken from payment due for this):
1) upon order,
2) upon delivery and inspection,
3) upon installation completion

There's more but this should give you a good start. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:37 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
For those of you that are in the business I am curious to know how this works. I want a remodeler to come in and take measurements of my kitchen, draw up some plans and come up with some alternatives and ideas for changes. Do they do this for free in hopes that I like the plans and decide to have them move forward with the project? Isn't there supposed to be some sort of written agreement that they will get paid for their time and effort? What if I do not like the plans or ideas and have paid zero? Then they have wasted thier time right?
We went to Home Depot and Lowes to see how their standard sizes run for various cabinets. Then I did a Sketch-up (a software name) of the kitchen and various configurations (I think it was 2-3). Then we had both Co's use my Sketch-up for the basis of consultation and to put together a quote for the cabinet specifications (specs) we chose from both. From that we made our selection. The consultation cost is built into the markup of the cabinets.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:04 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Respectfully, there are a range of steps that are possible ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda333 View Post
Sounds like you would benefit from a kitchen designer. They aren't free, unless you get one from a company that also sells the products (and some also do the construction). But you avoid possible conflict of interest by hiring an independent designer who specializes in kitchens. I.e., a designer who you hire on your own is more likely to recommend options that could be less expensive, or use products that a company that also sells products doesn't have.

FYI Designers are surprisingly expensive, but they do make the process and getting bids much easier (I was shocked at the cost of a design for my master bath, but I live in a high COL area so YMMV). They draw up the plans (detailed, measurements, what goes where, etc.) that the contractors can easily bid on - you get apples to apples comparisons. The cost of renovating a kitchen is so very high here, the cost of a kitchen designer is worth it for me.

HTH.
Every good designer I have met, and have met some that literally have a national reputation, will be happy to meet with ANYBODY for free and discuss the OPTIONS of what sorts of renovations / plans are POSSIBLE given a set BUDGET and they will do this FOR NO CHARGE!

Now if you are hoping to "get something for nothing" the fact is anybody that has previously been burned is not gonna give away any actual drawings / plans until they are sure that everything is ready to move forward.

It is very common for both clients and contractors to want be sure they are on same page -- if one side thinks this will be a quick inexpensive job and the other things this will be costly and time consuming that is bad match! The job of a good designer / contractor includes using their UNPAID time to get "agreement in principle" before progressing to formal blueprints / design products / contracts. Most good designers / contractors know how to use cheap / free software to give a "quick & dirty" overview to potential clients. Such a draft can often be done so fast that the most efficient designers can progress to the next stage on the same visit but they also have enough business savvy to know "a well educated consumer is a better client" so they'll encourage cross shopping and "time to think about it".

Once you do decide which firm / individual is most capable of giving appropriate attention to your project the cost of the whole project is what matters more than which phase costs more. Designers with the skills to transform "an ugly duckling into a swan" are worth far more than a hack than does little more than install an ugly facade over a rotting mess.

Last edited by chet everett; 10-09-2016 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-10-2016, 02:32 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,137 times
I emailed a former contractor who had done some work on my home. He was very proffesional and his work was awesome. Honestly, I had no idea that the scope of his work included full kitchen remodels. I offered him the opportunity to take on this job and we agreed to meet in March to discuss things. Thanks for all of the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating