Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:19 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete
How is white disgusting?
I dunno....Im sorry... Im thinking of all the websites Im on ditching what they have and ALL GOING TO WHITE CRAP!!!

Its horrible.....It has no atmosphere!! -- Its bland,etc.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 11:23 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
Believe me, I'm not a fan of brown kitchens, so I understand the OP's motivation. OTOH, this looks like an unadorned pre- move-in kitchen and the surfaces look updated and modern. With some colorful accessories and rugs, you should be able to tone down the brownness. At least the appliances are SS. If they were black, that might push me over the edge. And maybe add lighting, as someone suggested. It's worth a shot.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:33 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
And I know quite a few people who have done it and it worked fine and looks great plus I have seen many online DIYs that are beautifully done. You have to make sure you do it correctly with the right paint and correct preparation. And what do you mean when you say "you can see all of the tile shapes that are under the paint."? You should be able to see each tile shape so I am not understanding what you mean by that.
Seeing photos on line is much different than seeing it in person. What I mean about the tile shape, is that certain tile shapes are generally due to a specific design and color scheme. It makes it even more obvious that the tile was painted. Some things are just not meant to be painted.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:33 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,802 times
I love the colour of the cabinets and would not paint them if this were my kitchen. I would change two things - the backsplash, to something creamy white, and the ceiling, to the same. The ceiling white has a blue tone that doesn't really enhance the cabinets. And a nice red rug for the floor as someone above suggested, perfect. That is a beautiful kitchen.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:22 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,137 times
I would change out the counters to a lighter cream granite with copper accents. There are a couple I've seen, but the names escape me right now. I'd also get rid of the single center light and install a few recessed lights and undercabinet LEDs. I wouldn't paint those cabinets.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:13 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
I would add colorful accent pieces like rugs, blinds, curtains, but I wouldn't pain the cabinets. If its a forever house then fine, but if you had to sell painted cabinets maynot be what buyers want. I know I would prefer wood to paint.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:00 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
I would have never chosen that cabinet color with the dark floors in the first place.

This being said, I would not paint the cabinets. You'll never get a factory finish - even having them professionally done in situ. I had to paint my cabinets.. I did it because they were dark, ugly, finish in bad condition.. They are solid oak.. inside and out including boxes. Over 100 years old. When I lifted the finish I discovered they were built of different types of oak which didn't match in color. I painted them white so they'd all match.

Get rid of the all the tile. Go with a neutral color. 4x4 or subway... or vertical application of neutral quartz if you hate grout like I do.

Change the countertop - to something lighter in color.

Add lighting - ceiling and undercabinet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating