Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 02:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

Upholstery when needed, most often when we move. Wood pieces are of excellent quality and permanent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 02:37 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
In the last 20 years we have replaced a dresser, bed and couch. I actually gave more furniture away to my brother when we moved.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:31 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
reupholstering with quality fabric is usually more expensive than replacing with similar quality. We will be getting a new bed when we move as this one is about 20 years old. It's about time don't ya think?
We'll get two new recliners to go with a good quality existing sofa and one or two new occasional tables as our new puppy has eaten the legs of two of them and they are 30-35 years old anyway.
We'll keep our 28 year old Ethan Allen china cabinet and dining room table and 6 chairs which coordinate (but not match) it. We'll get a new coffee table- old one is 35 years old and still in good condition but I'm tired of it. It's Ethan Allen as well.

New headboards for other bedrooms, area rugs as we are having hardwood floors throughout the house.

New light fixtures, fresh paint, throws, and pillows can really give older furniture a new look.

Oh and in the early summer we will buy new patio furniture when it goes on sale.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:56 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
This reminds me of a funny story. My parents bought a new home in 1960 and furnished it with the trendy style at the time, which was antique white/gold French Provincial. The lamps had these tall elaborate white and gold bases with cherubs and grapes and such. The coffee and end tables had marble tops. So my parents break up and my Mom moves to a couple different apartments and takes the furniture to each one. By now it's 1985 and we're buying a house together. I had shown some co-workers photos of me and my son, and all they could do was make fun of our gaudy elaborate 25-year-old lamps! So I told Mom we are NOT taking that furniture, we're getting new stuff! Well, she couldn't even get the auction places interested in taking it. Finally one did but only gave her $100. She was HIGHLY INSULTED!

So the moral of the story is, don't get trendy specific furniture unless you really want it to look dated in 10 years or so.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:57 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
We keep it until its no longer usable. Recently, our dining room chairs, which are 50+yrs old, have kicked the bucket. We need 2 new ones.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:47 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
We buy good quality pieces that last a long time. We do replace mattresses when they get worn out or furniture when it does but that's about it. We also had to replace a sectional when we moved as the sofa didn't work in the space.

Oh and when the critters destroy it. A kid, 2 cats and a dog aren't exactly great on furniture. We should have trained them to stay off it probably...but we do keep them covered and that helps a lot.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:19 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I replace things when they no longer function as they are supposed to.

I know of no one who could afford to replace furniture every few years. Seriously. that would be thousands every few years!

They are like me... you know your preferences and you buy that, instead of chasing trends.
I know of someone that does and then complains about her money problems. She can't seem to figure it out that's updating furniture around the home and painting costs lots of money. Part of the problem is her obsession with HGTV and her focus on outward appearances

Old 11-03-2016, 08:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
This reminds me of a funny story. My parents bought a new home in 1960 and furnished it with the trendy style at the time, which was antique white/gold French Provincial. The lamps had these tall elaborate white and gold bases with cherubs and grapes and such. The coffee and end tables had marble tops. So my parents break up and my Mom moves to a couple different apartments and takes the furniture to each one. By now it's 1985 and we're buying a house together. I had shown some co-workers photos of me and my son, and all they could do was make fun of our gaudy elaborate 25-year-old lamps! So I told Mom we are NOT taking that furniture, we're getting new stuff! Well, she couldn't even get the auction places interested in taking it. Finally one did but only gave her $100. She was HIGHLY INSULTED!

So the moral of the story is, don't get trendy specific furniture unless you really want it to look dated in 10 years or so.
I know exactly the furniture you are talking about. It was ugly then and even uglier now! Once I was a hostess in a million dollar home on our church's Tour of Homes. These folks were very "blue collar" who made it big in the trash pick up business. In their formal living room they had that gaudy furniture and it was probably 1985. Everybody coming through whispered, giggled, and made fun of all the furnishings. They let their teenage son do his own lower room with separate entrance and it was painted in dark gray and black with strobe lights, fancy stereo system and definitely had a kind of lecher's look to it. I heard more than one father and mother say "Our daughter will never date this guy." (He also had all his grooming products as well as his herpes and pimple prescriptions neatly laid out in his bathroom!)

Sad part about it was this woman had hoped she would finally be accepted into the Proper Social Circle of town when she put her expensive home on tour but it set her back even further.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:11 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
This reminds me of a funny story. My parents bought a new home in 1960 and furnished it with the trendy style at the time, which was antique white/gold French Provincial. The lamps had these tall elaborate white and gold bases with cherubs and grapes and such. The coffee and end tables had marble tops. So my parents break up and my Mom moves to a couple different apartments and takes the furniture to each one. By now it's 1985 and we're buying a house together. I had shown some co-workers photos of me and my son, and all they could do was make fun of our gaudy elaborate 25-year-old lamps! So I told Mom we are NOT taking that furniture, we're getting new stuff!
So, you bullied your mom into replacing furniture that she liked because you were ashamed of what your co-workers thought?

Nice.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:25 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
When it breaks, and sometimes that doesn't even motivate me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating