Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 08:40 AM

103 posts, read 253,859 times

Advertisements

My house is under construction now. Everything goes well except the color of the brick. It looks much darker than what we saw in design center when we made our decision on which brick we wanted. That was a newly introduced brick and had no sample house for us to look at when we made our decison. We only saw a small area of sample in design center, which we liked. But now it looks very different from what we are expecting. What can we do? Any suggestion will be deeply appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,083,976 times
Try to get a sample from the design center to hold against the house.

If a marked difference, you could:

1. Ask for a discount
2. Ask for the color you chose
3. Ask to be released from the deal

Might consult an attorney if builder isn't cooperative.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:38 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,029,142 times
Have you told your realtor?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:14 AM

103 posts, read 253,859 times
I went to the design center before they put the bricks on. They called the brick vendor who said it was normal. It will fade out after the power wash. So we agreed to put it on. Now its there and the color is still not the same as we saw.
I am not sure technically once they put the bricks on, is there any way for them to take all the bricks down and replace with another type? What are the options? I need to understand the possible options before I argue with the builder.

Thank you all for the help!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:20 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,676,172 times
Brick never looks like the sample board in the design center, and then different lots can have color variations as well. I doubt they will change the brick for you, that is a big expense. How much does it really bother you, can you live with it? Also, the brick will look a little different once the mortar cures, and it is cleaned.

If you can live with it, maybe you could ask for some kind of concession since it is not exactly what you wanted, but I'm sure you signed something that stated there can be variations.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 PM

823 posts, read 3,910,162 times
Color that appear different and darker in large scale is also common with paint. A color that seems pleasant on a chip can overwhelm a room. You'll probably get used to your brick.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:40 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,724,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
Color that appear different and darker in large scale is also common with paint. A color that seems pleasant on a chip can overwhelm a room. You'll probably get used to your brick.
And maybe it will fade a bit over time, making it a bit lighter???

Old 02-26-2008, 01:45 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,172,949 times
You can always talk to the builder, but unless they are using a different brick than the one you picked out, I really doubt you have any recourse because you don't like how the brick you picked out looks in real life....

We built just over a year ago and I know we were told, and had to sign off on, the fact that brick colors, exterior paint colors, shingle colors etc, once chosen could not be changed

Old 02-27-2008, 03:11 PM
rfb

2,592 posts, read 6,322,736 times
Coltank is right about brick color. Bricks are made from a natural material (got to do something with all that clay in NC, right?). No two lots are the same, and the color and shade can and does vary. Either the folks at the design center or your buyers agent should have explained that to you, but it doesn't sound like either did. Unfortunately, as bluedevilz said, the builder is not likely to do anything about it unless they installed a different brick than the one you selected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating