Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:28 PM

284 posts, read 362,412 times

Advertisements

We're about to embark on a pretty big remodeling job on a house we recently purchased. It has fairly new carpet throughout. We know we're putting hardwood in the foyer, living room and hallway, but on the fence about the bedrooms. What do y'all see as the pros and cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 11:50 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
Personally I prefer carpet in the bedrooms and wood flooring everywhere else. To me carpet has a warm feel and is nice on the feet when first getting up.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:26 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Wood. Carpet collects dust even if you vaccum it daily, and I dont want to breath it while asleep.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:09 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Agree with Elnina. Wood, then use area rugs to warm the feet.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:58 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
My former home had hardwood and I loved it, with an area rung on each bedside where your feet hit the floor. Fast forward we retire and the bedroom had carpeting and sub flooring. I had an estimate to hardwood floor the room and the salesman said he would be happy to do the job, but I would never be happy and would wind up putting rugs down. I questioned him as I had previously been delighted with the hardwood.

He said, you need to consider the size of your room and the height of the ceilings. I came out of a much smaller home and my bedroom here is a ridiculous 16.5 x 18 with 10 foot ceilings. He honestly said, I will make a LOT more money if you put in hardwood because it is more expensive to begin with than carpeting, but the echo created by the dimensions of this room will make you buy very large rugs or carpeting to compensate for the noise.

IF you have not considered this aspect, I am tossing it out there for you.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:09 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times
Ground floor bedrooms, wood with area rug around the bed. Upstairs carpet to help deaden the sound of footsteps, especially if the bedrooms are above another bedroom.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:42 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Ground floor bedrooms, wood with area rug around the bed. Upstairs carpet to help deaden the sound of footsteps, especially if the bedrooms are above another bedroom.
I am with you!

Old 11-25-2016, 07:04 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
I prefer carpet in the bedrooms. Give my feet something soft in at least that room. I lived with hardwood in the bedroom for 4 years. An area rug just didn't do the job of softness and as soon as you take a step or two, back onto hardwood the feet go.

Hardwood was throughout the house. We did have oriental rugs in the living room. Even with the best padding we could get, it still wasn't enough to give my feet a break.

My personal preference only.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
This is what we did and we're really happy with it.

OP, we had hardwoods put in the master, but we did put an area rug under the bed which extends around the bed by a few feet, so our little footsies don't freak out in the winter on a cold floor.

We found a great deal which was MUCH less expensive than an actual area rug, and which also had a lower nap which we preferred - after all, if we wanted carpet we'd just install carpet, right? So what we did was we went to a flooring store and found a carpet with a subtle pattern to it, not industrial grade but just a low nap carpet. We then had it cut to extend about three feet around our bed, and had it bound by the carpet company. Instead of costing $1000 or more like an area rug would cost, it cost us under $400.

So we have hardwood flooring in the room but our feet don't get cold. And the carpeting is low key, no fringe around the edges, very low profile, but it looks nice in a subtle way. I don't think you can see the hardwoods but maybe this picture can give you an idea of the carpet.

I feel like we have the best of both worlds now.
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood or carpet in bedrooms?-master-bedroom-2016.jpg  

Old 11-25-2016, 09:42 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
I prefer the look of hardwood, but I live in a cold climate, so carpet in the bedrooms offer the most comfort. I have carpet in my bedrooms and upstairs hallway, hardwood and tile in my living room, hallway and kitchen downstairs. It works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating