Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 06:53 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times

Advertisements

Murphy beds are nice for multi-functional rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 07:09 AM

6,704 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Thanks for comments; I'm leaning toward a regular sofa. We do have an inflatable mattress so probably between this and our existing sucks-as-a-sofa-but-decent-futon-bed Ikea sleeper, we should be all set unless we have to house the British army (we are in that colonial town of Bedford, Mass., after all!)

Old 12-03-2016, 03:00 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,037 times
I have a wonderful queen-sized Castro Convertible sofa bed from 1991. It's one of the first pieces of good furniture that I bought when I started out on my own. It's in a classic style, so I still have it in my house.

It has none of those metal things sticking up through the mattress that make many other sofa beds a nightmare to sleep on. It's so comfortable that it feels like a regular bed. Everyone who's ever lain on it says that. When we have lots of guests for the occasional wedding/funeral/special visits, I always put it to use.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:45 AM

498 posts, read 571,598 times
I currently have a sofa bed, two tall twin air mattresses, and a quest room queen regular bed. The sofa is fine for a couple of hours of tv time and is better than the air beds for sleeping. I have had two futons...one with coiled mattress. That was very nice but could not take the wear and tear of daily use as a sofa. Our company consists of adults, teenagers, and relatives with bad backs (who complain about every sleeping arrangement).

Old 12-05-2016, 03:01 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
We have had 3 sleeper sofas. 1 was some old wood thing from the 70s and 110% comfortable. We loved it. 2 was a HUGE heavy thing and impossible to move. 3 was from IKEA and not comfy and very low to the ground.

Id go the daybed or futon route if i had a choice.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:25 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
If you get a sleeper sofa, get a 2 or 3" foam mattress topper to use with it (if you have the storage). They can be folded up and take up a little room under your bed, for example, with one of those bags you use a vacuum to remove the air.

Daybeds are not a good option for living room/family room furniture. They are NOT comfortable seating.

I would rather sleep on a sleeper sofa than a futon personally but out of the other options, the inflatable beds/air mattresses are the most comfortable. I would suggest getting several twin size mattresses vs getting queen size. They are not the best option for 2 people to sleep on. If you have a couple that want to share a bed, you could put two twin air mattresses together and make the bed with a king sheet set.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:44 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
We got one for when we would have overnight guests (in laws). They would use our room while Mrs. NBP and I used the sleeper (I'm a very early riser so I wouldn't disturb them).

She and I also used it some when the kids weren't home and we'd have a fire in the fireplace.

It's been several years since we've used it, although it gets heavy use as a couch.

It was fairly comfortable but, as mentioned, a bear to move around.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:43 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
We have a sleeper sofa in our formal living room (which we never use, so having a sleeper in there for additional guests works). We paid top dollar for the sleeper sofa because we wanted it to be COMFORTABLE (having slept on awful sleeper sofas in my time, I didn't not want our guests to have that issue). We got a Huntington House sofa with an Air Dream mattress that inflates to 15" thick. No feeling a bar in your back all night with this one!

It has come in handy because when my husband had extensive knee surgery he was unable to take the stairs, so he slept on the sleeper sofa for 6 weeks during his recovery. I slept a few nights on that sofa with him to help him during his worst nights, and the sleeper was SO COMFORTABLE.

I agree with others that say a sleeper sofa is VERY heavy - so only get one if you don't plan on moving anytime soon! But it's a great investment.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:40 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
In my opinion, sleeper sofas were invented solely for the purpose of making sure your guests don't stay more than three days - LOL.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,301 times
Default best sleeper sofas

Sleeper sofas still have a bad rep but take a look at these - [url]https://tradesourcefurniture.com/collections/furniture-sale[/url]. Designed in Denmark and made to be comfortable as a sofa AND a bed. A quality sofa bed is a function of how flat the mattress is. The older fold out versions never got quite flat enough to make it a comfortable night sleep. These do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating