Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times

Advertisements

I believe the middle of the screen should be at viewers' eye level when they are sitting. That places TVs much lower than most people have them. It also places computer screens higher than many people position them. I don't think you should be looking down or up to view a monitor. If it's a situation where many viewers will be seated at a bar or milling around, such as a party room, you can get away with it being higher. But just as one shouldn't be too close to the TV for the eyes, viewers shouldn't have to strain their neck muscles to watch. Doctors say young people are already exhibiting neck damage from spending all their time looking down at phone screens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 01:39 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Wow, that room is 1000% improved! I wish you had some furniture in there and also that we could see the other side of the room so we'd get an idea of furniture placement.

I really hate TVs over fireplaces. I don't even like TVs visible in the living room. Up til last year, I had a beautiful armoire for the TV so it was hidden behind doors when not in use. However, it could only hold a 42" TV and I fell prey to TV envy of my friends who had 55 inchers, so out went the armoire and in came a console about 6' wide for the TV. Perfect viewing height.

If you do put it over the fireplace, I think it will be too high. It would strain my neck. Don't they have furniture-type wall-mounted TV enclosures that are attractive and could hold a TV that can be pulled down for viewing and then put back behind the doors? I saw one on HGTV once where it was basically a false surround for the TV on the wall. They had to make it themselves (it was a designer challenge show) but it looked nice in the end.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:36 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
I was going to reface it with grey or white quarts bricks, but decided that I could do that later. The original bricks were hideous.

This is just step 1. Step 2 will be using a big sponge and applying grey paint over the white to create a nice texture.

As seen here: https://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas...keover/project

Step 3 would be to install the new glass fireplace door I picked up at Home Depot.

The sofa will be grey fabric so I think it will tie in nicely. The Area rug I have is this: https://www.wayfair.com/Wade-Logan-M...-WADL9696.html

old.

The refinished floor looks 100x better!

Very nice. Youre doing a great job. The room is coming together quite nicely. The fireplace looks good and so does the rug. I'm not sure I like them together though. I get a busy feeling of stripes and plaids. Could just be me and my old house traditional self.
OP do you have pics of the front door and those walls.

Quote:
Care to share your setup? I need some ideas. The bad thing is if I put the sofa facing the TV on the other side of the fireplace. The back of the sofa is the first thing people will see when they enter through the front door.

Is your house also setup like that? When looking into the front entry way, people will see the wall where the fireplace is.

JMO This would be a perfect opportunity to carve out an "entry" A lot of people do this by backing up their sofa with a piece of furniture. It can be a sofa table but it could also be a low bookcase or a credenza or even an antique sideboard. If there's room a mirror and a bench to sit on would look nice on the wall by the door. Or maybe a vintage hall tree if you're into that kind of stuff. You will need a focal point on that wall. Lots of unique used/vintage stuff out there to repurpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Wow, that room is 1000% improved! I wish you had some furniture in there and also that we could see the other side of the room so we'd get an idea of furniture placement.

I really hate TVs over fireplaces. I don't even like TVs visible in the living room. Up til last year, I had a beautiful armoire for the TV so it was hidden behind doors when not in use. However, it could only hold a 42" TV and I fell prey to TV envy of my friends who had 55 inchers, so out went the armoire and in came a console about 6' wide for the TV. Perfect viewing height.

If you do put it over the fireplace, I think it will be too high. It would strain my neck. Don't they have furniture-type wall-mounted TV enclosures that are attractive and could hold a TV that can be pulled down for viewing and then put back behind the doors? I saw one on HGTV once where it was basically a false surround for the TV on the wall. They had to make it themselves (it was a designer challenge show) but it looked nice in the end.

I know just how you feel. I was perfectly happy with my nice old wood console TV but the Huz just had to have one of those giant black shiny dust magnets. Im considering a few options. One is to make a giant bookcase and put it on a shelf. Ive also been looking for one of those giant antique knock down wardrobes. I also have some vintage doors so I could make a wardrobe. Lots of stuff going on so everything tends to fall into "one of these days" now.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:43 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Care to share your setup? I need some ideas. The bad thing is if I put the sofa facing the TV on the other side of the fireplace. The back of the sofa is the first thing people will see when they enter through the front door.

Is your house also setup like that? When looking into the front entry way, people will see the wall where the fireplace is.
This should be your setup

DSC_2711.jpg Photo by srs-mom | Photobucket

There is nothing to say that you can't have two couches if the space allows with the one chair in the corner by the fireplace. You could also put the tv on a swivel base so that you can swivel it if you have a number of people watching like on game night. I wouldn't "mount" the tv. It would make more sense and be more aesthetic to have a cabinet of some sort. This would also give you more flexibility in moving it around later if you choose.

Last edited by NorthofHere; 12-04-2016 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: add comments

Old 12-04-2016, 02:48 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
My 2 cents...NOT over the fireplace. Get a nice stand and locate in the corner a bit....

Nice job on the remodel...

Old 12-04-2016, 03:17 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
My above the fireplace mount looked great from everywhere except when I sat to watch it. My neck hurt from looking up. There are plenty of sites that have a basic formula that will recommend the proper mounting height based on TV size and where you will primarily sit to watch it.

Mine is no longer above the fireplace. It is on a wall (actually above two feet lower) and much more comfortable to watch.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:18 AM

193 posts, read 169,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
This should be your setup

DSC_2711.jpg Photo by srs-mom | Photobucket

There is nothing to say that you can't have two couches if the space allows with the one chair in the corner by the fireplace. You could also put the tv on a swivel base so that you can swivel it if you have a number of people watching like on game night. I wouldn't "mount" the tv. It would make more sense and be more aesthetic to have a cabinet of some sort. This would also give you more flexibility in moving it around later if you choose.
Wow, pretty similar! Thanks for the photo. It does give me some idea. I think I will buy a TV stand instead of wall mounting it. (for now).

I'll take some pics of all 4 corners and the front door entry way looking in to the living room to paint a better picture.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
My 2 cents...NOT over the fireplace. Get a nice stand and locate in the corner a bit....
Nice job on the remodel...
I will be doing exactly that. Now, time to find a TV stand.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:11 AM

Quick question. Is a 79" TV stand too big for this room? The wall I am planning to put it up against is 120" wide. So I'll have about 20" of space on both side of the stand.

This is the Stand I'm interested in.

79" TV Stand

But I can settle for this cheapo one which is a 60".

Old 12-13-2016, 12:49 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Wow, pretty similar! Thanks for the photo. It does give me some idea. I think I will buy a TV stand instead of wall mounting it. (for now).

I'll take some pics of all 4 corners and the front door entry way looking in to the living room to paint a better picture.
I agree. This is exactly the type of set up I was going to suggest. I had a similar issue but with less wall space. I bought a Art easel tv stand from Restoration hardware. I get complements on my stand all the time. I have my tv more in the corner next to a set of french doors.

https://www.restorationhardware.com/...egoryId=search

Nice job on the living room renovation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating