Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
The topic of this thread is color of the year. And more generally, the presence of color in design. As you said yourself, pops of color have ALWAYS been around. And neutrals will always be around and you would know this if you are in design. So really, you are just complaining for the sake of complaining.
No, I'm not. I'm complaining because I am sick of gray. And sick of grayish colors.

This is my opinion. You have yours. Let it be spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Lol......the attitude on this on........geeez....
Yes, I'm on it.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:55 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No, I'm not. I'm complaining because I am sick of gray. And sick of grayish colors.

This is my opinion. You have yours. Let it be spoken.
Sure, everyone is free to complain. But your complaint isn't really unique to this year or even this thread really. So just as long as we agree that you're complaining for the sake of complaining, we can move on.

I'm much more interested in how others will (or will not) incorporate the color of the year in their home decorating, and if they dislike greenery, what other colors they are using and what the color fads will be after this year. Personally I love blues, plum, and lavender so I hope something along that spectrum will make it into the colors of the year in the near future.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:47 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Sure, everyone is free to complain. But your complaint isn't really unique to this year or even this thread really. So just as long as we agree that you're complaining for the sake of complaining, we can move on.

I'm much more interested in how others will (or will not) incorporate the color of the year in their home decorating, and if they dislike greenery, what other colors they are using and what the color fads will be after this year. Personally I love blues, plum, and lavender so I hope something along that spectrum will make it into the colors of the year in the near future.
I love plum/purples..especially paired with contrasting white trim. Our last home had a plum master and our current home has a gray/lavender room SW Chaste Mauve. Bright yet soft. My house currently has quite a few red areas...our dining room is SW "stop" and positive red is on two accent walls in the kitchen. I'm currently trying to introduce teal as an accent in the loft area and an orange (pumpkin orange) in the spare bedroom. I also love gray bc it ties everything together

Old 01-17-2017, 06:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
How many "Pops of color" do you use? There are basic neutrals we usually paint our walls and of course upholstered furniture is all over the place. But would you have one color in an accent wall, another color in a lamp, a different "pop" in area rug? Or would you try to keep your Pops to one color or shades of that color?

I am a retired landscape designer. I could easily say green is my favorite color..well that and blue and all the variations thereof. But this particular green is too harsh ( for lack of better word). It is not soothing. Wonder if it is because I don't like the taste of limes and this color reminds me of limes. Also it is a bit too contemporary or modern for MY taste. Could age have something to do with it?

I would like to see how it is used with accessories in a real home. But I think a wall painted this color would set my nerves on age. But that's just me.

I love to see how people decorate their homes. Most of us work within budget restrictions and can't change often so I think we tend to stay pretty neutral with maybe changing out accessories from time to time but who can change out all accessories often? And do we make choices based on trends and what is new or do we make choices on what is tried and true and "safe"?

Old 01-17-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Oh I'm moving on anyway, though I am not "complaining just for the sake of complaining."

The market has been SATURATED with grays and greiges for years now - including grays as "Color of the Year" from various sources over and over again (I've already given those sources so I won't repeat myself). If you refuse to understand that many people are sick of grays, that's not my problem - nor is it an issue I care to continue to discuss with you.

So yes, I'm moving on, along with many other folks who are just as sick of grays as I am.

Back on topic, I like the Pantone Green in small doses. Blues are my favorite, and blueish greens. I dislike lavenders and pinks and most pale purples. I love oranges, various browns, some reds, but not most yellows, though I do like gold.

I prefer very saturated accent colors as opposed to muddy or pale colors. I can admire decors in colors that I don't much like, however, including color schemes with a gray base. I am just not personally drawn to them.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:46 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Our new home has warm gray walls and the lime green fireplace frame gives a much needed pop of color:

Spoiler

Old 01-17-2017, 04:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
????????

Old 01-17-2017, 08:47 PM

There's nothing there when I click on the spoiler.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I am on record as liking gray. It works so well with white trim, of which I have plenty. But I like color, and with gray walls I can add all sorts of color with furnishings and accessories.

But I didn't use only one gray in my house; I used three separate grays. And I love the colors now as much as I did when I had the wall painted.

But we get to decorate our homes to please ourselves. And we also get to express our opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating