Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 08:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times

Advertisements

This situation is very common in apartments. I've lived in apartments and condos most of my life, so I'm used to it. I usually decorate the area somehow ... artwork, narrow shelves, a bar to hang coffee mugs on, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 09:01 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I know how you feel, OP. I have the same problem in my present house. I miss looking out into the woods like I used to.
Anyway, I've gotten used to it. I bought a quirky oil panting of chickens and hung it over the sink. The picture amuses me, so it's better than nothing?

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-24-2020 at 07:07 AM..

Old 01-18-2017, 09:16 AM

98 posts, read 167,562 times
I agree, that would be depressing. In my old house, my sink faced a cut out to the living room so I could watch TV or look out the living room windows and watch the neighbors This was a town house neighborhood

In my current house, the sink also faces a huge cut out to the sun room with tons of windows that overlook a wooded area with deer walking around all the time. It's gorgeous.

If you do end up getting a place with a wall, how about some shelves or art work or decorative plates or something?

Old 01-18-2017, 07:51 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I live in a Brooklyn NY apartment, and there is no window over the sink, the window is actually directly on the wall behind the sink. Nothing you can really do about it.

It doesnt really bother me, even after growing up in a house with one.

I did however, when re doing the kitchen, get glass muntton doors for over the sink, this way the glass sort of acts like a mirror, and I can see the reflection, so that works for me.

Plus I have all my fancy glasses and decorative things on the shelves.....and can change it often....

you learn to work with what you have.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:57 PM

61,644 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I would not mind, I used to have it that way.
Washing dishes supposed to be a chore done fast and efficient - without "gazing through the window at the world outside and living in a dream of fantasy, oh yeah yeah yeah!"

Old 01-21-2017, 10:18 AM

461 posts, read 508,672 times
While I like having a window over the sink, if it didn't it wouldn't bother me. I just get the job done quickly either way. My kitchen now has a small window facing my neighbors yard. This is in an old rundown neighborhood so not very appealing. I do like the natural light a window brings to the room. But due to the size of the window and the direction it faces, I always have to use the light even in the middle of the day.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:12 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Agree with OP and others about must have window over the sink. I love to look outside as I do dishes, at the squirrels playing in the pines. We also planted some new trees in the view, and I contemplate how much they've grown since placing them there. No window over the sink, I'm not happy. And life is too short to not be happy. It may be a small thing, but it's a nonstarter for me.
Always had a window over sink, always will.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:54 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
It depends on the space. I've been in apartments and condos where it works fine but in a SFH I prefer a window over the sink. When I remodeled my house I considered a couple different layout options and one had a wide family room addition on the back of the house with a kitchen sink open to it. I opted for a smaller addition so I could have a window over the sink instead. It just feel right in the in this style home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating