Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which direction did you go in, the last time you redecorated?
I changed my white/neutral walls to colored walls 35 60.34%
I changed my colored walls to white/neutral 23 39.66%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 09:31 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,057,320 times

Advertisements

I guess neither? I have gray walls throughout, not too dark but dark enough that they read as having color. In my last house, I had one main color but then individual rooms were other colors. I loved the paint in that house, but now after having the same color throughout, I really like that better, particularly with the very open floor plan I have - the first floor is one large open room (plus a powder room) but it also has a large open stairwell up to the loft, so it would be tough to find a place to change out the paint colors between those areas. So even if I do repaint at some point, I think I'd just do the whole house the same color again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 11:38 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,968,193 times
Neither. We bought a house with floral wallpaper and grayed mauve walls! So we had all the nursing home wallpaper taken down, walls fixed, and new, mostly neutral colors painted on. I used 5 colors for the entire house. all but one of colors were some variation of gray. The only non gray was a light foggy green which I used in my master bath.

I have received compliments on my colors. I think I should have used 1 fewer color though. But I loved all of them, and I wanted to use them.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:44 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,369,782 times
The previous owners had very subdued ugly neutral colors that I couldn't stand. I've since repainted most of the rooms in color. I have a vividly red dining room, lavender sitting room, gray through the main areas, blue bedroom.... I've never cared for homes that were the same color throughout or lacked color entirely.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:53 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,687,790 times
My current house was beige on beige when I bought it. Beige walls, beige carpet, beige tile. My first project was to replace most of the beige carpet with a dark wood. Then I painted the living room/kitchen a light sage with an accent wall. The master bed and bath became a couple of different shades of smoky blue. The gym is now lighter shades of smoky blue. The upstairs guest room and guest bath are various shades of peach. It's kinda like living inside a Monet painting - I love it.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:08 AM

22,643 posts, read 6,396,557 times
The builder used the basic off white paint when the house was built 11 years ago,
and we haven't changed it.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:14 AM

17,427 posts, read 65,649,788 times
Let's just say that the "hideous" is gone and now there's a more "neutral" palate.

One trim color, one ceiling color, and two wall colors throughout-

Before- 8 wall colors, two trim colors, hideous carpet, and the cheapest bamboo flooring I've ever seen!

Old 01-08-2017, 04:03 PM

483 posts, read 414,887 times
Technically, since there is not a third option of neither...
I say I went from colors from previous house to a white wall home now but it's painted by last owner.

I kept it because I love the look of the clean white. And being frugal n green... Hate to waste a good paint job.

But white really do bring out the colors of my furnitures n decor I find. And I love colors against white.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:32 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,182,214 times
Having been in design and art my whole life I find myself leaning towards a white-cream-nutral color. Having to be involved in daily endless color choices and crisis and then coming home to wallpaper I could not stop critiquing it, finding any minute flaw or printing error or hanging mistake. Likewise with color on the walls, they lock me into one "feeling" and don't keep up with my varied interests, stifling me and choking the life out of me. I do like pops of colors and have themes, or I should say organized use of bits of color, but rarely if ever patterns. I would love an all white room from top to bottom with everything in between white and modern I find it totally calming, but my family doesn't join me in that love.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:41 AM

193 posts, read 168,120 times
I went with a more neutral tone. Previous two tone was dingy. Also went from a glossy / semi gloss floor to a Satin finish floor. Address recessed lighting too. Ceiling also with from semi-gloss to more of a flat finish.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,968,193 times
Nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating