Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 03:49 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,920,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I got Target towels for my kids, and they are falling apart. The ends are coming unhemmed.
Yup, that's what happened to my target towels as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 04:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,935,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I got Target towels for my kids, and they are falling apart. The ends are coming unhemmed.
I bought some Target towels 4 years ago, when I also bought some towels from BB&B for our master. After four years, you can tell that the Target towels are not as good quality. The hems unravel, for one thing. I've sewn up two items, and there is another unraveling as I speak. And the towels have not remained as soft as the other towels, although all of them have become harsher with washing and drying.

I don't think highly of Target merch in general, and the towel experience reinforces my impression.

We will be replacing our towels with the redo of our master. I will be choosing middle of the pack quality, with none of those pesky loops on the nap of the underside of the towels.

Which brings me to my question about this issue. How long do most of you use your towels? I've been known to keep mine for about a decade. Is that longer than the norm? Just curious.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:36 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,407,532 times
Going to second towels from Sam's Club, the ones I bought were only @ $7 each (for a bath size towel) none have snagged and are still nice and fluffy even after 5 years or so of use.

I do only wash towels with towels/wash cloths and tea towels as I like to hot wash them. Maybe your towels are getting snagged in the washer if you do a mixed load ?

Old 01-15-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Which brings me to my question about this issue. How long do most of you use your towels? I've been known to keep mine for about a decade. Is that longer than the norm? Just curious.
If it was up to my SO, we'd keep the towels forever. He had a set of towels that were thread barren and could barely be considered towels. I bought new towels and let him continue using the old ones until he realized how much nicer the big fluffy towels are. We had the new towels for about 8 years before we replaced them. The ones we have now are about a year old, but I don't see them lasting another decade. They're not a good quality. I'll probably keep them until we move in a few years and then redecorate the bathroom decor.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Going to second towels from Sam's Club, the ones I bought were only @ $7 each (for a bath size towel) none have snagged and are still nice and fluffy even after 5 years or so of use.

I do only wash towels with towels/wash cloths and tea towels as I like to hot wash them. Maybe your towels are getting snagged in the washer if you do a mixed load ?

I also have those towels from Sams. They look awful after only a year. I only wash my towels with other towels, and sometimes bed sheets. There is nothing for them to snag on.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,264,267 times
Wamsutta. I replace them every five years or so.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:44 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,249,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Ok, I must be using bath towels ALL WRONG! I mean, nearly 5 decades on this planet and I'm not sure I've ever had one 'snag'? Cheap ones, thin ones, hand-me-downs, bought from garage sales 4 for a buck, from Walmart, Target, and we splurged one for some from Penneys. Some did little more than push the water around my skin, but not a single one of them "snagged".

What am I doing Wrong? My wife is in the same boat as me (at least for the nearly 2 decades we've been together), though she may have been doing it right to get snags before that....
Thanks so much for the helpful post.

No, I haven't been buying cheap towels. All one has to do is google "towels that don't snag" or "towel reviews" to realize that this is a common problem with towels. If you're not experiencing it, then kudos to you, you extra special person. You're clearly superior and I bow before you.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Yeah me either!.....I just did an inventory of my towels.....no snags. What do you suppose she is snagging them on?
The diamond setting on my wedding band.

My diamond stud earrings.

My diamond fleur de lis necklace.

Apparently I'm wearing too many diamonds.

The thing is, this is a new problem, though the diamonds are NOT new. That's what confuses me. They never used to snag my towels, now they do. I want towels that don't snag on diamonds, I guess.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:48 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,264,267 times
You do realize how incredibly obnoxious that reads, right?

Old 01-15-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Wamsutta. I replace them every five years or so.

THIS is a good name - or used to be. I had some Wamsutta towels and I STILL have them, though they no longer match my bathroom. I wonder if they're still made the same? I will go Wamsutta shopping and run my wedding band across the towel and see if it snags - LOL. Thanks for the reminder.

By the way, folks, it's not my washer or dryer - my ring snags them. (I don't take my wedding band off when I bathe - or actually ever, except to clean it.)

Also, my diamond stud earrings, which also never come off.

I usually also wear the small fleur de lis pendant necklace that my husband had made for me - it has little points on it.

But the thing is, I've always worn these things - for at least a decade. They never used to snag my towels and now they catch on them all the time, and that's the last TWO sets of towels I've bought (and none were cheap ones either, adding to my frustration). We are remodeling our master bath and I am going to buy new towels and doggone it, I want some that don't snag and I know it's possible to make them because I've owned them before. If I didn't mind using 15 year old, jewel tone paisley print towels in my new neutral toned bathroom, I'd just pull those out (they've been relegated to beach and hot tub usage but they still look and perform great!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating