Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:30 PM

11 posts, read 13,448 times

Advertisements

I'd love some input on an interesting Spanish Revival in Houston that I'm closing on in a few days with a lot of original custom cabinetry and trim. It's actually got a little bit of history behind it so I'm focused on preserving the original custom elements but just modernizing through fixtures, finishes and paint. Here are some pictures from the listing -

The white ceramic tile in the breakfast area, kitchen and dining room will soon be replaced with saltillo before I move in. I'll probably be throwing in a few 4x4 painted talavera tiles for color every other square tile. I'll also probably try and go with a little bit lighter glaze as I don't want it to completely blend in with wooden floors in living room. Suggestions appreciated...

​​

All interior walls will be a stark, flat white and the various trim and custom woodwork will go to a rich brown to somewhat tie in with ceiling beams. I am a little concerned with how this trim work will turn out considering it all has already been painted. I shudder to think how much it would be to have all of it sanded down and just stained dark, which is what I'd prefer. Is it realistic to think this could be lightly sanded and then painted a rich brown and not look like tacky? I'm sure paint product has a lot to do with this.

​​

Kitchen is small but I'm thinking a dark leathered granite counter, white cabinetry and paint the custom trim elements on the cabinetry to match the other brown trim around the home. A la -

​​

Bathrooms will eventually be saltillo as well, a smaller pattern, with cabinetry painted to match whatever I decide for the kitchen and a light granite. Would love any suggestions/thoughts/advice from fresh eyes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 07:28 AM

492 posts, read 637,777 times
I like the Saltillo tiles for the kitchen/dining room. I'd save the talavera tiles for smaller spaces, maybe the bathroom floor. Adding it into the large space would be too busy for me.

I personally am not a fan of the medallions on the kitchen cabinets. However, I find the same cabinets painted one color, like in the master bath, looks pretty good.

I love the idea of the leathered finish countertops and the tile back splash. Do check out a leathered finish countertop in person. Some folks don't like how they look when water gets splashed on them, or how they don't wipe clean as easily.

I don't know what to tell you about the wood trim. I have a traditional house with a lot of mahagony wood trim that the realtors tell me I should paint white to sell the house. I just can't do it. I know once you paint it it is hard to go back.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
I like a lot about your new house! Congrats!

What jumps out at me to change ASAP is:

1. Bathroom - ugh, those mirrors. Not a fan of the cabinet doors in either the bathroom or the kitchen. Neither changes would be super expensive. I actually like the crazy light fixtures in the bathroom though - if you get rid of the other campy stuff like the mirrors and medallioned cabinet doors.

2. Kitchen - lots to do there. I'd replace the cabinet doors AND paint the cabinets. Of course replace all the tile - on floors and counter tops. I'd seriously consider taking out that peninsula and adding a long, sort of narrow custom island instead, with all sorts of cool built ins and electricity added too.

I really like your backsplash idea for the kitchen. I also like the leathered granite idea for the counter tops. Don't rule out soapstone, which would look great with that sort of tile you like for the backsplash.

I would consider incorporating the same patterned tile in the bathroom somehow.

I'd put hardwoods in the bedrooms but hey, that's just me. Some people don't like that but you're in Houston - it's not like you're going to have to deal much with "cold floors."

Cool house. I love the porch area.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:25 AM

Lol. While I agree with most I would have never had those cabinets custom built for my home...this home is actually in a historically designated piece of Houston surrounded by a ton of midcentury moderns. The people who built this house in the 70's had actually built the most famous house in the neighborhood (featured in magazines throughout the years) and those same emblems can be found in that home as well. It's a very unique home in an already unique neighborhood. I'm committed to doing what I can to modernize while not destroy.

If you look closely a lot of the custom woodwork is even in the bathrooms and closet doors. It may not be to everyone's taste, mine included to a degree, but it's worth saving if I can modernize appropriately around it. Here is another photo of the living room where you can yet again see some of the custom woodwork that has survived almost 50 years now.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:30 AM

22,554 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysorka View Post
this home is actually in a historically designated piece of Houston .
Then is may not matter what the internet - or even you - thinks should be done to the home.
City of Houston - Historic Preservation Manual

Old 01-18-2017, 10:01 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Unfortunately, trim that is painted may have originally been painted, and if so it is probably made from material that will not look good stripped, sanded, and painted.

If it was originally unpainted, it can be a real bear to get it back to the unpainted appearance because the paint probably has soaked into the pores. It probably will never look like it did originally.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Then is may not matter what the internet - or even you - thinks should be done to the home.
City of Houston - Historic Preservation Manual
The exterior of homes can't be drastically changed outside of paint and fixtures and additions have to be approved. Interior isn't regulated...that would be impossible to enforce regardless.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:02 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times
I actually like the medallions in the doors but I do prefer the painted as is in the bathroom.

I bet those interior doors are solid not hollow core. Beautiful house and can't wait to see what you end up doing.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
What a nice house! I like it.

I also like most of your plans, and thanks to your second post, I get that you respect the custom work that was done originally on the house. I admit that I dislike the kitchen cabinets, and would probably get rid of the doors with medallions as quickly as I could. I certainly would not highlight the medallions by painting them dark to contrast with the rest of the cabinetry. But, if you like them, then I say go for it.

I like the sound of your choices for flooring and countertops. The Saltillo should look great in the house. I might like to see some colorful Mexican tiles in the kitchen and bath though, for splashbacks, for instance.

I don't like "stark white" on any wall, ever, however. Why paint something "stark" anything? You do like contrast though, so I would recommend choosing a warm white, if you must have white. And I also do not think you have have to have white in every room. Consider another color in the dining room, and one hopes, the master bedroom.

I love the covered patio in back. I love the color; it looks so happy. I can't help noticing an aluminum slider at the end of the porch. You might want to replace that with a higher end door.

I'd love to see pics of what do with this gorgeous house. It really is special.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:46 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
My thoughts - you really shouldn't change a thing! It's not your cookie cutter McModern subdivision house...you don't have to have "modern" things. The house is absolutely gorgeous - beams, wainscotting, wood floors, unusual things oh my! If you want to modernize anything then change out the counters. DO NOT PAINT THOSE LOVELY WOOD CABINETS for the love of Pete. Do not mess with the Patio area. In fact, don't mess with many of the fixtures, just the ceiling fans and maybe a dated one here and there. Replace the appliances, of course. You don't need to change the paint. Stark white will look ugly, sorry. As for the 16 x 16 plain ceramic tile, which seems out of place in such a unique home, your saltillo choice is great, but slate would also give things a nice look too. Save your money for any repairs that may come down the road. That house has character, as you know. do not defile it by trying to shoehorn "modern" things into it. I don't have a revival house but a 90s traditional and I always have to mind the character of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating