Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 93,544 times

Advertisements

I am almost finished texturing my whole house with the valspar smooth texture. It looks gorgeous. It does not go very far though, and can get expensive, so in some of the rooms I used a molding half way up, painted below the molding and textured above it. This worked well because most of the wall imperfections are on the upper part of the wall. Looks great! Several of my friends have started doing it in their older homes now as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 10:12 AM

51 posts, read 304,503 times
Default sherwin williams

I did the soft seude technique in our powder room. I just looks like dusty paint. I did it all but two walls look better than the others.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,665 times
Default Success with textured paint also

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlegalpro View Post
I am using Valspar smooth textured paint available at Lowes. You trowel it on like venetian plaster, but it is a much easier one-step process. You do not have to prime first, and it covers the imperfections in my old walls with no muss no fuss. It looks great. It is precolored right in the texture so you do not have to paint afterwards, but is only available in a 12 or so colors, mostly light neutral colors. I started just doing it in my guest bathroom, and now I am doing the whole house.
I'm redoing an upstairs hall bathroom and used the Valspar smooth textured paint because the walls were imperfect to begin with. It was a little tedious to trowel on, but I'm happy with the plaster look. And painting over it was easy since the walls are textured - it required much less precision. I'm pleased with the results -- the texture adds a nice wow factor for the room.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:05 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
I used Ralph Laurent "River Rock". It came out very good, makes the walls rough, and far away looks like rock formation...as if you were looking at the huge rock formations in Central Park.

I used gold which has teeny tiny black speckles in it, and I also used the deep moss green which also has the teeny tiny black speckles.

The gallon doesn't go very far, you need a lot. It is not cheap by paint standards. It also has to be painted 2 coats, and not straight up and down, but has to be painted in arch's so as to overlap in certain areas to see the texture.
River rock has a how to video, watch it, it explains everything.

I am very happy with the look of it, as I am an extremely fussy person hen it comes to the house

Old 01-27-2011, 05:29 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,057 times
I used the Lowe's paint with the sand and tiny gold mica flecks on accent walls in two bedrooms. One bedroom is a pale, muted blue, with slate-colored sandy textured paint on the accent wall. The other room is a caramel brown, with a sienna-brown textured accent wall. I like the look, and in three years, the walls haven't gotten dirty, so cleaning isn't an issue. The only drawback is that there's a hard-to-reach power strip behind the bed headboard against one of the textured walls, and I skin my knuckles on those rare occasions when I have to plug or unplug something.

We have an annual Street of Dreams home showcase in Portland, and for about three years, textured plaster walls with variably toned earth-tone or Shimmerstone metallic paint were popular. I found them gorgeous, and plan to repaint at least a couple of rooms using this technique. I like the Pacific Rim Asian contemporay look, and textured walls with earth tones work well with that style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating