Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 03:36 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,299,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh, the scourge of television. If only you didn't need to have it in there, much would be solved. What a lovely house!
Guess what! You don't need a giant TV in your living room. You can buy a small one. Or you can have it in the spare bedroom or somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 07:46 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,521,021 times
Great house.
Love all the wood.

Using your existing furniture & getting more--

-first mount the tv on the wall (with a swivel wall mount which adjusts, if wanted) where the horizontal picture is now.
-get a narrow sofa table for in front of the window with the lead glass (put a fluffy fern on it)
-put sofa in front of sofa table & facing now wall mounted tv
-then ditch tv stand ...& put two arm chairs & small round table or interesting square trunk as table in that existing tv stand space.
-add an area rug in your style to pop color from your paintings & to set your wood coffee table off from wood floor. Area rugs accent wood floors beautifully. I am partial to old Persian ones.
-add a floor lamp in corner by right side of new sofa location

Old 01-26-2017, 11:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,003,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Guess what! You don't need a giant TV in your living room. You can buy a small one. Or you can have it in the spare bedroom or somewhere else.
Obviously no one needs a tv in their living room, but most people like to have one there. No one wants to invite people over to watch football/hockey/baseball/whatever in their bedroom. And who wants to go sit in bed at 7pm to watch the evening news? Tvs are more functional in the living room.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:21 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,837,540 times
Ahh old houses!! Ours is from 1920 and we too have a funky living room set up!

I like your dining room, keep that.

Living: id do something about the couch, im just not sure what though... it does look floaty.

I cant really say much because i have the same problem- shove it in a corner/wall because i dont have space for in the middle like you! The TV has to go on the fireplace because theres no room elsewhere.

-------------
As for the TV in the living room...We are taking ours out. Above reason (no room) and we want to get the focus away from TV. Yes if you want to watch something you go to the bedroom or you dont watch it on the TV. What will i use my living room for then? Sitting, Playing, Reading, Sewing.

What will my bedroom be for? Sleeping, Playing, Reading, News watching and maybe a movie cuddle in bed with the kids.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:29 AM

50,315 posts, read 63,868,866 times
I guess OP can just count his blessings that there's no fireplace. Then there'd be no place for furniture at all.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:53 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,192,497 times
Buy a smaller sectional, leave the Tv where it is, and put the sectional closer to the right wall. You have a beautiful house.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:25 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,299,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Obviously no one needs a tv in their living room, but most people like to have one there. No one wants to invite people over to watch football/hockey/baseball/whatever in their bedroom. And who wants to go sit in bed at 7pm to watch the evening news? Tvs are more functional in the living room.
If you had continued reading to my second sentence you would have seen that my first suggestion was to replace the giant TV with a smaller one, thus giving flexibility in where to put it in the living room.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 2,911 times
Wow! I really appreciate all of the feedback you've all provided! It's helped us immensely.

Here is what we are currently thinking. Dining room stays pretty much the same, I'll probably move that long poster into it to fill that wall space. We have so much art we need to hang still, and I'm in the processes of converting what we have over into white frames as it feels a lot less heavy on the wall.

The thing the TV is sitting on is actually an ancient radio console/record player. The radio still works, but you can't access it with the TV on top. We'd move that into the dining room as it's only 17" wide. Worse case scenario it can go upstairs or into the bedroom.

The TV would get mounted on the wall. We tried arranging it a bunch of different ways, and it always either wound up blocking a window, or felt like it was precariously floating in the open. The previous owners had their TV in the same spot, but it was in a giant hutch of some sort.

The big couch would go against the wall opposite of the TV. It would be off center from the TV, but many of the mounts I've looked at do swing out.

I'd love to get a nice reading chair or two in there, along with a bookshelf. We're still working on figuring out what plants we can have that the cats won't chew on or get sick from.

That would leave all of the windows open, remove the TV from the floor and open everything up for a bit more furniture. I've been on the lookout for a rug that would tie everything together.

I really appreciate all of the comments about the house too! We fell in love with all of the wood. It certainly has its share of dings and scratches, but I'll be fixing those slowly as the years go on.

Last edited by Cotton_Balls; 01-27-2017 at 04:05 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 06:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,819,422 times
I think you are moving in the right direction.

I would do consider this though:

Don't put a bookshelf in the living room, or at least not a tall one.

Try the table in the dining room going the other way - long ways in front of the window, still centered. Move the console (great idea by the way moving it into the DR) on the wall across from the entry way into the dining room, visible from the living room, with some fabulous art over it. It seems like you have some really great artwork.

Center the sofa with the window. Put a cool standing lamp in the corner (instead of that bookcase). Now you have room for TWO chairs in the living room.

Put the TV on a swivel thingie so you can swivel it when you're sitting on the sofa.

I think your coffee table is way too big. Get a smaller one. One with a glass top would be even better because it would disappear more. Or you could get a cocktail ottoman and increase your seating options when you have company (also great to prop your feet up on when you're watching TV and you can put a tray on it for stuff you want to sit on it).

Put a low bookshelf under the TV instead of a taller one elsewhere.

Whaddya think?

Old 01-29-2017, 03:32 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,724,248 times
Sounds like you have a plan in place already but if you change your mind, I second the living room/dining room swap. It would solve a lot of issues and having the dining room in the front room would allow for you to have a beautiful formal entry into your home, while still being able to have a very comfortable place for the less formal sofa/TV room. It works especially well since the kitchen opens to both rooms. Best of luck on whatever plan you choose. Would love to see after pics!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating