Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:32 PM

275 posts, read 1,542,993 times

Advertisements

For those of you that have color in your house, did you pick one color theme to run through your house (I'm not talking about the rooms that have a doors) or did you mix it up a bit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 01:16 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,407,244 times
I decided I want some color for a change... the living/dining area is a terra cotta/coral type color. The guest room will be a creamy yellowish color.... the office downstairs is going to be a warm green and upstairs we have a milk chocolate color bedroom and I think I will paint my "project room" orange - yes ORANGE, LOL - I am going to hang several large black and white photographs and will have light colored curtains to tone it down a bit! Not sure yet how we will paint the hallway.... love having the color after having neutrals my whole life! We have light colored pine floors in the entire house.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:22 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,666,903 times
I usually like to have different colors in different rooms. Since we're planning on selling our current house in the near future, I decided to stick to a neutral color for most rooms. I did paint my kid's rooms the colors of their choosing, and also painted one accent wall in the living room a more vibrant color. The next house we buy will be our forever home, so I will definitely mix it up a bit.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:23 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,666,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I decided I want some color for a change... the living/dining area is a terra cotta/coral type color. The guest room will be a creamy yellowish color.... the office downstairs is going to be a warm green and upstairs we have a milk chocolate color bedroom and I think I will paint my "project room" orange - yes ORANGE, LOL - I am going to hang several large black and white photographs and will have light colored curtains to tone it down a bit! Not sure yet how we will paint the hallway.... love having the color after having neutrals my whole life! We have light colored pine floors in the entire house.
Sounds very nice! Good color choices!

Old 03-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Default Love it

Quote:
I love the terra cotta/coral color. We were actually thinking about using that same color in our living/dining room. That milk chocolate sounds interesting too. I'm taking notes here. LOL. Now the orange.....but I get it, it's a project room. If I had my own seperate room for my scrapbooking, I would have done purple. However, I have to share that space with the downstairs office so I can go crazy as it's the first room to right of the foyer AND it has french doors.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:29 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,235,647 times
No. I like light and subtle wall colors that keep the ambiance of the room airy and open. Dark colors usually look pretty awful to my eye. If I want color, I stick to curtains, wall hangings, rugs and furniture.

I've been perusing the realty pages lately and those houses where the rooms are painted in bold colors look really small and cave-like compared to the houses with light colored rooms.

I would gag at the orange room. Awful color that makes everyone in it look orange too by the reflected light. Sorry, but lots of people don't like that stuff.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:49 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,597,997 times
Quote:
and upstairs we have a milk chocolate color bedroom
Do you know what brand paint & color you used? How did it turn out? That's one of the colors I'm considering painting my master bedroom.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:50 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,658,437 times
I am an artist, so I like the unusual, the eclectic, that blends and alters perceptions. The living room is a pale mauve, with forest green and rich chocolate accents (the red in the chocolate is brought out by the mauve!). The dining room and kitchen are stark glossy white, but I painted wandering vines, with leaves and tiny blue flowers, arching all around the doorways and pantry. The office is wood paneled and all of the desks are wood grained, which gives it a feeling of warmth and solidity. My bedroom is done in a soft shade of lavender with blue trim, and lavender and blue flowers with forest green vines at the tops of the walls. The bathroom I recently redid; I made my own tiled picture with a dolphin leaping out of water, the surrounding tile looks like multicolored blue and green bubbles. I used the sanded grout for the floor and wall tile; the floor tile is an unpolished sand color, and I put seashells in the grout around the edges of the tub. All accents are soft sea greens and blues. Very "beachy"!The whole house is restful and peaceful; a cave of soft colors and various interests, hues, and welcoming tiny surprises.

I love color. Grin. I will be buying a house this year, and cannot wait to instill my own designs again!

Old 03-02-2008, 03:55 PM

Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Do you know what brand paint & color you used? How did it turn out? That's one of the colors I'm considering painting my master bedroom.
Me too. I saw a model that had chocolate brown and some kind of blue. I know...it sounds terrible but it really looked nice. I was surprised. I would never put those colors together.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:19 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,290,952 times
I have different colors in each room, but make sure they tie together. For example, my dining room is red, my kitchen is a light caramel, and my family room is one shade darker than the caramel in the kitchen. Bedrooms are the only exceptions for me in terms of not having to tie things together to other rooms...my daughter has a purple room, my son a tan and blue room, ours is white (for the moment...will be painting it green or tan or blue or SOMETHING) and our spare room will be a light green with cream.
Do what you like and follow your instincts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating