Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 05:36 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times

Advertisements

That's a good idea to ask the sellers to take down their wallpaper
That should be the number one thing realtors tell sellers to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 05:46 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
No brass, no wallpaper here. A few quilts but they are in use.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I love quilts on other people's beds. I will never wallpaper another wall as long as I live. And I like old brass just fine. I'm not as enthused about the shiny gold stuff, but if you like it, that is fine with me. I am keeping our nice brass door fixtures. But I am happily getting rid of the shiny stuff in our bath.

Our bath is nearing completion. Very exciting.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I love quilts on other people's beds. I will never wallpaper another wall as long as I live. And I like old brass just fine. I'm not as enthused about the shiny gold stuff, but if you like it, that is fine with me. I am keeping our nice brass door fixtures. But I am happily getting rid of the shiny stuff in our bath.

Our bath is nearing completion. Very exciting.
Oh I'm getting rid of the shiny gold bathroom stuff too - but our bath remodel has just begun - HELL ON EARTH. I am looking forward to seeing your completed project!

Old 02-02-2017, 04:33 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This was a lot less expensive than replacing the light fixture, and I was really pleased with the result. This literally took about $80 and about 30 minutes!

I am glad we kept the brass. Our house is very, very traditional Low Country style and the brass fits it well.
TOO funny. My dining room fixture looks identical in brushed brass and my master bath has a very similar one with nickel.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:27 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I bought a whole house full of brass fixtures off of Craigslist for $50... lighting, cabinet pulls, doorknobs, ceiling fans, etc.. The owners were selling the house (which was built in '94) and thought updating the fixtures would help it sell faster. I'm putting every bit of it into a house I'm remodeling to use as rental property.

Brass has never really bothered me, nor does the honey oak so many people seem to hate nowadays. The worst styling trend I remember from the 80s/90s was that awful mauve color.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:37 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times
If it is brass and it is in my house it gets kicked to the curb! None of that hidious wall paper either. Thank god none of that was in my house requiring removal!

Old 02-04-2017, 02:26 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Rarely does something come back "in style" the way it was when it was "in style". I definitely have seen gold-tone and brass fixtures coming back (and even in jewelry, after years of silver, white gold and platinum), but they are not the old "Baldwin Brass" type look. Kathryn, is that the same chandelier in the before & after pics? If so, that is a great example of what I'm talking about.

As for wallpaper, maybe designers were using it, but most regular people totally stopped back in the 90's -- in fact, it was the same time that sponge- and texture-painting came in style. I had a friend who had a very successful business selling wallpaper, carpet, accessories, but eventually the business went under. She said the main reason was that wallpaper went out of style.

It's definitely back in, but not at all like the florals of the 80's. Most are bold prints and I think they look really fresh and new....however, the thought of paper still haunts me....I did every single room in my mid-80's house....feel sorry for the lady that bought it from me in '93.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Rarely does something come back "in style" the way it was when it was "in style". I definitely have seen gold-tone and brass fixtures coming back (and even in jewelry, after years of silver, white gold and platinum), but they are not the old "Baldwin Brass" type look. Kathryn, is that the same chandelier in the before & after pics? If so, that is a great example of what I'm talking about.

As for wallpaper, maybe designers were using it, but most regular people totally stopped back in the 90's -- in fact, it was the same time that sponge- and texture-painting came in style. I had a friend who had a very successful business selling wallpaper, carpet, accessories, but eventually the business went under. She said the main reason was that wallpaper went out of style.

It's definitely back in, but not at all like the florals of the 80's. Most are bold prints and I think they look really fresh and new....however, the thought of paper still haunts me....I did every single room in my mid-80's house....feel sorry for the lady that bought it from me in '93.
Yes, it's the same chandelier. I wanted to give it a fresh look without spending $1200 to replace it. The brass accents look good in this house - they fit this house if that makes sense, and so "in style" or not didn't bother me, but I did want a fresh look. It's the only fixture in the house that was overwhelmingly brass - well, that one and the candle sconces going up the stairs, which I also put matching shades on (with ribbon and trim - I love pimping out lamp shades!).

And as for fresh styles - keep in mind, folks, that the florals and medallions and ivy of the 1990s looked fresh and new at the time. Oh my gosh, I remember wallpapering an entire kitchen in that ivy...and don't even get me started on the bathrooms!

I just can't think about doing wallpaper again.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:21 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh I'm getting rid of the shiny gold bathroom stuff too - but our bath remodel has just begun - HELL ON EARTH. I am looking forward to seeing your completed project!
It almost done. They are finishing the grouting of the backsplash today. We get to take our first shower in our the new shower enclosure tonight, and I am looking forward to it!

I did take some pics, Unfortunately it is hard to get good photos of the shower. It is such a tight space. But I hope to figure out how to post some pics very soon. I am excited to share it.

We are thrilled about this project. Beyond thrilled, actually.

But remember, we did not redo the entire bath. Only the counters of our two vanities, and our shower enclosure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating