Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:32 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Right. I guess I didn't phrase my question very well. We're upgrading the bathrooms because they need it, with an eye to resale down the road, and we've been told by various sources that double sinks are preferred.
Phrase it however you like- the point is (and you pointed it out yourself in your OP) this is the bath for the living areas of the house; and nobody wants their "master bath" to be the "guest powder room" ALSO.

I also consider "updating" about 5 tiers below "remodeling"- and adding code approved rough plumbing for a double vanity is NOT "updating"- along with all the other "upgrades" that would be required from the AHJ.

So, keep it to paint and new hardware/fixtures and call it a day-

The only way I would sway from this would be a RE agent who has multiple years of sales in the immediate area and sees comp's that have that "proposed" change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 09:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
We have a Cape Cod design house. Upstairs is what is apparently considered the master bedroom---a large bedroom with a walk-in closet and a smaller bedroom. There is one bathroom and it is small.

Downstairs is the bedroom that we use as our master bedroom and one large bathroom. So technically, this is the master bathroom, but it is shared with day visitors.

We will be selling within the next 5-8 years and are being told that we should install double sinks in the "master bath" for re-sale value.

Since this is not really a typical master bathroom, and new owners may not opt to use the downstairs bedroom as their master, I'm not sure what to do about the sinks. I have no strong feelings one way or the other although I have never felt the need for a double sink arrangement as we've never been in a situation where my husband and I are getting ready for work at the same time. I want privacy when I'm in the bathroom even if I'm just brushing my teeth.

Would appreciate some input on which sink arrangement to go with. The area is 87 inches wide so plenty of room.
I don't think this advice is worth much. But if you are concerned about resale down the road, it would not hurt to find an experienced realtor to consult with you about what to have done before you ultimately do list the house. You can ask about the two sinks advice then.

I think having a realtor who sells homes in your area explain what turns off sales, and what improvements help sales would be valuable to you.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:25 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Leave it alone. The new owners can do what they like. Whatever you do is going to be criticized by someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating