Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 07:52 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,657,809 times

Advertisements

Seems with the open concepts people are opting out of formal dining rooms, which in a way is good because if the kitchen has room for a table the dining room is seldom used. One thing I notice on remodeling shows is even with dining rooms China cabinets are not in style anymore. Sometimes a smaller cabinet called a buffet is used.

Also as far as bedroom furniture goes some remodeling shows are using less bedroom furniture. I don't know if it's a new style to make the room look bigger but some are just going with a bed and 2 nightstands or maybe it's to make the room less cluttered and cleaner looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 12:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,981,591 times
I'd hate to not have a dresser in my bedroom! What I noticed when we bought new bedroom furniture in 2012 was that the furniture was scaled smaller than my old stuff from the early 1970s. At least the dresser was much smaller. I don't know if you can buy a triple dresser any more!

China Cabinets & Curios Furniture :: Drexel Heritage Furniture

Dining room buffets | Canadel

Dining storage - Cabinets & Display cabinets - IKEA

Apparently these are being offered at several levels of pricing. It might be that remodeling shows are choosing less expensive pieces to hold costs down. (My guess)

And, the buffets you are seeing are often a lower units that can accommodate upper units to make themselves into china cabinets. My cabinet is made up of a lower unit which might be a buffet by itself, + an upper unit for dish display and storage.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:29 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,066,460 times
Since this is based more on design blogs, websites, tv shows, etc., it's perhaps a little more aspirational than complete reality but with that said, I think that people want bigger closets with well designed storage systems so less need for bedroom furniture storage pieces. I have one dresser in my bedroom, as much for the surface to put a tv on, plus some other bits and pieces, as for the storage. I also have a dressing (vanity) table in my bedroom because that's my preference and I have small nook that would otherwise go unused but that's something one could easily do with out. And two nightstands. It's not a very large bedroom for a master, so I'm glad that I've got enough closet space to provide the necessary storage rather than trying to take up anymore floor space with furniture.

As for dining rooms, I have a dedicated dining space in my open floor plan, large enough to put in the leaves on my table and comfortably seat 10-12. And I have a buffet but not a china cabinet. I personally don't love china cabinets, they look dated to me, and I prefer to hang something decorative on the wall above the buffet rather than take up that space with more cabinetry. I do have enough wall space in the dining area that I could have put in a second piece of furniture, but I prefer a more open feel to the room, not as if I'm hemmed in by furniture.

Edited to add my beautiful art deco buffet
Attached Thumbnails
Are furniture styles changing?-1098086801_b247b2a62a_z.jpg  

Last edited by emm74; 02-16-2017 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: added photo

Old 02-16-2017, 01:09 PM

17,432 posts, read 65,668,405 times
The question is "Are furniture styles changing?"

Well, yes of course. They are constantly changing, how do you think they stay in business?

But your post seemed to concentrate on home design. To say that home design drives furniture design would be somewhat correct- at least with "new" housing stock. But there is still 100's of thousands of older more traditional homes that work with more traditional furniture (as in function, not design).

Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,337,023 times
I agree that these trends are at an intersection of aspiration and reality. There are still many people with china cabinets but these people tend to come from a different generation or live in more traditional regions of the country. Many people still have dressers because they do not have the walk-in closet space or cannot afford custom closets.

In general, thoughtful inclusion of furniture translates to a more focused style. Just as fewer words make a bigger impact in writing, fewer furniture pieces make a stronger statement in style. Editing is key. Some people can do maximalism well but it is a minority. Even then, maximalists create texture out of decor rather furniture pieces. For the bedroom, I like to see one, at most two dressers in a bedroom. As for china cabinets, pass for me.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:57 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,476,239 times
I love my china cabinet.
Where else would I display my wedding china?

Old 02-16-2017, 05:05 PM

26,645 posts, read 28,492,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I love my china cabinet.
Me too. But they're not in style now. Anyway, people don't want wedding china or silver anymore.

I still enjoy looking at mine and using it.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:39 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,657,809 times
Quote:
I love my china cabinet.
Send it to China

Old 02-16-2017, 08:09 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,327,593 times
Quote:
I love my china cabinet.
I love my china cabinet, too. I use it to display my silver serving pieces. Don't use them often, but the bling looks pretty.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:38 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,388,195 times
I don't have a china cabinet but I have a big curio cabinet that I have my grandmother's, and my mother in law's complete sets of china stored there - some of it arranged pleasantly. One set (MILs) is still highly collectible and commands decent prices. The other set is extra special to me because my grandmother collected it over a period of several years, with coupons she got, while she lived in New Orleans, where I was born. The pattern has fleur de lis on it, and the years (1930s) are stamped on the bottom.

I love using that old china - I'm glad that they are both very different styles because my MIL's is great for winter and my grandmother's is great for spring and summer and birthdays.

I don't care whether china or china cabinets are "in or out" of style. I love these old dishes and all the memories of love and family that they hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating