Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:52 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

Gaf Materials Cement Siding Pro12 Striated 2221000WG at EssenntialHardware.com

This is what I have except mine is the old version that contains asbestos. Looks very similar to the Hardi plank. And I can assure you that cement boards can and do break very easily.

I am not understanding your dislike of vinyl siding. It is very common here and used on very expensive houses.

This house is currently $2.2 million and has vinyl siding.
Hardi Plank is more durable than Vinyl siding.

Vinyl siding will melt in a fire, while Hardi Plank is fire-proof. Vinyl is easily damaged by hail and wind, while Hardi Plank is resistant to hail and wind. Vinyl can't ever be painted and the color eventually fades, while Hardi Plank is meant to be painted every 5 to 10 years.

The only caveat is that Hardi Plank needs to be installed by an experienced installer who knows what they are doing.

I can't fathom a $2.2 million dollar house with vinyl siding, when Hardi Plank is considered to be the better quality siding. I've never seen an expensive house with vinyl siding, as it's a budget option. Why would someone spend millions building a house, only to put something less durable on it?

I've lived in a house with Hardi Plank siding and once it's installed, that stuff is as hard as a rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 11:29 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Hardi Plank is more durable than Vinyl siding.

Vinyl siding will melt in a fire, while Hardi Plank is fire-proof. Vinyl is easily damaged by hail and wind, while Hardi Plank is resistant to hail and wind. Vinyl can't ever be painted and the color eventually fades, while Hardi Plank is meant to be painted every 5 to 10 years.

The only caveat is that Hardi Plank needs to be installed by an experienced installer who knows what they are doing.

I can't fathom a $2.2 million dollar house with vinyl siding, when Hardi Plank is considered to be the better quality siding. I've never seen an expensive house with vinyl siding, as it's a budget option. Why would someone spend millions building a house, only to put something less durable on it?

I've lived in a house with Hardi Plank siding and once it's installed, that stuff is as hard as a rock.
Maybe it is just more common in your area. I hate the siding I have now, which is very much like the older version of what you are describing. No one uses that type of siding in this area.

Here is a brand new construction house. I love these colors.

Exterior Color Suggestions-love-one.jpg

Old 02-24-2017, 11:29 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Might consider something like a blood red trim, black columns, red front door, and golden beige for the siding. I'd suggest due to the trees and mold that will be growing on the roofing turning it dark, that you start out with a dark color, maybe a weathered grey shingle. Here's GAFs weathered grey but most companies make a similar color, some darker.

In regards to the Hardi-plank. Hardi is far from being the first or only maker of a cementious siding. We sold one back in the 60's made by Gold Bond called Permaboard. It suffered from the same issues that Hardi does. If it gets wet before it's applied and painted, it can leave you with a mess. It's far from being tough but for most folks it works. Any flying debris from a lawn mower can easily damage it. Vinyl siding is easily damaged and despite the warranties, it will fade and in your environment, it will grow mold. Because vinyl is put up loose due to expansion and contraction, it will rattle in any kind of wind. Vinyl would be my last choice for your house. Note: neither are weather proof but a cosmetic siding. Neither will turn rain. You must apply a drain plane under it first.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:32 AM

Good tip on the roof. I was leaning towards a dark color. When I first bought the house, the dog and I spent lots of evenings sitting on the roof picking moss. The roof looked like an English thatched roof.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I can't post pics from my phone, but googling "stone front house" is more what I had in mind.

283 N Maple Glade, Spring, TX 77382 - HAR.com
I just would not combine stone and vinyl. I suppose it is done, but I would not do it.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Steel Blue.

Or Burgundy. No one paints their house Burgundy, but it is my favorite color.

They make programs where you take a photograph of your house, then designate colors for given areas and it shows you what it will look like. Some will allow you to put in other finishes like fake brick or stone.

Notwithstanding my love for Burgundy and belief that steel blue is a great color for houses, I think you should pick a color that you like rather than a color that i like.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Steel Blue.

Or Burgundy. No one paints their house Burgundy, but it is my favorite color.

They make programs where you take a photograph of your house, then designate colors for given areas and it shows you what it will look like. Some will allow you to put in other finishes like fake brick or stone.

Notwithstanding my love for Burgundy and belief that steel blue is a great color for houses, I think you should pick a color that you like rather than a color that i like.
I looked online for something that did that but could not find anything.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:48 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
I always find the expresso color to be chic and neat. I found some great housestuff in the Bay area with great expresso colored shingle

Same color and material for the entire house rather than mixing brick and vinyl maybe be better looking.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:31 AM

I know that all siding will look ridiculous as the few neighborhood houses that are only siding, look like a giant wall of siding. I do like the contrast between the current siding and the fake brick.

https://www.opalenterprises.net/bold...spresso-siding

This house looks very cheap even with the new siding.

I really wish I could find a working online simulator. Who would have thought this is such a difficult decision. And I had thought finding contractors was an issue, picking colors is also a challenge.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:54 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
The only way a house done in all-siding can look like a wall of siding, is if the architecture is two-story and flat . . . like the photos you just linked to.

Thank your lucky stars that your house does not have that boring architecture. Your facade is broken up with a roof line and garage doors, so you will not get that "wall of siding" look.

All-siding will make the middle two-story part of your house look more vertical in contrast to the lower horizontal wings on each side, because it will relate the top and bottom together.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating