Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 01:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think perhaps they are trending that way, at least a little. The houseboat was very modern, and they did the mid mod house. My feeling is, they can do shabby chic all day long, as long as they keep doing high quality work at a cost that middle America can afford.
Oh they can have at it, but frankly I've never gone for their style (or shabby chic in general) though I think they are a cute and smart couple. I wish them all the success they so well deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 01:23 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Which just shows you, you like what you like. I never paid attention to trends. If people share my aesthetic, great, but if not, I'm not about to re-do my house.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:27 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh they can have at it, but frankly I've never gone for their style (or shabby chic in general) though I think they are a cute and smart couple. I wish them all the success they so well deserve.
Yes, I agree. I like a little bit of crummy mixed in to my decor....patina, I mean. But not a bunch of fake old stuff.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:49 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I think that "timeless" depends on your definition of timeless. If you think it means that everyone has to love and want it, then nothing is timeless. If you mean something that may not be the most popular thing going at any given time, but a critical mass of people still like it, then I think there is plenty that fits. These have all been around for decades, even centuries, and while they may wax and wane in popularity, there are still always people who choose them

A few examples

marble counters
subway tile backsplash and bathrooms
hardwood flooring (color, plank width, etc. might vary, but people are still going to want hardwood)
lots of windows and natural light
white cabinetry
nice landscaping

Old 05-08-2017, 02:13 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree. While they can be a good solution when there is no room for a door swing, I think they are being over used.
If someone could come up with an elegant solution for this concept, for folks whose homes aren't rustic, they might have a winner.
Pocket doors solve this problem, but they have to be built in when a home is built....Extremely expensive to add later. These go back to at least the Victorian Era!

Old 05-08-2017, 02:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think that "timeless" depends on your definition of timeless. If you think it means that everyone has to love and want it, then nothing is timeless. If you mean something that may not be the most popular thing going at any given time, but a critical mass of people still like it, then I think there is plenty that fits. These have all been around for decades, even centuries, and while they may wax and wane in popularity, there are still always people who choose them

A few examples

marble counters
subway tile backsplash and bathrooms
hardwood flooring (color, plank width, etc. might vary, but people are still going to want hardwood)
lots of windows and natural light
white cabinetry
nice landscaping
Add butcher block counters....still popular - not as popular as granite. They seem more popular in old houses where they make since given the time period the house was built. I frequently see them in butler's pantries and pantries in new houses. Ikea even sells butcher's block counters.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:00 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Add butcher block counters....still popular - not as popular as granite. They seem more popular in old houses where they make since given the time period the house was built. I frequently see them in butler's pantries and pantries in new houses. Ikea even sells butcher's block counters.
yep, butcher block is a good addition to that list! My mom has a really nice butcher block rolling island, I think those may be even more popular than counters. And interestingly, you can find them in both a very traditional style and a very modern style!

Old 05-08-2017, 04:09 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Hardwood is a good example
Yes timeless, in a sense
But now the "in" colors keep changing
The size of the plank
Even the type of wood
Of course you can always redo good hardwood, but that is not a small task

White cabinets were out for a long time. 20 years probably. And even now, you can tell the ones that are "in" and the ones that are 20 years old+ or have a coat of white paint slapped on them. And as soon as every kitchen in America has them they will be out again

Nothing is timeless anymore. Just decorate the best you can with things and finishes that make you happy

Old 05-08-2017, 08:13 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Gray comes around every 20 years or so.

White kitchens are always timeless although some hate them and some love them.

Granite is a natural and as such will always be timeless imo

Wood floor are also timeless.

The more medium the tone, the more timeless imo.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:04 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Hardwood is a good example
Yes timeless, in a sense
But now the "in" colors keep changing
The size of the plank
Even the type of wood
I don't know; we pulled up carpet in a home built in the 1950s to find hardwood floors. Simply had them sanded. They looked gorgeous for YEARS (and probably still do; sold that house a few years ago).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating