Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 05:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Not sure if it was on this thread or not, but I explained about double sinks before. It's NOT about 2 people standing side by side using their sinks at the same time although some people may do that. It's more about each person having their own space with their own belongings rather than having everything mixed together.

It's the same as having separate closets/halves of closets and separate drawers in a dresser. You don't have to get dressed at the exact same time as your partner in order to appreciate having your clothes kept separate rather than all jumbled together.
Yes.

You group your stuff around your sink, for your convenience. I've had double sinks and single sinks, and I'd prefer two sinks please. But two vanities--that's the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 06:13 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Well I've been happily married 14 years and I still prefer to have privacy when I'm in the bathroom. There are a bunch of womanly things in a bathroom that I prefer to do ALONE. If that is indicative of a marital problem then whatever.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:35 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well I've been happily married 14 years and I still prefer to have privacy when I'm in the bathroom. There are a bunch of womanly things in a bathroom that I prefer to do ALONE. If that is indicative of a marital problem then whatever.

agreed, your not doing anything bad, wrong, or to be ashamed, you just want to be alone.
I totally get it, and especially in this day and age, to get 10 minutes alone, OMG, sheer heaven

to sit on the bowl (not to be vulgar) and daydream, would you really want someone standing at the sink brushing teeth, I would think not.... I know I don't.....

I have 3 sons, (all grown now) and no your not coming in while Papa is shaving..wait your turn....

Old 08-09-2017, 10:55 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Another trend I've been wondering about is "faux aging" on things like rugs. Check out this example--it's a brand new rug, but looks like something ready to be sent to Goodwill (IMO). It's ok looking as styles go, I guess, but I wouldn't buy it. A little bit of antiquing is ok but this is ridiculous. Then again, I'm not a style setter so what do I know. Kinda hoping this trend passes quickly.

Looking for the silver lining, if you buy something like this you never having to worry about it fading or looking worn out as time passes.

https://www.wayfair.com/Mistana-Bran...-MTNA1820.html

Old 08-09-2017, 11:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Currently, my husband's big gripe is "mirrors on fake pulleys." And they do seem to be everywhere, like the sliding barn doors of a few years ago. Every time he sees one he hollers, "There's another one - that's the stupidest looking thing I ever saw!"

While I agree that it's silly looking, I've seen worse!

Old 08-09-2017, 11:05 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Currently, my husband's big gripe is "mirrors on fake pulleys." And they do seem to be everywhere, like the sliding barn doors of a few years ago. Every time he sees one he hollers, "There's another one - that's the stupidest looking thing I ever saw!"

I've seen a few of those. Your husband is absolutely right, stupidest trend ever!

Old 08-09-2017, 01:22 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

A few years ago? I looked at some new model homes yesterday, new, as in, only open a week, and they had those barn doors.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
A few years ago? I looked at some new model homes yesterday, new, as in, only open a week, and they had those barn doors.
Yes, well the trend started a few years ago. It's already peaked and waned here along with vessel sinks.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:20 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times
And 3 months ago when we were presented with a sketch/CAD of the proposed master bath our designer worked up from our conversation, there's a barn door replacing our original pocketdoor. No way! A barn door in a traditional center hall colonial house??? Almost dumped that firm right there.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:39 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Just for fun...

How long do you think some of these current trends will last?

Open Concept

Grey paint in every room

Very dark hardwood floors

Firepits

Granite (or has this one been around long enough now that it really isn't a trend anymore?)

What are some trends from the past that now seem funny, and how long did they last?
I don't think open concept is a trend. I live in a '70s house with a semi-open concept, so this type of residential architecture has longevity, which indicates to me that it's here to stay.

Grey paint in every room is a trend, and I think it will be on its way shortly.

Very dark hardwood floors may or may not be a trend. Hardwood in any form has had pretty stable demand for many years.

I haven't given much thought to firepits. I think it's more a regional thing. I have a firepit, but it's portable and inexpensive, because we are often under fire bans. It's not something I would spend a lot of money on.

Granite is probably here to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes.

You group your stuff around your sink, for your convenience. I've had double sinks and single sinks, and I'd prefer two sinks please. But two vanities--that's the best!
I guess we must be very low maintenance people, because I've never felt the need for more than one sink, and the only thing that sits on the counter is soap. There are two small drawers in the vanity. One holds my hair brush, toothbrush & floss. The other holds my husband's toothbrush & a shared tube of toothpaste. In the medicine cabinet, you'll find his deodorant, a bottle of facial lotion, my medicine, a cup holding a few make-up brushes and a set of tweezers. Underneath the sink, you'll find a rarely used hair dryer (my hair is short and quick-drying) and my make-up bag.

That's it. What are you all keeping in your bathrooms that takes up so much space?

Last edited by randomparent; 08-09-2017 at 07:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating