Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Oh, yeah....

But, at one time, granite and SS were out of reach for us hoi polloi. That is one reason they became coveted finishes.
So, maybe one day we can all have glass and high gloss lacquer, and the fashion cognoscenti will need to find another unaffordable finish to stand apart?
Platinum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 03:10 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Just for fun...

How long do you think some of these current trends will last?

Open Concept

Grey paint in every room

Very dark hardwood floors

Firepits

Granite (or has this one been around long enough now that it really isn't a trend anymore?)

What are some trends from the past that now seem funny, and how long did they last?
Open concept will always be popular- Bought a 30 year old ranch and opened up the kitchen and love it.

Grey paint was all over the house when we bought it and quickly painted over.

Never did like dark hardwood floors. Went with lighter color.

Put granite in the kitchen a few months ago and love it.

I prefer traditional look and earth tone colors.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:28 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I was wondering about this when someone started a thread about people taking doors off of closets. Does this mean hanging beads are back?

I loved the homes in the 70s that had atriums built in the middle. Groovy!
Best designed home I've been through was one built around a courtyard.

You walk into the entry way, face the family/great room, courtyard on farther past that.

To the right is the dining room, kitchen & breakfast are to the right of the family/great room, master bedroom past that overlooking the courtyard.

To the left was the living room/parlor, then a hallway along the left side of the family room and courtyard with a couple more bedrooms and bathroom, office at the end overlooking courtyard.

I've looked for house plans for this forever and never found anything even close.

Great layout for privacy as well as entertaining.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I'm thinking stainless appliances have had their run.
I hope so. They are too hard to keep clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What to replace them with?
Gray?
My favorite is the wrinkled black finish. It is almost impossible to find these days. Doesn't show dirt. Easy to keep looking clean.

There is a "black stainless" finish now. But the guy at Best Buy said it scratches easy and they get a lot of returns, so I imagine they will be gone before long.

I like black appliances. Easy to keep looking nice and I think they look good paired with medium stained wood cabinets and floors. Which I also like because, you guessed it, easy to keep looking clean.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:43 PM

Love granite. Love the movement, swirls of color. Not a big fan of the speckled granite, quartz, or marble. Have seen some gorgeous onyx that I would love to have in a bathroom.

Granite is easy to clean. The once-a-year sealing is no big deal. Looks beautiful for years. Thus, I think granite will be around for a while.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:09 PM

630 posts, read 657,073 times
LOL
People have been asking these exact same questions for many many years, if X will be a fad.. and 20 years later,, X is still popular.

with granite what you can see is that the premium high end selections used in the mid 90s are so overused and their price is so low, that you can see them in bathrooms in airports and low cost hotel chains.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:53 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
Who can't forget the color Navaho White ? It used to be everywhere !
Fit, form, and function rule over fashion and humans have a tendency to own a lot of stuff so minimalism will never catch on with families with kids.
Most parents will tell you that if they had their way, it would be concrete floors with a drain in each room so you can take a hose to the floor at the end of the day until they're grown up and moved on.
Yes it's nice to have a magazine cover designer house but for the majority of people, it's just a dream especially now that affordability is becoming a driving factor.
I'm sure that soon, Chip and JoJo's home town of Waco Texas will become expensive given all the publicity of inexpensive housing stock available.
Why Waco, TX is a Great Place to Do Business | Livability

Old 02-26-2017, 05:55 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times
Don't think granite will ever go out of style. I know people who bought other counter tops, concrete or glass and regretted it.
Have a friend who opened a stone fab company in the 70's -still going strong.

Stainless steel, works with everything, doesn't look dated, etc. We looked at glass front fridge. Lovely but I don't keep breath taking baskets of fresh fruits and veggies, milk in old fashioned bottles, etc in mine. I don't want to see my food. Or spend time styling my food.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:46 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I'm thinking stainless appliances have had their run.
I think those will be around for awhile.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:09 PM

247 posts, read 363,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Most parents will tell you that if they had their way, it would be concrete floors with a drain in each room so you can take a hose to the floor at the end of the day until they're grown up and moved on.
You know, I think you're onto something there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating