Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 07:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,019,910 times

Advertisements

I do love a bright coral. One of my fave colors. Too bad I don't use it in my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 12:07 PM

5,117 posts, read 3,387,683 times
When we moved across the country two years ago, we purchased two large tribal-style rugs that happened to have a lot of orange and blue. That determined our colors for the home, along with brown and black leather. We wanted a different look from what we had back east.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:24 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,371,127 times
Just to shake things up a little more, one of two of the photos featured homes with orange furniture AND some avocado green thrown in too. For a REALLY mid-century modern look! I was just glad to see ANY color other than neutral white, cream, taupe, gray, which have dominated the past few years.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:46 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,322,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Just to shake things up a little more, one of two of the photos featured homes with orange furniture AND some avocado green thrown in too. For a REALLY mid-century modern look! I was just glad to see ANY color other than neutral white, cream, taupe, gray, which have dominated the past few years.

Florida does have a lot more pastel colors.

Here is one of our flip houses from about 6 years ago. It was hard to pick something to work with the roof color which was a new roof. It was called apricot. It's a little dull in the picture but it is a cheerful color and goes nicely with the blue water out back.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:20 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,540,568 times
I'm enjoying the pictures. I love orange! I also love brown, and the two together make me happy.

We have a burgundy accent wall in our living room. The rest of the walls are a deep beige. I'd really like to paint the one wall a deep orange. I would like it with our brown furniture. I haven't been able to convince the husband yet, unfortunately.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:44 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,494,634 times
I used to only like black, white and grey but now that I have a 70's house I'm starting to really like orange and, yes, avocado! If only they would bring back avocado appliances, I'd buy a new fridge.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:22 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,371,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I used to only like black, white and grey but now that I have a 70's house I'm starting to really like orange and, yes, avocado! If only they would bring back avocado appliances, I'd buy a new fridge.
Remember a few years ago when brightly-colored retro refrigerators were coming back? Rachel Ray had an aqua fridge on her set. They seem to have gone out as fast as they came in. I think bright colors are too much of a commitment in appliances that are expensive to replace if you get tired of them.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:40 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My house was orange and blue before orange and blue were cool. And it will be after they're no longer cool!
Yeah!!! Love 'em.

In about 2003 I built a small house in Cyprus with a double living room with arches, and I painted the walls orange and the ceiling blue. The room had two sets of sliding glass doors and was filled with light. I sold it and returned to Portugal a few years later, and the older couple who bought it did so at a real estate "fair" in the U.K. - without actually seeing the house, just photos.

They went nuts when they saw the blue ceilings!!!

Old 03-10-2017, 05:42 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,510,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Yeah!!! Love 'em.

In about 2003 I built a small house in Cyprus with a double living room with arches, and I painted the walls orange and the ceiling blue. The room had two sets of sliding glass doors and was filled with light. I sold it and returned to Portugal a few years later, and the older couple who bought it did so at a real estate "fair" in the U.K. - without actually seeing the house, just photos.

They went nuts when they saw the blue ceilings!!!
Oh, I love blue ceilings. Our bedroom ceiling is painted a pale blue, and so are all our outdoor porch ceilings.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:56 PM

5,535 posts, read 6,451,839 times
"Back in the day" in Michigan we painted our first house's kitchen orange and yellow, as our new appliances were "Harvest Gold" (1973). It was easy to find accessories/decor to match, as Tupperware made quite a bit of their kitchen items yellow. I began to find very cute orange and yellow chicken and hen kitchen items.

In 1976 we moved to our second home, this time in the country. We really liked our yellow and orange kitchen in the city, and by now more and more kitchen decor and necessary items were.......orange and yellow and/or chickens and hens. For the next 27 years, I had my yellow and orange kitchen, even when we updated the flooring and appliances.

In 2003, we moved to new house in Texas. By now I was tired of both orange and yellow in the kitchen, and chicken and hens for the decor. But I loved the color combination because the kitchen should be bright and sunny and happy.

We used a pretty orange with a pale yellow, BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating