Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 04:46 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

When we bought our house the guest bathroom was a dark little hole in the middle of the house that was totally black unless you turned a light on. I retrofitted a skylight, which solved the problem and turned it into a very nice room. We also installed a solar tube in the central hallway. We opened up a central wall so the living room and dining rooms get light from both sides of the house, and removed a pantry, replacing it with an additional window. We replaced the 2x2 window over the sink with a 6' bay window. Can you tell I like natural light? All the windows are low-E glass with honeycomb blinds, so the energy efficiency is excellent. The east end of the house is getting two new 5-0 windows this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I love ours and never hear the rain.

Ours is installed near the top of our stairs, so the stairwell is lit from above with natural light.
If I was going to install one, this is where it would go. It's not a high enough priority for me, but maybe some day I'll get to it.

I also think they are nice in interior bathrooms, but all 3 bathrooms (2 full, 1 powder) in my house have at least one window already.

I would personally not put one in a bedroom as I do prefer it dark to sleep, including being able to darken the room if I want to take a daytime nap.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:59 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Don't they have electronic shades you can install on skylights nowadays to keep it dark if you choose?

Old 03-03-2017, 07:00 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Ah - here's my chance to voice this opinion. I always have to bite my tongue with clients who love them.... Or think they will love them. I have tried to warn some of them... people never listen. They think they want light and airy bedrooms too... Until they realize if they are ever IN their bedroom in daytime, it is because they are trying to sleep. And then they want dark.

Hubby and I hate our skylights. We think it's unwise to cut a hole in a perfectly good roof, particularly in Western Washington. They are notorious for leaking.

They are loud when it rains. They suck the heat right out in winter, while letting in heat in the summer.

We can't wait to re-roof our house this summer and get rid of them for good.

But that's just us.
Personally, I think you have to have your head examined to put a skylight in a bedroom. Although you can certainly put shades on them (preferably cellular shades) which will help a lot.

Skylights can be sources of leaks, but that's usually an incorrectly installed unit. I usually tell people if they're having their roof replaced that they should replace the skylights at the same time. Better to do it too soon than too late.

They're definitely louder in the rain as you say and I definitely find that they let heat in during the summer and heat out during the winter. Our skylight is in our kitchen and on a hot summer day you can't sit under it. If you do, you'll feel like a hamburger under a heat lamp.

All this being said, I absolutely love a skylight in a living space like a kitchen, a family room, a bonus room, etc. I love my skylight overall and wouldn't want to get rid of it. I would however like to have someone replace the glass panel in mine with something "low E" to mitigate the heat loss/gain issue.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:08 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
My mother has two, one in the hallway and one in the kitchen. The problem being this is Florida and when it is hot, and it is almost always hot, her kitchen is very uncomfortable. She did have a leak in one of them but her house is almost 30 years old.

If I lived in a cold climate that was rainy a lot. like the PNW, I would probably want a skylight.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:41 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
We have one in the family room which is great. And one in the master bath which is also really nice. It's nice to walk in there and have all that natural light. I'm not sure I would want them anywhere else. Maybe over a staircase

Old 03-07-2017, 06:02 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
We lived from 2000 to 2006 in a house built in 1984 (so 16 to 22 years old) with three original skylights. Never had a lick of trouble except when softball sized hail broke a couple of them one time. Shortly after we bought the house I went on the roof and covered them with "solar screen" fabric which cut down the solar heating in the summer but still allowed plenty of light.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:19 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
We have two, one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. Both rooms are very small, so I like the extra light. I cringe every time we have a hailstorm though, which is a regular occurrence. So far, so good.

Sometimes I get a little paranoid, though. Our house is a single story ranch, and it would be very easy for someone to climb on the roof and peep through our skylights.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:35 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
You would hear them walking on the roof. Nearly impossible to sneak around on a roof.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:37 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You would hear them walking on the roof. Nearly impossible to sneak around on a roof.
Yeah, that's true. Not much I can do about it anyway. The skylights were here when we bought the house, and overall, I like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating