Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 01:53 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,343 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I had a recent burglary in which the burglars ripped out one of my kitchen drawers and broke one of the back tracking plates in the process (the lower bit of plastic that holds the roller bar in place got split off, so I can't just screw it back in to fix).

Ordinarily, I would consider this an easy DIY fix, but I'm really surprised at how much trouble I've had finding the right size/style replacement part. I've checked all the usual box stores, Ace, etc. and have searched far and wide online as well for the same size and design. Zilcho! No luck! This surprises me because everything in Phoenix is mass-produced. lol.

The only thing I can figure is that the tracking plates come with the entire cabinet set, but I can't even find any labeling to tell me who the manufacturer is for my cabs (which came with the house so are cheap construction-grade, no doubt).

So, I'm asking for advice on what would be a logical next step. The only things I could think of:

1) Hunting down the manufacturer and purchasing a single drawer unit? (is that even possible?)
2) Trying to do a 3-D printing...although it would have to be a mirror image, I believe. I think UPS offers this service but not sure how sophisticated it is, and whether or not it would be able to recreate my needed part. Has anyone tried this?
3) Replace the existing back tracking plate and roller with another type - but I don't think that's possible as it seems to be a very particular and measured 'just so' for these particular drawers and rollers.

I've attached a couple of photos as reference. Any advice or leads would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Advice Needed Regarding Broken Kitchen Drawer-20170307_131937.jpg   Advice Needed Regarding Broken Kitchen Drawer-20170307_132936.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 02:24 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Is the drawer itself broken? If not just pick up a pair of side mount drawer slides. They are easy to find and don't have to match the other drawers as no one will ever notice them. Take your old brackets out and install the new ones. They can be found at HD or Lowes.

Here is how to measure….look at the side mount slides.
Choosing the Right Drawer Slide / Rockler How-to

Sorry about your break in.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:29 PM

Thanks, ylisa7 for the quick response!

Fortunately, the drawer itself is just fine. This is very helpful to know- that I can just pick up a replacement pair of sliders.

Also, the link is super-helpful as well...time to measure and then take a trip to the store.

Thanks again!

Old 03-07-2017, 03:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I am so sorry about your break in! How irritating and upsetting.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:32 PM

Thanks, KathrynAragon!

I think the most irritating thing is that they stole my classical guitar. It wasn't super-expensive ($500), but still...guitarists become very attached to their instruments. Having said that, it could have been a lot worse. Other than the guitar, they broke a bathroom window, and stole a tv (24 inch") and some cheap costume jewelry. They made a mess in the house, but mostly just piles of stuff taken out of drawers and thrown on the floor. I think they were hoping that I was hiding cash or electronics or whatever. On that account, I'm sure they were very disappointed!

Old 03-08-2017, 12:21 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
You can get just the rail anchors-
Pretty sure those are Blum.

REAR MOUNTING BRACKETS FOR DRAWERS SLIDES BLUM / KV | eBay

Old 03-08-2017, 04:17 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

Good find.

Scary how many things are made of plastic.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

This is great- thanks for the tip, K'ledgeBldr!

Old 03-08-2017, 02:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Wouldn't your homeowners' insurance policy pay to have a pro fix this for you?

Old 03-08-2017, 02:56 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Wouldn't your homeowners' insurance policy pay to have a pro fix this for you?
It's highly unlikely it would be more than the deductible.

OP, sorry about the break in and glad you got some good advice that is hopefully pointing you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating