Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 09:06 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
It's the type of man whose wife wants a pink house, and he wants to make her happy.

after reading this, I just had to post this. This is Brooklyn NY's pink Brownstone. It was painted this color back in the 60's. The mans wife liked pink, (obviously) she has since passed and the Brownstone remained pink for decades.

The neighborhood is historic and land marked, but since it was pink before landmarks was started, it was "grandfathered". It was then again re painted this shade of "pepto" pink, much to the neighbors horror. According to the owner it was the wrong color.

The Brownstone was sold a few years ago for a few million dollars and has since been restored to being painted Brown. Yes, it was an eye sore, yes it was ugly, but some of us liked it and some didn't. WE would pass this house everythime we were in the Park Slop neighborhood.

here is a picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Just for Fun: What does HGTV get right... and where are they waaaay off?-pink-brownstone.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 09:35 AM

21 posts, read 14,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I love the looks of a Craftsmen house but I have never been in one.

I love my open kitchen. If I didn't have that I would never see my DH, lol. He likes the recliner and TV and I am either cooking, cleaning or sitting at the island.

I am only in the "living room" a couple of hours a day....maybe
I totally agree. I love cooking and being involved in the house goings on at the same time. I hate prepping an elaborate dinner tucked away - but I love prepping dinner. Nice to be able to do both.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:18 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I would love, love, love it if I found a house with an original pink bathroom. Yup, all pink fixtures and pink tiles too! I could settle for blue or mint green, but pink would be fabulous. I have seen pink fixtures on craigslist, but unfortunately I couldn't use them in my house at the time. Oh, a pink kitchen would be something I could live with too. Even my husband is okay with this.

Here's a fun website. Save The Pink Bathroom

This was our bathroom in our vacation home when we bought it.

It gave me a headache. This is how it looked after my SIL helped us out.

Much better in my book.

Cat

Old 03-14-2017, 10:25 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
after reading this, I just had to post this. This is Brooklyn NY's pink Brownstone. It was painted this color back in the 60's. The mans wife liked pink, (obviously) she has since passed and the Brownstone remained pink for decades.

The neighborhood is historic and land marked, but since it was pink before landmarks was started, it was "grandfathered". It was then again re painted this shade of "pepto" pink, much to the neighbors horror. According to the owner it was the wrong color.

The Brownstone was sold a few years ago for a few million dollars and has since been restored to being painted Brown. Yes, it was an eye sore, yes it was ugly, but some of us liked it and some didn't. WE would pass this house everythime we were in the Park Slop neighborhood.

here is a picture:
The first thing that comes to mind is Emergency services would have no problem finding the house. I must be getting old..

But don't get me started on brownstones. Years ago they couldn't give them away. If only I knew then what I know now I'd be rich.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:33 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
The first thing that comes to mind is Emergency services would have no problem finding the house. I must be getting old..

That's funny.

I actually do like pastel colored houses in tropical locations.

And the darker homes always remind me of northern coastal homes.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:39 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

This was our bathroom in our vacation home when we bought it.
That was just bad pink paint, rather than a 1950s bath with pink fixtures.

Yeah, yours needed to be painted.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:38 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
I stopped watching HGTV regularly. Occasionally, I'll still watch House Hunters International, or Beachfront Bargain Hunt, if I see them. I got tired of watching shows where people would walk into a perfectly normal kitchen and/or bathroom and say something like: "EWWWW! This is totally outdated, and must be completely gutted, immediately!"

Since bathrooms with colored fixtures were brought up, I'll mention my aunt and uncle's bathroom. He inherited the house before they were married, but it needed lots of work. So, he worked to remodel the house before their wedding, in the summer of 1990. Because they were young, and wanted the trendiest stuff, they installed matching burgundy vanity top, tub, and toilet, with polished brass hardware. Needless to say, all of that stuff has since been replaced.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:47 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Quote:
That's funny.

I actually do like pastel colored houses in tropical locations.

And the darker homes always remind me of northern coastal homes.

This is Yauco, Puerto Rico. Do a Google image search and you can see a whole bunch of these houses on that hillside.

Cat

Old 03-14-2017, 03:18 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:

My Dh is not like yours. He will say to me when he sees a pink house. What kind of man would live in a pink house He's my dinosaur and a truly wonderful man but draws the line at pink, lol.
One of my girlfriends told my husband he must be very secure in his masculinity when I painted our bedroom pink. I do know he likes the color. We've also had pink walls in a kitchen before, at his suggestion.

Here's something from the site I linked earlier about how pink and blue weren't always designated for girls or boys.

Quote:
Pink was not always the color for girls, Blue was not always the color for boys

Real men DO have pink bathrooms. You see, a university professor, Jo Paoletti of the University of Maryland, actually has done extensive academic research studying why the color pink today has come to be associated with girls and the color blue, with boys. Seems like the shift did not begin until the beginning of the 20th century and even then, it took until after World War II for this yet-another gender distinction to become entrenched. Before that, parents used a variety of colors for their children’s clothing and rooms. So, in the 1930s, when pink bathrooms started to appear, I surmise that pink did NOT mean girlie or effeminate — it just meant “lovely.”

The University of Utah Press will publish Jo Paoletti’s monograph, Pink and Blue: Telling the Boys from the Girls in America, in 2010. Ad: Kohler, 1954.
Pink was not always the color for girls, Blue was not always the color for boys | Save The Pink Bathrooms

Oh, I just remembered the house across the street from me way back when; it was a range with pink stucco on top and light to medium yellow brick on the bottom. And this is in Minnesota! It might sound weird, but it was a very beautiful color combination on a very nice house. Pink and yellow is my favorite color combination.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:26 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
On my goodness. My grandparents built a house in Florida in the 1950s and they had the pink bathroom. We loved that house and all the tropical gardens around it! It was such an oasis. Even the exterior was pink.

Their pink bathroom fitted the era of the house, but not in the poodle art style people think of. The fixtures were pink, but the floor tiles were pale gray and charcoal gray, which made it more sophisticated. Then there were pale pink tiles that went up to about chest level on all the walls, and above that was a silvery wallpaper with large pink flowers, green lily pads and swans. The wallpaper was perfect with all the pink and gray tiles.

I saw the house listed a few years ago, and the current owner had ripped out all that perfect tile and installed dark earthy stone instead, which does NOT fit the Old Florida style of the house at all. The house is not an earthy house. The decor had been done in pale aquas, blues and greens when my grandparents lived there. The new owner painted all the walls white and drained all the character out of the house. The charm is gone.
That house of your grandparents sounds so cool. My next door neighbors when I was a child in Chicago had a pink kitchen. Ahhh... it's their fault! Haha!!! I remember being seven and thinking how much I liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating