Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 07:20 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times

Advertisements

One more laugh about HGTV-like shows and colored bath tubs....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWoWHzq21tA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 09:28 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post

I couldn't hear it...old computer. But out of all the colors from the 50's-70's the Avocado had to be the worst. It's like a puke green or pea soup.

BTW, what did the couple say? Did they like it, lol?

Old 03-15-2017, 09:28 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times
Quote:

That was great!!! I'm glad I watched it to the end. The humor won't appeal to everyone, but I loved it.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
That was great! I'm glad I watched it to the end. The humor won't appeal to everyone, but I like it.
Sure...now I have to see if I can watch somewhere.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Sure...now I have to see if I can watch somewhere.

Got it on Chrome. Oh yeah that was funny.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Getting back to HGTV, I actually think some of the shows are ok. Fixer Upper does a few things well. But if you want to talk about a show that is a load of baloney, let us consider Property Brothers.

The plot device I hate most on that show is when they take the buyer to see homes and the first one has everything they want. They really try to sell them on the house, acting like it is a reasonable contender for them to buy.

Then, when the tour is done and the buyers want to buy it, they casually drop the bomb "But you can't because it's way over your budget."

Ooooh, I wanna smack them when they do that!

Apparently they think adding the stock line "We did this to make a point...." somehow makes it ok to do something that, well, only a jerk would do in real life.

Just once I'd like to see the buyer then sock one of them while saying "And I'm doing THIS to make a point."

Seriously, if I ever had a realtor pull that stunt I'd switch realtors so fast it would make you dizzy.
I don't like Property Brothers much. Are we to assume that the buyers have NEVER seen the show? Do they go on the show without having seen it? Sheesh. It's as if they don't even understand the basic premise.

Also, I can't stand the fake teasing and rough housing between the brothers. It's fake, and a waste of time. They seem like perfectly nice people, but they aren't naturally amusing. I have actually heard them say "cute" things that Chip Gaines said first. The difference is that Chip is naturally funny. The P Bs are not.

Remember when they did a makeover on their family farm? There was a scene of everyone sitting around a campfire, singing songs. It was a mournful, joyless bunch of people...big error in editing, for sure.

Aside from the other annoying things, they never say where the houses are located. I have no interest in seeing $600k dumps in Canada that are smaller than my garage.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:01 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Quote:

Too funny.

What drives me crazy about HGTV shows:

-Always wanting open concepts (which leads to...)
-Always wanting to take down walls.
-Always wanting stainless steel appliances.
-Always wanting "move-in" ready-meaning not wanted to even paint.

Cat

Old 03-15-2017, 12:15 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
I don't understand how they always find MAJOR problems after buying the house, especially on property brothers where they are paying market value.
Don't they get an inspection? Don't they have action against the seller? It's stuff like that that makes people scared to get a house. I'm hoping that they already know the problems but play it out for drama.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:26 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Got it on Chrome. Oh yeah that was funny.
Yay... I'm glad you got to see it ylisa!

Old 03-15-2017, 06:29 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Mostly what they get "right" is a look at what colors, surfaces, finishes and furniture are trendy in the time period the episode was filmed, which is usually at least 6 months before it airs.

You can see things now like brass fixtures slowly creeping back in. About 2 years ago, dark cabinets and dark floors were very "in" and now they are being replaced by a whole lotta white. Painted cabinets are more "in" (right now) than wood finish cabinets. That will change.

If you have never done work or had it done for you, you can sometimes get an idea of how big a job this or that remodel item is BUT everything has been sped up for the show, so the kitchen gut and remodel that looks like it took a week? That is going to be MUCH longer than that.

Even the various "Crashers" shows, where they do work in a day or a week, the off-camera part is the planning, the design, getting the permits, ordering the materials - that all generally takes even longer than the actual work, plus it is RARE that you can tell an inspector "be here today at 4:00."

Several of the "contractor" hosts are not competent craftsmen and trying to glean how to do something from them is a terrible idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating