Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG!

I love those old pink fixtures myself. I had pink and burgundy and gray tile in a 1950s bathroom one time and it was the best looking bathroom in the house. I put burgundy mattress ticking wallpaper in there (white fabric look with a burgundy mattress ticking stripe) and decorated with frogs and flamingos in there. Yes, it was over the top and yes, it looked whimsically fantastic (it was a kids' bathroom).
It must be a reaction to seeing so many interiors that all look alike. God bless that hot pink jacuzzi! something fun, something different, something that would make me feel like I was on vacation every day that I used it. I love it, hope whoever buys that house loves it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:22 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG!

I love those old pink fixtures myself. I had pink and burgundy and gray tile in a 1950s bathroom one time and it was the best looking bathroom in the house. I put burgundy mattress ticking wallpaper in there (white fabric look with a burgundy mattress ticking stripe) and decorated with frogs and flamingos in there. Yes, it was over the top and yes, it looked whimsically fantastic (it was a kids' bathroom).
My neighbors, whose house my late H and I once had a contract on, ripped out their original teal and maroon bathrooms. They were the coolest features in the house and were beautifully done. Personally I would love to have a pink bathroom, as mine is three shades of blue (two are original blue tiles, and the third is the new blue tile I had to put in the tub alcove). Pink is SO easy to decorate around and goes so well with all the pink and green tones elsewhere in my house. Oh well, if I ever redo the bathroom, I'll go for classic black and white tile instead.

As far as HGTV goes, I much prefer the DIY network. I love Restored and Stone House Revival, and even watch Nicole Curtis sometimes. At least on those programs there is some diversity in the decorating and a strong attempt at restoration with attention to renovation/upgrades at the same time. I used to like Fixer Upper, but I got tired of Chip's antics and Joanna's devotion to monochromatic decoration and shiplap.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:28 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Default Property Brothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I totally agree with this- they should stick more to renovating and less time screwing around- I actually saw one of those idiots-(have no idea which is which) jump on a kitchen countertop - all I could think of is get those dog sh!!y shoes off the kitchen counter where people make sandwiches!!
An article about them just popped up on my news feed.. gotta love those spy bots.. anyway....

Before they became famous they used to moonlight as clowns for birthday parties.

They still act like clowns but without the big red noses. That brother that does the reno's annoys the heck out of me when he goes overboard trying to be funny. The whole show, along with many HGTV reno shows just seem so scripted.

I liked the show This Old House though. At least that was informative and realistic.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
An article about them just popped up on my news feed.. gotta love those spy bots.. anyway....

Before they became famous they used to moonlight as clowns for birthday parties.

They still act like clowns but without the big red noses. That brother that does the reno's annoys the heck out of me when he goes overboard trying to be funny. The whole show, along with many HGTV reno shows just seem so scripted.

I liked the show This Old House though. At least that was informative and realistic.
This Old House is still on, on Sunday here on PBS.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:42 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times
I watch, but HGTV is entertainment, pure and simple. If you're looking for instruction on construction, real estate sales, decorating, flipping, etc. - and you're watching HGTV for that purpose, you're barking up the wrong tree. Sort of like watching the Food Network looking for the credentials to be a chef. You might become a little better cook, but that's about it.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:51 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I watch, but HGTV is entertainment, pure and simple. If you're looking for instruction on construction, real estate sales, decorating, flipping, etc. - and you're watching HGTV for that purpose, you're barking up the wrong tree. Sort of like watching the Food Network looking for the credentials to be a chef. You might become a little better cook, but that's about it.
The way I look at HGTV and The Food Network as ways to get ideas. Also, it's fun to watch something in such disrepair get a new lease on life.

One thing those shows showed me was that no matter how bad the condition of the house, it can be fixed. Yes, definitely at a cost but it can be done.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:18 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post

On the subject of pink bath tubs, look what I found in my listings!

It's not just a pink bathtub, it's a big honkin' hot pink jacuzzi! Woo hoo! Oh, the pink bathtub gods are being good to me!!!

I love it, absolutely love it. I can see putting tropical art on the walls, and a parade of pink flamingos march around the tub. Hey, if you're going to have a hot pink jacuzzi you've gotta go full blast with it, right?
It's weird that the pink jacuzzi is the only thing that's pink in the room.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Quote:
On the subject of pink bath tubs, look what I found in my listings!

It's not just a pink bathtub, it's a big honkin' hot pink jacuzzi! Woo hoo! Oh, the pink bathtub gods are being good to me!!!

I love it, absolutely love it. I can see putting tropical art on the walls, and a parade of pink flamingos march around the tub. Hey, if you're going to have a hot pink jacuzzi you've gotta go full blast with it, right?

Unfortunately, after toying with the thought for an hour or two I had to face reality that we're looking for a one story house. Rats!

Also, my husband told me that while he might indulge my pink bathtub whimsy, there was no way he would tolerate living on a street named "Westward Ho!"

Double rats! When am I ever likely to see a giant hot pink jacuzzi again?

https://www.trulia.com/property/3246...sburg-VA-23188

(the jacuzzi is around slide #10)

When I hear the name "Westward Ho!", I think of the very first time I went to Las Vegas. I stayed at the Westward Ho! hotel. I heard they closed in 2005.

Cat

Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This week, I actually saw a couple on House Hunters looking at a house with carpet. NOBODY said they had to rip out the carpet and install "hardwood floors". That's a first.

I've said this before, but does anyone really say, "hardwood floors"? Don't people just say "wood floors"?
Yes, I say hardwood floors and everyone I know does too, from my childhood to now. There are other kinds of wood floors besides hardwood floors. I have lived in older houses with pine floors and fir floors which are not hardwood but softwood.

Examples of hardwood trees include alder, balsa, beech, hickory, mahogany, maple, oak, teak, and walnut.

Examples of softwood trees are cedar, Douglas fir, juniper, pine, redwood, spruce, and yew. Most hardwoods have a higher density than most softwoods.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:38 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
That bothers me all the time. As much as I like the Gaines', I cringe whenever he climbs trees, jumps on things, or plays around with items in a house or in a store. If a branch breaks and he gets hurt while clowning around climbing a tree, will he sue?

And when the realtors showing houses on various shows encourage people to climb into bath tubs or lay on a bed, I want to throw up. Especially when they keep their shoes on! I know some people do such things but shame on HGTV for encouraging it.
So, Chip is about 42 now. He needs to pull back on the physical stuff because, as some of us who are older know, joints break down, and they are not easily fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating