Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 06:11 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times

Advertisements

I hate the new busy gray/white variegated floors being used now. There are a few very nicely renovated houses in our neighborhood, but the floors scream...fake fake new trendy.
If I'm having wood floods (which I am), they better be classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 08:11 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,120,458 times
The new Love It Or List It show did one really good thing for us--convinced my DH we're not moving to Seattle! Williamsburg seems pricey enough to us, but homes in Seattle are nuts! They just had a show with a house very similar to one we look at in WBurg that cost $400K. It cost $3.5 MILLION there. Yikes! How do people pay those prices? And then you see all the crappy construction issues. If I had paid millions for a house only to discover the weight of the house was being supported by an inadequate and tiny crumbling block of cement, I wouldn't be the good sport that the people in these shows are.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 04-14-2017 at 08:29 AM..

Old 04-14-2017, 08:23 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,541,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I hate the new busy gray/white variegated floors being used now. There are a few very nicely renovated houses in our neighborhood, but the floors scream...fake fake new trendy.
To each their own. Our floors are a traditional pecan-toned stain but I think many of the gray-toned woods are beautiful.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:36 PM

531 posts, read 453,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
925 Woodruff Place West Drive had original three-toned floors in the master bedroom: cherry (red stained), ash (white), and walnut (black). The flipper tore them out, of course.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:28 AM

5,854 posts, read 5,291,299 times
HGTV used to have handyman contests. Do they still? They also had contests where they had 4 teams renovating apartments that will be sold in the end and the one that sold for the most, won. I really enjoyed watching those shows but I don't think they do them anymore.

Cat

Old 04-17-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
925 Woodruff Place West Drive had original three-toned floors in the master bedroom: cherry (red stained), ash (white), and walnut (black). The flipper tore them out, of course.
Was this on one of the shows?

Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
HGTV used to have handyman contests. Do they still? They also had contests where they had 4 teams renovating apartments that will be sold in the end and the one that sold for the most, won. I really enjoyed watching those shows but I don't think they do them anymore.

Cat
I loved that show - Flipping the Block. And the next season they did Beach Flip, which was 4 beachfront condos. Unfortunately, they haven't done another season after those two. I also like Design Star, which they don't have any more either.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:31 AM

5,854 posts, read 5,291,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I loved that show - Flipping the Block. And the next season they did Beach Flip, which was 4 beachfront condos. Unfortunately, they haven't done another season after those two. I also like Design Star, which they don't have any more either.

Yeah, that was it, Flipping the Block & Beach Flip. They were great shows. I wish they would do something like that again.

Never did watch Design Star.

Cat

Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 AM

Some of the designers are really clueless about the needs of people with disabilities.

Saw two episodes of Love It Or List It that had me amazed HGTV would show their stars being so ignorant. Sometimes you have to wonder what they are thinking.

In one, Hilary couldn't understand why an older couple were using a formal dining room space as their master bedroom. Instead of asking about, she assumed they had no taste and gave them a design that put the master bedroom upstairs and a dining room in the DR space.

She was rather nasty about it, too. They said they needed a bedroom on the main floor because the husband had hip and knee issues, and she said, rather harshly, "I need to return your house to a functioning design and why is this the first time I'm hearing about this!"

Umm, hello? The guy can barely walk up steps and she didn't notice? She didn't think to ask why the bedroom was in the dining room? In the real world, a designer creates a "functioning design" that, guess what, functions for the owner, not one that functions for her predecided tunnel vision of how each room should function.

Right after this episode was one in which David has a client with severe visual and hearing impairment. The guy needs to be near a subway, and one of his big reasons to stay in his neighborhood is he'll need to relearn all the features of a new neighborhood. So what does he do? Take him to a house that is not near a subway and in a neighborhood that looked pretty challenging for someone with visual problems.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 AM

5,512 posts, read 9,502,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Some of the designers are really clueless about the needs of people with disabilities.

Saw two episodes of Love It Or List It that had me amazed HGTV would show their stars being so ignorant. Sometimes you have to wonder what they are thinking.

In one, Hilary couldn't understand why an older couple were using a formal dining room space as their master bedroom. Instead of asking about, she assumed they had no taste and gave them a design that put the master bedroom upstairs and a dining room in the DR space.

She was rather nasty about it, too. They said they needed a bedroom on the main floor because the husband had hip and knee issues, and she said, rather harshly, "I need to return your house to a functioning design and why is this the first time I'm hearing about this!"

Umm, hello? The guy can barely walk up steps and she didn't notice? She didn't think to ask why the bedroom was in the dining room? In the real world, a designer creates a "functioning design" that, guess what, functions for the owner, not one that functions for her predecided tunnel vision of how each room should function.

Right after this episode was one in which David has a client with severe visual and hearing impairment. The guy needs to be near a subway, and one of his big reasons to stay in his neighborhood is he'll need to relearn all the features of a new neighborhood. So what does he do? Take him to a house that is not near a subway and in a neighborhood that looked pretty challenging for someone with visual problems.
Is Love It or List It fake, too? Maybe the first couple knew they were going to "list it," but the producers wanted some drama? In the 2nd case, either he knew he was going to "love it," or he already knew which property he was going to buy, but the producers needed to show additional properties, for the show?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating