Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 08:00 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times

Advertisements

I've often wondered why the house hunting shows don't show people taking their shoes off when they look at a house.

Where I live that's standard. Every house has a little sign asking people to take their shoes off (and some sellers have been known to leave a few extra pairs in the foyer to make it look like lots of buyers are look at a house, LOL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 08:05 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I've often wondered why the house hunting shows don't show people taking their shoes off when they look at a house.

Where I live that's standard. Every house has a little sign asking people to take their shoes off (and some sellers have been known to leave a few extra pairs in the foyer to make it look like lots of buyers are look at a house, LOL).
Where do you live? I hardly see that anywhere. Some houses have shoe cover booties.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post

Not standard where I live. Saw a lot of places before we bought and didn't take off my shoes once.

Maybe it's just not good TV.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:36 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Not standard where I live. Saw a lot of places before we bought and didn't take off my shoes once.

Maybe it's just not good TV.
I could see the Property Brothers having a lot of fun with the whole taking your shoes off thing. Not to mention Chip Gaines!

But sounds like it's not a custom everywhere. Where I live in Loudoun County, Northern Virginia, it's so common that I have an old pair of slip-off shoes that I keep just for going to open houses.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I like the international episodes too, even if it's just a little sliver of something.

Did you see the cave houses episode in Spain?

I know House Hunters is fake, but I just like seeing what is typical of other houses in other areas and price points.

I used to watch Design Star, which I liked, but I don't think it's even on anymore?
Caves in Spain - no, I missed that one and now i want to see it!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen Design Star on for ages.

Like you, I just like seeing different areas and price points and norms. I think it's fascinating.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:06 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
It's funny on House Hunters how at the end of the show, when they are making the
decision which house to choose of the three, both choose the same house every time.
No surprise when you know they already closed on that house before the show.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:04 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
It's funny on House Hunters how at the end of the show, when they are making the
decision which house to choose of the three, both choose the same house every time.
No surprise when you know they already closed on that house before the show.

Yeah, sometimes they really need to work on the acting though.

I did see some episodes of HH International where it seems like the person who didn't want the house they chose is begrudgingly sighing, "I guess I'll go with house three." They're probably still bitter the spouse got his or her way.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:02 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
Rather than showing the couple preparing food in their kitchen or playing with their child in the yard, show me the house once they've moved into it. I want to see what each room looks like.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:44 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
For me, the burning question is, what does Joanna Gaines have against art?

They put up window frames, hardware, molding fragments, signs. They even put up empty picture frames. They put up anything BUT art most of the time. I don't understand how a person who is so immersed in design, can overlook the amazing plethora of art that exists. How about original paintings or drawings or botanical prints or photography?

The pale monochromatic schemes are pretty, but I love color. How can it be that ALL their clients don't care for color?

Joanna Gaines clearly has talent, but needs to move beyond her boundaries.
I agree wholeheartedly with you! I am biased since I AM an artist, but homes without art that reflects the homeowner's tastes are really bland. Having artwork on the walls tells a story about who lives in the home, I think. A pedestrian-looking mirror or window frame just looks like the designer took a page out of a Pottery Barn catalog.

HGTV could definitely use a show that displays original artwork in rooms.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with you! I am biased since I AM an artist, but homes without art that reflects the homeowner's tastes are really bland. Having artwork on the walls tells a story about who lives in the home, I think. A pedestrian-looking mirror or window frame just looks like the designer took a page out of a Pottery Barn catalog.

HGTV could definitely use a show that displays original artwork in rooms.
Amen and amen - and maybe murals. Maybe vibrant wallpapers. Any number of things they aren't showcasing.

I get English Home magazine and believe me, the English aren't minimalists, and they are not afraid of art, murals, wallpapers, antiques, odd shaped rooms, you name it. All these factors and more can really be charming. I want to see more of THAT sort of thing - and definitely more original art!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating