Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 12:14 PM

18,372 posts, read 31,475,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Speaking about ragging on HGTV, here's a funny clip:

This Shiplap Is Killing Me: 8 Things I Hate About HGTV

Love the comment about how they pull up a carpet and there's always a hardwood floor in mint condition! Ha ha if you pull up the carpet at my house, that's not what you're gonna find.

i love the comment about thier profession and they have 1.2M to buy a home and he then says "ef, you", love it.....I think the same thing.

most of his comments are great.

man cave, hello, its my living room, its my house....

and yes, my apartment had the worst shape parquet floor under, when I pulled up the carpet, I mean the worst, beyond salvage....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 12:23 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,016,216 times
Quote:
Speaking about ragging on HGTV, here's a funny clip:

This Shiplap Is Killing Me: 8 Things I Hate About HGTV

Love the comment about how they pull up a carpet and there's always a hardwood floor in mint condition! Ha ha if you pull up the carpet at my house, that's not what you're gonna find.
Actually there is. Before carpent you put in hardwood floors because wood was plentiful back then and you used hand woven wool area rugs.

When wall to wall came out it was a fad. Now it is considered cheap and everyone wants wood. I installed Character Grade Oak, it's all shorts and full of knots. It was the cheapest out there because it was considered waste, not now.

Fads come and go.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:35 PM

18,372 posts, read 31,475,415 times
^ actually back in the 60's it was considered poor to have wood floors.

Our brand new house 1966, (as all the neighbors as well), immediately had wall to wall installed in every room, stairs as well.........

of course now, my parents are still in the same home and all the carpet has since been ripped up and the floors polyed...shame about the few pee stains from the dogs we have had over the years,..,.........

Old 08-03-2017, 01:30 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,016,216 times
My cousins had their house built in the early 60's with hardwood and put in wall to wall in the 70's. They tore it up a few years ago and "Walla", a new floor! Area rugs cover the bad spot. Good cost saving for retirees.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:14 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,373,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Our brand new house 1966, (as all the neighbors as well), immediately had wall to wall installed in every room, stairs as well.........
I don't think it's ever been considered "poor" to have wood. Wall-to-wall carpet was the default for a couple of decades, but carpet has always been cheaper than installing wood floors.

My grandparent's house is the perfect explanation of why people pull up rugs and find perfect hardwood floors. They built their house around 1949 and it had wood floors, which was common. Back then, there were no polyurethane finishes. The floors were waxed on a regular basis, and my grandmother told me how frustrating it was if a visitor walked on the newly waxed floors in high heels. You would see dents in the wax. Sometime in the late 1950s, they put in wall-to-wall carpet and never looked back. She was just tired of the maintenance.

Wood floors fell by the wayside with wall-to-wall, and I don't think it's a coincidence that they became popular again when poly finishes became available. I tried telling Grandma that she could rip up the carpeting and have the floors refinished with polyurethane, but she wasn't interested.

Her house was sold about 15 years ago, and the new owner pulled up the carpet and found perfect hardwood floors.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:51 AM

5,111 posts, read 3,376,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

of course now, my parents are still in the same home and all the carpet has since been ripped up and the floors polyed...shame about the few pee stains from the dogs we have had over the years,..,.........
Yep! I remember exactly when my mother covered the beautiful wood floors in her 1954-built home with green scalloped carpeting. In our area, those with older homes wanted them to look like the new builds that had wall-to-wall. She also wanted to replace the paneled solid wood doors/glass knobs with a flush door. Thankfully, that never happened.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:09 PM

356 posts, read 365,748 times
In all the shows the cost of the project is WAAAAAY under what is costs in the real world.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:35 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,089,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2 View Post
In all the shows the cost of the project is WAAAAAY under what is costs in the real world.
So true. Especially when it comes to things like kitchen remodels. There's no way I could do a major remodel on my kitchen for the prices they quote.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:12 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,363,799 times
Quote:
So true. Especially when it comes to things like kitchen remodels. There's no way I could do a major remodel on my kitchen for the prices they quote.
Right! Oh my gosh, our kitchen remodel cost nearly...well, I won't say but it was a LOT!!!!!

And I'll tell you what surprised me. When you gut a master bath and start over, it can cost almost as much as a kitchen remodel. The fixtures - OH MY GOSH. The bathtub. The shower. The cabinets. The sinks, the toilet, the tile, the paint, the trim. Sheeze.

Now to clarify, we don't do any part of the remodeling ourselves - it's all done by someone else. All we do is pay for it and then decorate - LOL. But still - when we see the prices quoted on TV for reno work - and someone else is doing the work - we just roll our eyes. Obviously no labor costs are included, and generally they must be going cheap on materials too.

The thing we've realized you have to consider is the quality of materials and workmanship common for your specific neighborhood (when it comes to resale). Now, I'm not considering if a person or couple really is a bona fide "handy man" or really has all the equipment and knows what they're doing. I'm talking about average folks who don't do this sort of thing on a regular basis. If you live in a neighborhood of custom homes with high end finishes and materials, if you're concerned about resale, you can't go cheap. Cheap cabinets and fixtures and all that LOOK cheap - either right away or within just a few years.

But for instance, in my parents' old neighborhood - the neighborhood was tract homes. The materials were builder grade. If they had torn out the builder grade cabinets and installed upscale cabinets, they might not have gotten their money back at resale. Same with flooring and fixtures and doors, etc. But in our neighborhood, if we'd ripped out the outdated but very nice cabinetry and replaced it with builder grade stuff used in tract homes, it would have been obvious and a detriment to resale.

So there's lots to consider when you're remodeling.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:07 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,089,038 times
I just don't get the point of making these renovations seem less expensive than they really would be. Why not show the realistic costs for people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating