Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 12:32 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times

Advertisements

This might be a bit premature to be talking about this but we have a HUGE garage that (hopefully) will be pretty empty in the next year-if everything goes as planned. At that point, we need to decide what we want to do with it.

Here is a pic of it:

As you can see, it is large-two bay-two story. Right now, there is a whole bunch of crap...er...stuff in there that we are getting rid of. I have had a series of yard sales and plan on having at least 2 this year. Hopefully that will be enough to clean it out for the most part. (At least now we can actually walk in it-last year we couldn't even do that.)

We plan on having it painted-but that is put on hold until the boat that is sitting in front of it is gone. (Anyone want to buy a 25 ft sailboat?)

There are boards on the second floor that need to be replaced, the windows need to be replaced and we are going to electrify it. (It was at one time-you can see the old knob & tube.)

So, once it is cleared out, we will have all that space that we really don't know what to do it. I know the first thing that people will say is to put our car in it. We have thought about that. The garage is quite a ways from the house and it will be more convenient to leave the car where we have it in the driveway next to the house. Also, if we keep the car in the garage in the winter, then we have to shovel/plow just to even GET to the garage. We would love to keep our camper van in the garage in the winter but it is too tall for the garage doors.

Of course the lawn mower, weed-wacker, and such will be stored in there.

We hate to just leave it empty.

Some ideas we have been tossing around:

-Having it set up for garage sales. We have dismissed this idea because it sits so far back from the road that most people will miss it. We do better having the sales in the front yard even though it is inconvenient carrying the crap...er....stuff back and forth.

-Hot tub. Yeah, that sounds great but it cost a lot of $$$ because you have to keep it heated even when you are not using it.

-Sauna. This is more realistic. We only have to turn it on a few minutes before we use it and then turn it off when we are done. But, that only takes up a small part of the garage and we still have a lot of room left. I believe we can use this in the cold weather.

-Putting in an exercise room was also thrown around but neither one of us would really use it and it would be a total waste of $$$$.

-I thought about holding dances in there in the summer. It is unheated and we are NOT going to heat it (too expensive). The downstairs flooring is uneven and we may be able do it upstairs once we replace the rotted floorboards.

These are some of the ideas we have thrown around. Any other ideas will be gratefully appreciated. Just keep in mind, it is NOT heated (nor will it be) and we are dealing with New England winters.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 01:00 PM

993 posts, read 766,848 times
Could you rent it out to someone who needs to store a boat, car, camping equipment, etc.?
I can't think of anything else. Is there anything wrong with just letting it sit empty?

Old 03-12-2017, 01:14 PM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
How solid is the foundation?

Old 03-12-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
How solid is the foundation?

There really isn't a foundation-just cement slabs (plural-which is why the floor is uneven).

Cat

Old 03-12-2017, 01:34 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Is it stable? How is the roof?

What kind of dances are you referring to? Family?

If it is stable I think the idea of renting it to someone who needs to store a boat or car under cover could be could but check on your insurance policy.

I am partial to yard sales so I would set up tables and have things ready to go. When you feel like having a sale just put a sign out by the road and do some free advertising.

Do you have electric to it? Maybe if you are crafty/artsy you could offer some classes.

If you ever get a windfall you could turn it into an apartment.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Is it stable? How is the roof?

What kind of dances are you referring to? Family?

If it is stable I think the idea of renting it to someone who needs to store a boat or car under cover could be could but check on your insurance policy.

I am partial to yard sales so I would set up tables and have things ready to go. When you feel like having a sale just put a sign out by the road and do some free advertising.

Do you have electric to it? Maybe if you are crafty/artsy you could offer some classes.

If you ever get a windfall you could turn it into an apartment.

The roof needs a little repair (the ridge cap needs to be replace) but otherwise, it is pretty stable.

We were thinking of contra dances (true New England custom).

Yeah, having it set up for a garage sale would be VERY convenient. I wouldn't have to get up at 6 in the morning to set up and have people come and look through things as I was setting up (been there, done that). But we were lose costumers. If the garage was closer to the road it would be a different story. But, it sits back behind the house which you really can't see it from the road. Even with a sign at the end of the driveway, we would still lose costumers and the idea is to have as many costumers as possible to buy our crap...er...stuff to make more room in the garage.

We WILL have electricity in it-just not at the moment.

Cat

Old 03-12-2017, 03:27 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
How is it zoned? What are your building codes? How much do you want to spend? How handy are you?

If it was mine, I would want to turn it into a guest house with studio on side. That would mean slab foundation, plumbing & heating & electrical.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:42 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Start with an engineer to assess general condition objectively... and suitability for X or Y.
Go from there.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:14 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
It is super charming. If you are sure that you do not want to store vehicles in it, then I would make the second floor into a guest house or studio, and the lower half for the mowers, and garden tools, etc.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:07 PM

I guess people didn't read my first post. I said that it is NOT heated and will NOT be heated-which leaves out any type of living space. Of course there is also no plumbing in it either-again, we are not planning to install plumbing. If we were to ever win the lottery, then maybe we will think about that but at this point in time, it is totally out of the question.

I told my husband that maybe he could use it (in the summer) as a studio for his painting. He said that it would depend on the lighting.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating