Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:38 PM

711 posts, read 688,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I have wood floors in the kitchen. It is fine. Buckets of water are not dropped on the floor, you would wipe spills just as fast as if you had tile...

wood is dureable for traffic, same as the other rooms.

as far as dropping stuff, its the same as dropping stuff on a tile....and a ceramic tile will crack, the wood wont.

Im happy with the wood floor in my kitchen. So, i think they are practical.
Ditto.

Actually I've dropped stuff on our wood floor that made a small dent in the floor. On tile, the jar would have shattered. Tiny dents and "character marks" in the wood fortunately don't bother me in the least.

Also, there's the comfort factor for me. I've cooked in kitchens with tile floors. After a while it really wears on your knees and back. Tile floors have absolutely no give at all. Wood floors are much easier on my body I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 01:45 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
Quote:
I have wood floors in the kitchen. It is fine. Buckets of water are not dropped on the floor, you would wipe spills just as fast as if you had tile...

wood is dureable for traffic, same as the other rooms.

as far as dropping stuff, its the same as dropping stuff on a tile....and a ceramic tile will crack, the wood wont.

Im happy with the wood floor in my kitchen. So, i think they are practical.
Wood can dent or chip

I think wood in a kitchen looks pretty

Old 03-31-2017, 08:58 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Wood can dent or chip

I think wood in a kitchen looks pretty

when i get a few chips i just wipe some stain on it, no big deal, they go away.

the dents dont bother me at all, it adds character of the home.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:50 AM

19,211 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
when i get a few chips i just wipe some stain on it, no big deal, they go away.

the dents dont bother me at all, it adds character of the home.
This made me chuckle. I recently watched an episode of Restored where they took a heavy chain and whacked the heck out of a newly installed wood floor to give it the "aged" look. Afterwards, they stained and varnished it. It turned out beautiful. The more dings the better. hehe

Old 03-31-2017, 11:00 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This made me chuckle. I recently watched an episode of Restored where they took a heavy chain and whacked the heck out of a newly installed wood floor to give it the "aged" look. Afterwards, they stained and varnished it. It turned out beautiful. The more dings the better. hehe
its either gonna give it character, or you can have a coronary everytime there is a ding in the floor

I chose to call it character.......its a lot easier on the heart

Old 03-31-2017, 12:21 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
It depends on the wood. Some people's wood in their kitchens look terrible (that I see in real life)

Tile is more durable no matter how you look at it, it's just about what look you want

Old 04-02-2017, 01:11 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm not a big fan of subway tile and I generally don't like those little tiny mosaic tiles. Some of them I like, most of them, I don't

However, I cook. I want the wall behind the stove to be easy to wipe off and the best way to do that is to have a lot of tile with a smooth finish back there. I prefer the walls around the sink to be water proof, not only where the sink splashes but behind where I pile the wet pots and pans that I have just washed. Water ruins paint so I want tile in those areas and I want it high, not just a little band of it.

I've lived with tile counter tops and I really like them. I don't understand all the complaints about grout because I have never had any problem with mine, not on the counter tops, not on the floors. In fact, I don't want wood on my kitchen floors. I want waterproof, so tile for the kitchen floor, too.
OMG, when I lived in CA, I had a new-construction condo that had a countertop of white ceramic tile with white grout. This was really before granite came on the scene, so tile counters were very common in CA. WELL, I would not even dare pour my coffee over that counter! I've never seen a white or beige grout that didn't eventually get some darkening in the area where crumbs/dirt are wiped or swept.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:00 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I have wood floors in the kitchen and they look pretty and that's about it. Had a major water leak that was hidden and damaged several planks. Hate scratches. Next time it will be wood look tile.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:28 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I have wood floors in the kitchen and they look pretty and that's about it. Had a major water leak that was hidden and damaged several planks. Hate scratches. Next time it will be wood look tile.
I had wood kitchen floors in a previous home and the dishwasher overflowed twice. Luckily I caught it quickly so I could mop it up. The first time, some of the wood planks warped and I was sick; however, I ran a fan on it all night and in a day or two, the warping was gone! Now in this condo, I have laminate. I had no idea laminate is not supposed to get wet! So I have to follow my dogs around with a paper towel when they drip their water across the kitchen.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
OMG, when I lived in CA, I had a new-construction condo that had a countertop of white ceramic tile with white grout. This was really before granite came on the scene, so tile counters were very common in CA. WELL, I would not even dare pour my coffee over that counter! I've never seen a white or beige grout that didn't eventually get some darkening in the area where crumbs/dirt are wiped or swept.
I have porcelain tile counters (large tiles) and backsplash. I have grown to appreciate them. I have narrow grout lines, and much of the surface has been regrouted with epoxy grout which does resist staining.

However, coffee will stain grout, even epoxy grout that is gray. It is the one weakness in my surface.

Otherwise, the porcelain tile counter is the best counter I've ever had, and I am happy to keep it. I do wish the original owner had installed a nicer backsplash though. I think backsplash and counters that are the same are boring in a kitchen. But I've noticed that this seemed to be the standard for builder homes a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating