Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 03:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,913,792 times

Advertisements

I liked the show for several years. But I disliked Doug's prankishness, which could result in stupid rooms. The others were often OK, I thought. I think Vern seemed the most interested in pleasing the owners.

I think much of the charm of the show was the chemistry between the designers and caroenters and homeowners. Some of the later designers were not very good.

I am moderately interested in seeing this show return, but I can't imagine that the original hosts and decorators will be in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 03:27 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,014,407 times
I enjoyed watching but I would never be on the show in a million years. I wonder where they will find people gullible enough to go on now, after some of those classic nightmares!

Old 03-30-2017, 05:51 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,902,857 times
The part I never really understood was where did they find people who would allow their neighbors to do this. If I had a great relationship with a neighbor this might be the best way to end it depending upon the outcome. Why anyone take that chance is beyond me.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:57 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,172,704 times
The worst one I saw was, I think Hilde, put a hundreds of black and yellow wine labels all over the kitchen walls of a youth pastor that used his home for kids. He was pretty upset. The neighbors even told Hilde that it wouldn't work for the youth pastor. It was ugly and inappropriate. They "Design" whatever they wanted with no thought of the homeowner whatsoever. In fact the designers weren't. They didn't have any schooling or degrees in interior design. I hope the new show finds actual designers this time.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:08 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,159,201 times
I think Hilde was the one I didn't like. I remember one lady had some sort of distaste for feet and the designer insisted on putting huge pictures - something - of feet and the owner was horrified. Then one put something on the walls that looked like grass.

Now if they got real designers and designed with the owner's likes/dislikes in mind it might be ok. Yeah, I'd never do that. My neighbors are nutty anyway...

Old 03-31-2017, 07:35 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,271,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I remember watching it for a while. At some point I actually stopped because I got stressed watching what often was a trainwreck being inflicted on someone else's home.

Nah can't stress. It was made for TV. I imagine a lot of things were fixed after the TV episodes. There were some hideous designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I think Hilde was the one I didn't like. I remember one lady had some sort of distaste for feet and the designer insisted on putting huge pictures - something - of feet and the owner was horrified. Then one put something on the walls that looked like grass.

Now if they got real designers and designed with the owner's likes/dislikes in mind it might be ok. Yeah, I'd never do that. My neighbors are nutty anyway...

Genevieve was the foot woman. Yeah...a little strange for TV.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:12 AM

49,968 posts, read 63,265,686 times
That will be interesting to watch. I liked Laurie the best. She always did a beautiful job. Hildi was the one who went for shock value. Remember the straw walls?
I cringed when they put a fitted sheet on a twin mattress and called it a sofa. They did that all the time.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:37 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,463,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That will be interesting to watch. I liked Laurie the best. She always did a beautiful job. Hildi was the one who went for shock value. Remember the straw walls?
I cringed when they put a fitted sheet on a twin mattress and called it a sofa. They did that all the time.
That was unforgettable, worse than Horrible!

Old 03-31-2017, 05:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,913,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
The worst one I saw was, I think Hilde, put a hundreds of black and yellow wine labels all over the kitchen walls of a youth pastor that used his home for kids. He was pretty upset. The neighbors even told Hilde that it wouldn't work for the youth pastor. It was ugly and inappropriate. They "Design" whatever they wanted with no thought of the homeowner whatsoever. In fact the designers weren't. They didn't have any schooling or degrees in interior design. I hope the new show finds actual designers this time.
I remember that episode. Didn't she have to figure out a different use for the wine rack? I totally agree with the last sentence you wrote. And while they are at it, get good carpenters, too.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:30 AM

9,776 posts, read 7,028,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Somebody at HGTV should be FIRED!

That show didn't even fit into the fold of "entertainment"- it was more like horror knocking on your door!
Now let's not blame the folks at HGTV. The show is coming back to TLC where it was before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating