Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I regret choosing to build a new home, even though I love it, it is too far out from work and activities. I spend too much time in the car and the shift in buyer preferences since the 2009 meltdown has resulted in fewer people interested in living in an exburb. I made the mistake of thinking that building in a beautiful tranquil setting would make everyday like a vacation yet the getting away feeling is not the same when the realities of everyday life get in the way.
Do you regret the house itself, or just the location? It sounds like you couldn't get one without the other, but just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 07:26 PM

396 posts, read 421,616 times
Very interesting thread! Good to know I'm not alone with my regrets in house buying.

Lincolnian, we used to live in CT and I'm curious about your ex-burb. Before moving to CT, we lived out in the country in VA and I know exactly what you mean about everyday life getting in the way. I felt like I never left the car. When you run out of milk and it's a good 20-25 minutes one way to get more, ugh.

We got a much nicer house of course than if we lived closer to town. But that "nice" comes at a price.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:04 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
I remodeled my home 10 years ago -- all new windows, two large garden windows, new doors throughout, plantation shutters throughout, new flooring throughout, remodeled two bathrooms and the kitchen, added 20 new outlets and 12 new lightswitches and 1,200 sq ft paver patio, among other things.

The kitchen remodeling came last and I had originally intended to enlarge it by moving one wall into the garage. However, the guy in charge of all the remodeling was a perfectionist and doing everything but the kitchen took almost a year. By the time he got to the kitchen and had hand-made the cabinets, I was so tired of living in a demolition zone that I decided not to move the wall. The kitchen is lovely (as is everything) but I've always regretted not having it enlarged.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:38 AM

973 posts, read 915,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
However, the guy in charge of all the remodeling was a perfectionist.

Sounds like a problem many people would like to have

Old 05-01-2017, 11:10 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Sounds like a problem many people would like to have

LOL. Yes, I love the results of his remodeling but it did get frustrating at the time.

For example, when putting in new flooring throughout the 1,200 sq ft house, he spent a full week laying out all the tile to make sure that the layout was perfect in each room and that the layout flowed just right from room to room. Then he spent another 2+ weeks installing all the tile. And, of course, my dogs and I had to stay in a motel for those 3+ weeks.

And you cant begin to imagine the time he spent hand-making the kitchen cabinets. They're gorgeous and have garnered compliments from very experienced cabinet-makers -- but, OMG, what an ordeal it was living in the house then.

In retrospect, it was well worth the inconveniences but, after almost a year, I was ready to be done with it all.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:12 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
We did a cosmetic upgrade to our guest bathroom. I chose small, unglazed white tiles and white grout. They are a nightmare to keep clean. They will be coming out in the future for something that has fewer grout lines and a glazed surface.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:04 PM

284 posts, read 269,466 times
I love my house but my " master bath" eh. Tiny tiny. I use the hall bath �� otherwise I've loved both my houses for different reasons. I love.designing so they're both beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating