Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 09:27 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,314,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Where do you start?

Where do I start? Why were these things NOT done when you picked the cabinets? What happens when an exhaustive search turns up nothing? Do you ditch these cabinets for something else; because you could find nothing that appeals to You?

This is a perfect example of why you DONT START a project unless everything has been picked, and ordered. There's nothing more frustrating than drawing out a project for months on end because decisions can't be made about simple things like "hardware"!
Oh stop it.. You're just being silly.

I have no doubt that I will find everything I need without an 'exhaustive' search as you call it. Good grief, I've got more granite and tile stores, big box stores, Sears and other assorted stores that sell all that I need within a 5 mile radius than your average person.
I could always ask them but I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone a little bit and get opinions from others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
We've had possession of this new house since Dec 30th. I still haven't chosen the hardware for the drawers or cabinets. I can still open and close them. They still are useable. The builder does not do the hardware, that's up to us, which is great. But there are soooooo many out there.

Why not just let them be and not have handles? Let the new owners get what they like.
I would leave off the handles, but they're not the type of cabinets that you can. Maybe it's because they're soft close drawers but they're hard to pull open at first and I don't want to damage the cabinets.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:35 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,841,543 times
well if youre selling, pick something neutral. It doesnt matter if YOU like tuscan bronze if the buyer HATES it.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I agree stick with stainless or nickel
Keep the cabinet pulls classic but simple
I don't what paint color you are using, but I would just make sure you go light enough with these cabinets so the room isn't too dark
What color is your countertop? I would do a simple light colored backsplash picking a color out of the granite, probably cream or white
The cabinets are dark (and very nice) but you want to make sure the rest of it is light enough that it doesn't start looking too dark
I haven't picked out the counter top yet, but that's a good idea about choosing a color from it for the backsplash and the wall color. Hubby want's to get started painting so I guess we'll go counter top shopping today. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Stainless and nickel pulls / knobs are great for white / gray cabinetry.

For more traditional wood tones you should consider other metals -- bronze, antiqued brass, copper.
There are thousands of good options.

I'd also advise against a stainless steel sink
-- look at other metals, porcelain over cast iron, or composites. Those will allow for a faucet that is complimentary to the other hardware.

Need to try to achieve something that looks "harmonious" not merely "built by folks with no sense of style".

Frankly the OP should have worked with designers to pre-select the whole range of options; when folks don't do that the end result often screams "first time DIY remodeler" and the perception is this is the WORST kind of flip...

Thanks!

Yep, that's kind of what I was thinking with these cabinets. I think a dark handle or knob would look better against the cabinets, but then I wasn't sure if i should go that route with a faucet too. I'm rethinking the stainless steel sink now too.

I'm aiming for the harmonious look and that's why I'm posting here and getting opinions..

Old 04-15-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Many of the new modern kitchens are coming out now with no handles, so there is a sleek look across the kitchen. I don't this would suit your cabinet style, however. I think if it were me I would go for handles, not pulls, and have them in metal, but not shiny metal, something very subdued so as not to detract from the style of your cabinets. Your husband did a great job, BTW.
Thank you. He did.

I agree. Handles that are more subdued would probably look better. I'm actually leaning towards a dark bronze.

and I just want to throw this out here not intended for you but for any of the other posters that scream DIY'ers and 'flip' making it sound like we did a shoddy half assed job on the kitchen..

This isn't my husbands first kitchen that he's redone. The other one is still standing after many years.. My husband is completely OCD about getting things level and plumb to the nth degree. Math and tiny fractions are his thing thank goodness because it might as well be a foreign language to me. Even the woodwork that hasn't been installed yet is only 1/16th of an inch off around the windows to the other cabinets.

Our 'kid's' are plumbers and electricians so the lighting, new outlets, and plumbing are all being installed according to code by licensed people.

Last edited by elliedeee; 04-15-2017 at 10:51 AM..

Old 04-15-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
well if youre selling, pick something neutral. It doesnt matter if YOU like tuscan bronze if the buyer HATES it.
True, but I can't please everybody and that's what where my problem lies. I know what I like, but I'm trying to appeal a wide range of buyers which is what's causing my confusion. Maybe I should just go with what appeals to me and let the new buyers figure out what they want to do.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:18 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,495,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
True, but I can't please everybody and that's what where my problem lies. I know what I like, but I'm trying to appeal a wide range of buyers which is what's causing my confusion. Maybe I should just go with what appeals to me and let the new buyers figure out what they want to do.
I agree, I wouldn't overthink it. The cabinets and appliances are the major expense. Even if your buyers don't love the backsplash or knobs or faucet, they can easily change that out for minimal expense.

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I agree, I wouldn't overthink it. The cabinets and appliances are the major expense. Even if your buyers don't love the backsplash or knobs or faucet, they can easily change that out for minimal expense.

Good luck!
Thanks and you're right. They could always change those things out. Heck, they may even rip out the whole kitchen so I might as well get what I like.

I was overthinking this by trying to appeal to different buyers and of course, in the back of my mind I'm thinking of every HGTV show I've ever watched which was only clouding my judgement even more.. At one point I was even debating whether to go with a glass tile backsplash because that's 'in' now, but that definitely wouldn't go with the cabinets so I'll stick with a stone of some kind. I like them better anyway. I'm glad I posted here because now I'm more confident in the direction I want to go with the counter top, back splash, faucets and knobs.

I'll start with the counter top and work from there to find a backsplash and wall color. I'm really leaning towards a dark bronze faucet because I love the look of them and I'd do a dark bronze cabinet pull and probably dark bronze pendant light over the sink. Fortunately, I have an extra cabinet door and flooring so I can take them with me when I go counter top shopping.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
The kitchen cabinets are finally installed.

I need to pick out a faucet, countertop, backsplash, kitchen knobs or handles, and a range hood. My appliances are SS. My question is... where do I start? Should the cabinet pulls be SS like the sink, faucet and appliances? Do you think I should get knobs, or handles.. or a combination? Should I even get a SS faucet or should I go for a Tuscan bronze or something? and would the cabinet handles have to match that?
Since the handle on my fridge is rounded.. should I get round edge cabinet pulls?

Am I overthinking this?

and I need to paint.. any suggestions on color? The rest of the house is painted in Light French Gray which is a bluish gray.

We're planning on selling and I'd like to make the kitchen appeal to buyers of all ages but I'm really out of my comfort zone trying to pick these things out.

help...
Pretty cabs. Since they are traditional, I'd put knobs or handles on them.

Your finishes should blend or match the rest of your house, I think. I don't think I'd put black, for instance, in a kitchen when the rest of the house uses brass and chrome. I think you are safe using one of the cool metals, like polished chrome, or nickel. But choose your knobs and sink fixtures together, so they look like they belong together.

I'd choose sink, counter, fixtures and knobs at the same time. Visit places and get samples or pics and then take them home to see how you like them. I'd have the kitchen reflect what you like, which should make it look unified, which is important.

where to use knobs vs handles--pix requested This site might help you know where to put knobs and handles.

Choose pulls that blend well with the traditional lines of your cabs. Don't use modern looking hardware with traditional cabs, especially if you are selling soon.

For counters, most people respond to granite or quartz. So, if one of those surfaces is what you are intending to buy, you should do well. You can easily Google for info on these surfaces to decide which one you want.

We've been discussing back splashes recently. A nice tile back splash or wall between counter and upper cabs makes a kitchen look upscale.

With the warm wood tones you've chosen for cabs, I'd think first about choosing a cool wall tone. I have used several tones of gray in my home, and I continue to like how it looks. I think gray works especially well if you have white trim in your rooms. You could move a gray to the green or blue side, and still have a different look in the kitchen. If your kitchen lacks light, I'd choose a light, warm color, even though normally I like cool tones with warm wood tones. Most people like a light filled kitchen. But I'd stay from intense warm tones, even as a wall accent.

I think you've gotten a really good start. I think your kitchen will be beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating