Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 04:50 PM

16 posts, read 9,383 times

Advertisements

I live in the UK and recently moved into a studio apartment / flat all the rooms are seperate except the living area and bedroom area. Due to the weird shape and layout and window position I am struggling to work out the best way to divide the room. I currently have it divided by a curtain and display book case shelf but im starting to get a little tired of the layout and would like to do something better, i have even considered having a stud wall room made for a bedroom but due to the layout i dont see how it could be done.

if anyone could help me with the layout and the best way to divide the room I would appreciate it.

I have attached two floor plan photos. Ive attached one floor plan with the room empty and one floor plan with the location of my furniture on it.

P.S. I cant seem to find a way to attach a photo, the thread i found explaining how to do it doesnt seem to work for me as i dont have an album or photo upload option on my settings so i have pasted a link to these images from photo bucket, i hope this is ok and sorry if this is against the rules but I don't know how to do it.

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r615/BabyBird30/floor%20plan_zpsemvdw4uv.jpg

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r615/BabyBird30/Pic%20009%20Room%20Layout_zpste2wzpph.jpg

thanks

Last edited by BabyBird30; 04-16-2017 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 06:42 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
I have not been able to open it.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I have not been able to open it.
did you try to copy and paste the link into your browser

if you can tell me how to upload the images to this thread ill do that

thanks

Old 04-16-2017, 10:13 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
You can't post images because you're a new member-

I looked at the images, your layout is probably the best for the space. Face it; it's an efficiency apt. Don't try to make it something it's not.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:19 AM

30,530 posts, read 16,226,596 times
I agree that there's not much you could do in terms of use of the areas. If you just want a change, maybe get rid of the sofa and get some chairs. Or get a sofa/loveseat that makes into a bed, sleep in the seating area and turn the current bed area into something you like better-chair looking out the window? Desk? Craft room?

Old 04-17-2017, 07:44 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBird30 View Post
I live in the UK and recently moved into a studio apartment / flat all the rooms are seperate except the living area and bedroom area. Due to the weird shape and layout and window position I am struggling to work out the best way to divide the room.
You said all other rooms are separate, so does that mean the kitchen/kitchenette, eating area, and bathroom exist but are just not represented in your diagram? That will help determine what items need to go into that space and shape ideas on arrangement.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
You said all other rooms are separate, so does that mean the kitchen/kitchenette, eating area, and bathroom exist but are just not represented in your diagram? That will help determine what items need to go into that space and shape ideas on arrangement.
No, I have a full size kitchen and bathroom and hallway, they are completly seperate rooms like you would have in a house which is why i didnt include them in the diagram

when you walk in the front door there is a small hall way, the kitchen door is straight ahead, the bathroom door is straight ahead to the left, there is a closet in the hall way to the left and the joined living room and bedroom door is to the right in the hall way

the diagram is just the bedroom and living room area, there is nothing else that needs to go in there except bedroom and living room furniture

I am pretty much realising now that the layout i have is probably the best as i cant figure out a better way, but its the partition that is bugging me, id like something a little more permanent instead of a curtain , the guy in the apartment above me has the same layout and he put up one of those thick glass brick walls as a partition and it looks rather nice but im not sure that the style would fit in with my decor and style. it would need to be something semi transparent as there is only one large window and i need the light to be able to come through the divider into the living room area

Old 04-17-2017, 12:02 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,359 times
Gotcha. So eating area and dining furniture are in the kitchen?

Old 04-17-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Gotcha. So eating area and dining furniture are in the kitchen?
yes

Old 04-17-2017, 12:37 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
If the dimensions work you could move the bed nearer the window and put your chest of drawers in the bump out. Flip your sofa so that the back of it abuts the foot of your bed and put a divider between the bed and sofa. That leaves an open walk space along the entire front side of the room and you can put your shelving unit across from the sofa next to the radiator.

Room divider could be a semi-transparent shower curtain if you are on a tight budget, or a shoji screen type of thing ( https://www.allmodern.com/Room-Dividers-C511297.html ) or if budget allows a nice wooden divider that has angled slats to let light through while providing a bit of privacy, similar in idea to this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9acaf0627c.jpg

Another advantage to moving the bed is that as it is now you need a divider across the entire space to give privacy between sitting and sleeping area. Move the bed and you only need a screen across a portion of that area, you can leave that walkway area open for light and still have the desired privacy.

Last edited by DubbleT; 04-17-2017 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating