Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of sink do you prefer?
ONE big sink 51 52.58%
TWO smaller sinks (divided sink) 46 47.42%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 01:48 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times

Advertisements

What do you prefer?

1) ONE large sink?

2) Sink divided into TWO smaller sinks?

Feel free to state your reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 01:54 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
For myself, I prefer one large sink.

I really hate not being able to submerge large roasting pans or pots. I especially hate having to rock large pans over the divide while trying to rinse them. So messy.

Also, you can use a plastic tub if you need to stack dishes in the sink, which works as a divided sink . . . but only when you need it.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:57 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,798 times
Well, of the two options you provided, I prefer one large sink. I voted as such. But that I really like is my mom's sink. She has a divided sink that has one side as large as my single large sink and then a smaller, shallow sink right next to it where she drop drying pots, fruits and veggies, etc.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:31 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Divided, but both sides of generous proportions.

One side is filled with hot soapy water. The other side with scalding hot water.

Wash. Dunk to rinse. Set on rack on drain board. This is the lowest water usage way to hand wash dishes.

Honestly, when I have had a double sink, I've never had trouble getting big things into the sink to wash. Some things are big enough you have to tip and turn them, but that's not much of a problem.

I also use the sink as a sink, not as a trash can. Clippings, scrapings, leaves cut off the tops of vegetables, etc., go straight into the garbage, not into the sink.

Best scheme of all is what they call a "drainboard sink" where there's 24" or so of stainless on either side of the sink which slopes gently back into the sink. However, I've never had one of these in a double sink configuration. Maybe someday.

Greatly prefer stainless steel sinks. Drop an iron skillet into a porcelain sink and you are likely to chip the enamel making a permanent unsightly scar. A small dent in a stainless steel sink is much less visible.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:40 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
For myself, I prefer one large sink.

I really hate not being able to submerge large roasting pans or pots. I especially hate having to rock large pans over the divide while trying to rinse them. So messy.

Also, you can use a plastic tub if you need to stack dishes in the sink, which works as a divided sink . . . but only when you need it.
I posted exactly this in a different thread sometime in the past day or two. Love, love, love my huge, deep, single sink and the ability to soak and wash extra large stockpots and pans and baking sheets.

And my sink is so deep that I can clear the table into it and you don't see the dishes, so if I am entertain, I don't need to worry about the dishes distracting anyone from enjoying themselves. (Do dishes actually distract anyone from relaxing and having a good time? They never have for me)

Old 05-22-2017, 02:42 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
btw, here's my earlier poll on the same subject

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...-kitchens.html

Old 05-22-2017, 04:00 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Neither. For me it has to be two BIG sinks.

Had the one big sink but I LOVE the fact that I now have a BIG double sink. Sometimes I wonder how I managed with only one sink for so long.

Cat

Old 05-22-2017, 04:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
However many sink bowls your space allows you to have...
ONE of them needs to be large enough to fit your biggest pan to soak.

It should be large enough to bathe a baby as well.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:55 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I prefer one large sink because I have tiny dogs and it is perfect to bathe them in and I'm not bending over killing my back . also big enough to put big pots and pans in to soak and or clean .

Old 05-22-2017, 06:04 PM

247 posts, read 363,735 times
I love double sinks. I like having one area where I can soak anything except large pans or pots (which can soak just as well on the counter since the area that needs soaking is inside) while there's another side that's clean where I can rinse vegetables, handwash a couple quick items, etc. I've had both one large single and good-sized double sinks, and double is best for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating